Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 18:54

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default A sad tale of frozen cream

Hi. I was going to post this in the kitchen forum but for some reason it blocked me.

Anyway I use a lot of heavy whipping cream as I'm sure many of you do as well. I read on forums and googled about freezing whipping cream and was delighted to find that people said they froze it and couldn't taste the difference. So a local Gerbes store had a sale and I froze about 20 8 ounce containers. Unfortunatley those posts I read were false. The cream was clumpy and thick when thawed and didn't taste nearly like fresh. I use it a lot in tea when fasting and in cheesecake pudding and in flavored sodas (club soda). So now I'm stuck with a lot of frozen cream. I assume it would be ok in soups and other cooked recipies -- I'm hoping anyway.

Any other ideas for use? Also do you find it works ok (when thawed and shaken) in cooked recipies?

Thanks

Dennis
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 19:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always whipped it after having frozen it. Worked okay for me.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 09:56

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Did you thaw it in the fridge or at room temp? That can make a difference. I was never able to whip frozen cream, but found out that sweetened whipped cream was wonderful. I would freeze dabs on waxed paper, then put them in freezer containers. Was, as that was before lchf. I haven't tried to freeze whipped cream with splenda.

I have a container of sour cream that accidentally froze solid in my malfunctioning fridge. Tastes fine, but it's very liquid. I tried to whip it to get it creamy again, but no luck. I'm dithering about trying it in a recipe - don't know if it will work as well as non-frozen sour cream.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 15:45

BF:

Thanks -- I thawed it so far in the refrigerator. Actually the containers I bought were 16 oz. (I said 8 oz.) so I have a lot of cream and I froze it already. I mostly use it in liquid form or whipped into cheescake puddingso I have a feeling I won't use the frozen much and it will go to waste (only 20 bottles).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-15, 09:46

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

if you toss the frozen cubes in a blender with other smoothie/frappucino/frozen hot chocolate ingredients, i bet they would be perfect!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-15, 14:16
Experimenter

BF:

I wonder if the reason mine worked is because they added carageenan to it?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-15, 22:42

BF:

Just an update -- first we unfroze the cream in the refrigerator, then my wife heated the cream (not to boiling) on the stove top. Then she whipped it in a batch of cheese cake pudding. That seemed to take care of the lumpiness and graininess and it was fine.

I do wonder though how many months an unopened container of heavey cream can last as frozen -- 6 months maybe?

Last edited by Whited : Fri, Dec-04-15 at 22:57.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-15, 00:14
Experimenter

BF:

Maybe you had it frozen too long?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-15, 10:43

BF:

No it was grainy and lumpy in one week. We have now had it frozen for 4 months now though. It didn't smell or taste bad. I will probably toss what's left in a couple of months.