Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 13:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Confused why weight went down and not up?

I'm not sure what happened but I had an enormous binge last night and I was expecting to get on the scale this morning and see my weight go up a pound or two, but instead it went down two pounds.

I mean, I had bowls of icecream, chocolates left over from Valentine's, sugary candies -- you name it. Not that I am upset about losing weight by any means! But I am really in shock about when it happened.

Why would this happen?? Makes me think I need to binge like this more often!!

By the way, since I'm writing, I want to see if anyone else loves the following products as much as I am lately:

Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almond Milk, Unsweetened Vanilla -- this is an incredible milk substitute for only 1 carb a cup. Goes great with cereal and saves 10 carbs if you use instead of milk.

Kellogg's Special K protein plus --9 net carbs for 3/4 cup and very satisfying.

Damascus Bakeries Flax Roll Up -- wrap that has 6 net carbs and is very big and good for wraps and excellent toasted. Has become my bread substitute.
Feels like a life saver for me and very good for keeping me regular as well!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 14:37

Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Honestly, I would expect that at least the water weight from the carb binge will catch up with you in a day or so. Just get back on plan and brush it off. And definitely don't make plans to binge again, lol.

Yes, I really like the Almond Breeze. But lately I'm liking coconut milk even more. It comes in a carton by the Almond Breeze.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 15:22

BF:

Thanks!

(I wished I liked coconut, but don't have a taste for it. I sometimes take coconut oil capsules but can't seem to handle the actual oil or the milk.)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 16:46

Plan: Atkins with Paleo/Primal
Stats: 194/162/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Google "carb cycling" for more info on this phenomenon. I've noticed a simillar occurence, and it has to do with Leptin.

Insulin is a fat storage hormone (which we keep low by eating low carb).

Leptin is the fat RELEASE hormone, which tells our body to use up stored fat. The problem is Leptin is suppressed when we eat low carb. So you have low insulin but low leptin, so your body is sluggish about using up its own fat stores.

A day of "feasting" or eating higher carb, and around maintenance or slightly higher than maintenance calories can upregulate your Leptin levels and boost your Thyroid. Which can lead to better losses in the following days.

BUT - that is IF it doesn't kick start a days long carb binge in which you eat yourself into oblivion and make your insulin high too.

For many here a carb "binge" is not a safe practise for losing weight. It only reinforces bad habits and puts you on a slippery slope back to weight gain.

However, some find that a weekly or monthly "carb up" day can help them break through weight plateaus. IF you do this, DONT FORGET TO LOWER YOUR FAT INTAKE. High carbs plus high fat is not a good idea as it is usually high calorie and you can quickly eat far too much above maintenance calories.

Also, for your general health, you should eat carbs like sweet potatoes, berries or other starchy vegetables instead of carbs that harm you and bloat you like wheat, high fructose anything, or refined sugars.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 00:16

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 173.8/138/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 124%

By the way, since I'm writing, I want to see if anyone else loves the following products as much as I am lately:

Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almond Milk, Unsweetened Vanilla -- this is an incredible milk substitute for only 1 carb a cup. Goes great with cereal and saves 10 carbs if you use instead of milk.

Kellogg's Special K protein plus --9 net carbs for 3/4 cup and very satisfying.

Damascus Bakeries Flax Roll Up -- wrap that has 6 net carbs and is very big and good for wraps and excellent toasted. Has become my bread substitute.
Feels like a life saver for me and very good for keeping me regular as well![/QUOTE]

I heart almond milk
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 06:18

BF:

I have the almond milk every day!!

Wow -- I had no idea about Leptin and carb upping, but I guess for me it must've worked. I seem to be down another pound as well. This could be dangerous for me, but it makes me want to try it again.