Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 15:10

Plan: mainly M&E
Stats: 150.5/144.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:Visible!
Progress: 24%

Hey guys first off I want to congratulate everyone on how well you all are doing!!!! And sitting here reading this thread gave me a sudden craving for the swe*ts word but Im trying to block it out!!!!!

I have a quick question though. (changing the subject from the "S" word) Im only on day 4 of my induction and I have already lost 5 lbs. Does that sound like to much?? By no means am I complaining but I just feel so worn out all day long and I was just wondering if my rate of weight loss is healthy. I cant sleep at night very well, and I find myself getting up after only about 5 hours of sleep, versus the 9-10 I was used to just last week. And once Im up Im up, there is no nap cause I just can not fall asleep.

I am also on a backwards schedule since I work at night from about 1am-5am (i deliver newspapers...NO LAUGHING!!!!! ) and I go to sleep at about 6 am and Usually get up around 2-3pm. Now Im up by 11 everyday!! Im not used to all this sunlight....could that possibly bedraining me of energy???

Sorry to sound like a noob here if I am

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!!!!

Last edited by EciGirl19z : Fri, May-09-03 at 15:16.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 205/197.5/160
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hello Carl, Thanks for the advice, but,,I don't know if I could break the diet cherry coke or diet red mt dew habit, I thought I was going to die when I had to give up the regular coke. THe diet soda's help to not cheat.
Well Monday it will be two weeks and ive only lost 5 pds, this gets me upset a little, ive been trying to do everything by the book, but still no progress, and then there is my freind who everyonce in awhile eats bread and still has lost 12pds !! I don't know what to do, can anyone relate with me on this problem, HELP ,,, anyone else have the same problem?

I hope everyone has a VERY GOOD WEEKEND!!

Jo
  #48   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 15:21
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Ecigirl, I was the same way about being tired, but I got some pottasium supplements and take them with my noon meal and it helps me get thru the rest of the day, and I can't take naps eithier no matter how hard I try, but I do sleep sound, give it a few more days and I bet you start sleeping better. Are you drinking diet cola with caffeinne? I can't do that close to bed time or I can't fall asleep.

GOod Luck,,

Jo
  #49   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 17:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/200/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi, Carl! Boy, you have done great! How long have you been LCing? Are you doing Atkins? You're quite the inspiration!

Hi, EciGirl! Glad you're here! I wouldn't worry about losing too fast during Induction. As long as you're doing what you're supposed to and getting enough carbs, fat and calories and drinking all the water you should. Your body will even things out eventually and will thank you! You're going to have to detox for a few days and allow yourself to go thru withdrawal. The sleep problem is a clear indication of withdrawal. Again, hang in there and things will even out when they're supposed to!

Jo, here's a 'bonk' on the head! That's for the diet drinks! I know they're tough to kick...I've done it too. Diet Dr. Pepper was my drug! Instead of going cold turkey (no one says you have to do it the hard way) slack off on them. Cut the amount you drink each day by just 1/4, then after a week, cut the amount by another 1/4. Before you know it, you'll be rid of them! They could be causing your body to hold on to some of that weight. I've had to do that again with coffee. The bonus to that (other than the obvious) is, when you have a really rough morning or have had a really rough night, you can drink a little caffeine and it will really do the trick. That's because your body is no longer used to it. Ok, ok...end of lecture. Forgive me!

See ya'll later!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 17:59

Well thanks for the encouragement guys!!

Jo- No I dont drink anything other than water. Hopefully my sleeplessnes will come to an end soon like you guys said!!! And Ill have to try the pottasium.

Thanks for the help everyone
  #51   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 18:02

Quote:
Originally posted by Darlene63
Hi, Carl! Boy, you have done great! How long have you been LCing? Are you doing Atkins? You're quite the inspiration!

AMEN!!!!!
  #52   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 21:28
Registered Member

BF:
Default BP out rageous

Hey Darlene,,thanks for the bonk on the head,,LOL, I need that. Ok first of all I want to tell you that im going to try to quit so many diet cola's! Next, I went to walmart supercenter tonight and checked my blood pressure, and it was 147/90 , I could not belive that was my BP, it is usually fair. Im not sure what is going on with me. I don't know if its the abusive boyfriend, my teen, the worrying, or the somthing in the diet or all of the above! This has really got me scared. I walk every other night , I drink lots of water. It says in the book that BP goes down but mine has gone up !
Im going to hang in there tho. again im so thakful for this web site its awsome and the people and the support they give you is wonderful. !!
  #53   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 05:30

BF:

Jo, sounds like things are pretty rough at home. I'll just give you soft bonks next time! Your higher BP could be a result of all of it. Also, it's known that the caffeine in coffee and sodas raise BP, but I'd think your body would get used to it after a while. Maybe not. Cutting back or cutting them out could do nothing but help!

I understand how teenagers can affect you...I have five! The youngest will be 13 on June 8 and the oldest was 19 in March. Technically three of them are my husbands and two are mine, but all of his live with us 100% of the time. They can be extremely stressful! Constantly going in and out of phases...it's hard to keep up!

As for the abusive boyfriend...GET RID OF HIM!!! Sorry, I know that's easy for me to sit here and say, but it's a different story when you're in the middle of it. My ex was mildly abusive (as if there's degrees?) and I could see it just getting worse and worse when I left. Glad I got out of that situation! Believe me, it's not good for your impressionable teenager to be around either!

Boy, I'm going to have to quit getting on my soap box! I can do that so easily...not always good!

Oh, well...looks like I've lost about a pound and a half so far this week. It's definitely been slower than the first week but I'm also expecting TOM any minute now. That never helps! I am doing well with my eating, though.

I have a challenge coming up later this morning. We have a mother/daughter brunch at our church. The menu is always the same...quiche, fruit, bagels with spreads and pastries. Nothing there I can eat except maybe the quiche (sans the crust of course). Which is fine with me...I love quiche. I am just worried because I don't know what's in the quiche. There is usually a little flour in them. I'll just have to do the best I can, I guess! Wish me luck!
  #54   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 08:31
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi! I'm back. Was too busy yesterday to check in.

I started Induction 4/23/03. Yesterday morning I got on the scale and 5 more pounds gone since Monday, so a total loss of 21 pounds in two weeks and two days. But I expect this to slow down. I sure to feel slimmer. Last weekend I wore a pair of pants I could not quite button last year. That felt good.

Went to the health food store on Wednesday and bought some bake mix, bread mix, and shake mix. But I don't plan on using them for while - until I get desperate for a piece of bread!! All the Atkins products are 25% off during May. May have to stock up yet this month.

Per day I take 2 multivitamin tablets, 2 potassium (198mg), vitamin E, 3 calcium tablets(ordered by my doctor) for dietary supplements and bee pollen for my sinuses. I probably should be taking some vitamin C. I also take thyroid medication because I had my right thyroid removed last year because of a large tumor. It had almost shut off my voice box. Not malignant, BTW.

I agree with an earlier post that if you are tired it could be due to not eating enough. Before Atkins I needed 1 or 2 naps during the day and was tired all the time. Now I don't actually get any more sleep but don't need naps any more. My problem sleeping comes from drinking so much water. I'm up every couple hours running to the bathroom!

One thing I know -- it is not a good idea to compare yourself too closely to anyone else. Everyone is different. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa. I like what Dr. Atkins says about the scale: go by your measurements and how your clothes fit and how you feel and don't worry about the scale. My weight has come off all over and I would have liked it all to come off the middle.

I have trouble exercising. I always have an excuse not to get out and walk - rainy, too chilly, too busy, etc. But I plan on getting some workout tapes. Maybe I will do those. I live in a small town and there is a small fitness center, but no personal trainer and I would not know what to do or how to do it if I went there. Well, have I rambled long enough? LOL

Hang in there,
Barb
  #55   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 09:10
Contributing Member

BF:

ecigirl -- I don't think 5lbs in 4 days is too much to begin with. I think its great!!! It is normal to be tired at first. My fatigue lasted only two days but like I said before everyone is different. Have you ever had your thyroid checked? A low thyroid will cause fatigue and weakness. I know because I was really stupid! Ran out of my medication and was too busy to get to the doctor for a refill. Became absolutely exhausted, weak and achy all over. I'll NEVER do that again!!

Joetta -- Everyone loses at a different rate. The diet pop with aspartame could be a problem. I'm not a pop drinker, but I read that Diet Rite is sweetened with splenda and comes in several flavors. Are you getting enough protein and fat in you diet? I guess that can make a difference. Check out the chapter on Metabolic Resistance in Atkins book. You could have a low thyroid too. That prevents weight loss.

Hang in there! Every jouney begins with one step (even small ones).

Barb
  #56   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 11:08

BF:

Hiya, Barb! Congrats on the terrific weight loss! I'm jealous!

I have the same problem with exercise...just HATE it! I have a few of the Leslie Sansome tapes and I do like them. I'd suggest checking those out!

I had my quiche this morning at our brunch. Three pieces! But I passed up the fruit and pastries. I'm a little tired right now and would love a nap...don't know if that has anything to do with the quiche. I didn't eat the crust!

Have a great day!
  #57   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 18:59
Contributing Member

BF:

Thanks, Darlene.

I was talking to my DD a while ago. She's an RN. I was talking to her about my problem with exercise. She's going to help me. She was once engaged to a professional trainer and knows all that stuff.

First, she said I have to get some 5 lb. dumbbells. I want to do the weight training because I understand that is the most effective for weight loss. Having a history of heart problems I'm a little scared of doing too much cardio until my weight gets down. I read that the metabolism keeps working at a higher level after weight training.

She also said I should get some easy workout tapes. I know you can't do weight training every day. She suggested I start with pushups! UGH! I don't even know if I can do one. I'll find out tomorrow morning.

BTW, she sent me two bottles of wine for Mother's Day!! LOL I don't drink except a glass of wine every few months. I think when I reach 200 I'll open the first bottle!!! I haven't weighed 200 for 30 years!

Keep on keeping on....one day at a time.

Barb
  #58   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 05:27

BF:

What a sweetie you have for a daughter, Barb! Glad she's willing to get involved and help you out. Enjoy the wine! Let us know when you 'pop the top'!

Happy Mother's Day!
  #59   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 21:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/176/120 Female 65"
BF:35%/25%/20%
Progress: 19%

Re: Jello
Anyone out there found Jello......do they make one without aspartane

Re: Induction, water, and sleepiness
When I drink a lot of water 60-90 oz. per day (plus other liquid), I don't seem to be sleepy or yawning all the time. This might help someone out there.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 05:18

BF:

Hi, Lynn! They do make some sort of flavored gelatin with (I think) Splenda, but I don't know the brand. Haven't looked around all that much. The Jello brand contains Aspertame...I do know that.