Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/252/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Crock Pot

Please share your LC crock pot recipes
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 14:01

Plan: IR Diet framework, LC
Stats: 310/288/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Chili: Brown a bunch of ground beef. Throw it in the pot. Chop up onion and celery. Add to pot. Add a couple tablespoons of chili powder, some hot pepper, salt, black pepper, and a bit of curry. Add two beers, and a spoonful of beef bouillon paste (Better than Bouillon is my favorite brand). Cook on low for at least four hours. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with fresh minced onion, shredded cheddar, and sour cream. Better the next day. (Yes, there are no tomatoes in this. Add them if you like them.)

Stew: Cut up beef or pork into bite sized pieces. Brown them, then add to pot. Add chopped onion, mushroom, celery, and one carrot (or not, depending on your plan). Deglaze pan with red wine (or broth, or broth-and-vinegar) and add to pot. Season with salt, pepper, rosemary. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

Pot Roast: Chop onions and celery roughly, put in bottom of pot. Brown roast, put on top of veg. Make a roasting liquid, about two cups (can be just Lipton's Onion Soup mix and water, or can have red wine, garlic, dried mushrooms... anything you like that gives strong flavor). Pour liquid over meat. Cook on low 6-8 hours until it's falling apart.

Search "low carb slow cooker" for other ideas.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 14:08

Plan: IR Diet framework, LC
Stats: 310/288/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I used to do roast beef and pulled pork in the slow cooker, but don't anymore. Slow cooking is enclosed and moist, and I like the "bark", or caramelized outside of a roast when it's cooked in the over instead of the moister version when it's in the slow cooker.

So even though these aren't slow cooker recipes, they're low-and-slow recipes that you don't have to mess around with once you've got them in the oven. You just use the oven instead of the slow-cooker.

Roast Beef: I use the "high temperature roast beef" technique (search on that to find out more): Season eye of round roast with salt and pepper, put in roasting pan in 500 degree oven for 21 minutes (7 minutes/lb), then turn off oven and let sit for 2.5 hours. Don't open the oven! Makes a lovely roast beef with pink center.

Pulled pork: I use the "overnight pulled pork" technique. Season pork shoulder with salt and pepper (or a rub of your liking. We use Cabela's Mesquite rub a lot). Put in roasting pan in 225 degree oven. Cook it at that temp for 10 hours or so (overnight is nice). It'll be meltingly pull-apart tender by the time it's done.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 15:16
Registered Member

Stats: 264/252/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Excellent -- thank you so much for taking the time to reply
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 18:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there. I love my crock pot. I just did an amazing beef stew out of what looked like not-so-nice top sirloin, but it was delish.

Here's a recent thread with some crock pot ideas: Slow Cooker

...and here's a list of all of the forum's Crock Pot Recipes... or at least a lot of them. A certain lazy moderator hasn't kept it up.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 19:37
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Don't worry. Another moderator might just have kept any eye on it. So it really is up to date.