Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-15, 10:03

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 143.5/136.2/127.1 Female 174 cm
BF:
Progress:
Question Allergic to almonds and sick of coco, suggestions?

Hi everyone,
I live in France and since LCHF basically is non existent here I make my own flours with the coffee grinder, mainly from flaxseed.
I have also tried pumpkins which I sadly was allergic to, not surprising since I am allergic to some seeds and nuts:
All nuts except peanuts,
poppy seeds,
sesame seeds,
chickpeas,
pumpkin seeds,
almonds.
Is there something else I can use? I use coconut flour but the taste is starting to get to me, also it is getting very dry in pastries and crusts. Since I am allergic to almonds that flour is a nono.
I would also like to find something other than flaxseed, the bread I make gets so dark in colour and I would so much like to find a seed or flour that is lighter in colour.
This is my first message and I hope that it is posted in the right place, if not please move it to where it belongs
Hoping to hear from you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-15, 21:43

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hey, I am allergic to almonds, too - very deathly so (and not peanuts!) We have made rolls and biscuits with tapioca and potato flour. NOT low carb, but "lower" carb since there are so many eggs. I can post a few recipes tomorrow, but here is one my husband invented that uses sourdough starter. It's excellent.

http://thejauntrecipefile.blogspot....ough-bread.html
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-15, 02:04

BF:
Progress:

Hi, tks for the tip. However I can not get sourdough starter in France, US is great for things like that but here it is impossible to find. And you are right that tapioca and potato flour are not LC, too high in carbs for my lifestyle Tks anyway
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-15, 06:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There is a Golden Flaxmeal available in US, also from Bob's Red Mill company, which at least helps the dark color issue. Just about every recipe I have for a bread or pizza crust has one of those on your list. You say all nuts...so no walnut or pecan meal? And coconut flour does get dry, be sure you are using a recipe where the creator truly knows how to compensate for that.

Have you used portabella mushrooms for a sandwich "bun", flatten a chicken breast for a pizza "crust" and all those other LC tricks?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-15, 07:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might be allergic to Lupin flour, if you're allergic to peanuts, but I use that sometimes.

It sounds like you like a lot of baked goods. I did too at first, but now I eat them very rarely.

And yes, you must add tons of liquid to coconut flour. I mix it up, wait until it absorbs all the liquid, then add more until I think it is the right consistency.

You might also try toasting the coconut flour and see if that makes it taste more pleasant. Just thought of that.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-15, 08:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. If I had those allergies, I would play with the Atkins Revolution Rolls or Oopsie Rolls (google for the recipes, tons of threads here and elsewhere.) I like them with a bit of flax seed to give a more "whole grain" flavour.

You should also be able to find recipes that combine flax and coconut in which the coconut isn't a dominant flavour. I like these coconut flour cheese tea biscuits. I've toyed with the recipe here and there, substituting dry grated parmesan cheese, and subbing some of the coconut flour for flax. They always turn out well. Even my picky SO likes them, so they're a regular at my house.

Sadly, I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for: a foolproof allergen free sub for flour. If you really like your pastries and what not, maybe check out this blog: Healthy Indulgences. She'd developed a ton of tried-and-true LC/gluten-free/sugar-free desserts. Can't speak for the allergens, though.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-15, 10:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by douceur
Hi, tks for the tip. However I can not get sourdough starter in France, US is great for things like that but here it is impossible to find. And you are right that tapioca and potato flour are not LC, too high in carbs for my lifestyle Tks anyway

Sourdough you make yourself from stuff in the air, like how you make yogurt. let me see if I can find anything else for you. I feel your pain with this one
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-15, 10:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi. If I had those allergies, I would play with the Atkins Revolution Rolls or Oopsie Rolls (google for the recipes, tons of threads here and elsewhere.)

This is a good idea. I should add that being able to eat dairy should make things a lot easier. You can even make a lot with cauliflower mixed with cheese, like pizza crust. I am also anaphylactic to dairy, though, so I can't help with those recipes.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 05:18

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
There is a Golden Flaxmeal available in US, also from Bob's Red Mill company, which at least helps the dark color issue. Just about every recipe I have for a bread or pizza crust has one of those on your list. You say all nuts...so no walnut or pecan meal? And coconut flour does get dry, be sure you are using a recipe where the creator truly knows how to compensate for that.

Have you used portabella mushrooms for a sandwich "bun", flatten a chicken breast for a pizza "crust" and all those other LC tricks?

Well I still live in France so I can not get that golden flaxmeal, nor get something from a company in US. Yes, allergic to all nuts except peanuts. Portobello mushrooms are not available here neither.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 05:23

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You might be allergic to Lupin flour, if you're allergic to peanuts, but I use that sometimes.

It sounds like you like a lot of baked goods. I did too at first, but now I eat them very rarely.

And yes, you must add tons of liquid to coconut flour. I mix it up, wait until it absorbs all the liquid, then add more until I think it is the right consistency.

You might also try toasting the coconut flour and see if that makes it taste more pleasant. Just thought of that.

Ah that is something I did not know of I am NOT allergic to peanuts I just searched for it and I can get it here, hooray! How much would I use if the receipt says like 1 cup almondflour? When you say liquid for the coconut flour, you mean what? Water? Gonna try roasting the coconut flour, could work. Good tips, tks
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 05:26

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi. If I had those allergies, I would play with the Atkins Revolution Rolls or Oopsie Rolls (google for the recipes, tons of threads here and elsewhere.) I like them with a bit of flax seed to give a more "whole grain" flavour.

You should also be able to find recipes that combine flax and coconut in which the coconut isn't a dominant flavour. I like these coconut flour cheese tea biscuits. I've toyed with the recipe here and there, substituting dry grated parmesan cheese, and subbing some of the coconut flour for flax. They always turn out well. Even my picky SO likes them, so they're a regular at my house.

Sadly, I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for: a foolproof allergen free sub for flour. If you really like your pastries and what not, maybe check out this blog: Healthy Indulgences. She'd developed a ton of tried-and-true LC/gluten-free/sugar-free desserts. Can't speak for the allergens, though.

I tried the oopsies but they taste way too much egg, gonna try and add some other cheese thought to see if it helps. I already combien the flax and coconut in my breads but was hoping to find something else. Gonna order the lupin flour from the tip above, never heard of that and that might be a solution
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 05:28

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Sourdough you make yourself from stuff in the air, like how you make yogurt. let me see if I can find anything else for you. I feel your pain with this one

Not reaally suffering but I bet there is a solution to this If you find a link for how to make that pls let me know
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 07:59

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

If it is not too many carbs, would tapioca flour work? I make things with tapioca flour and rice flour for someone who has celiac. Perhaps there is some kind of seaweed flour that would work, too.

I can't eat nuts or coconut, so I just make things with eggs to have something that is a special dish.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 08:25
Experimenter

BF:

Tapioca is higher carb than regular wheat flour.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 08:28
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by douceur
Ah that is something I did not know of I am NOT allergic to peanuts I just searched for it and I can get it here, hooray! How much would I use if the receipt says like 1 cup almondflour? When you say liquid for the coconut flour, you mean what? Water? Gonna try roasting the coconut flour, could work. Good tips, tks

Liquid could be water, or whatever you add to your recipe to make the dough not so dry. Just use more when you use coconut flour. Let it absorb the liquid and add more.

I would probably substitute measure for measure with lupin flour. I never really follow recipes so I can't tell you for sure. You may have to experiment.

Have you tried peanut flour? It is tasty stuff.