Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 15:12

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%
Question How do you do phase 2 of SBD?

Okay-it looks like evereyone think that I should do phase 2 or maintance (atkins) but I was wondering which way I should go-Atkins or SBD? The maintance part of Atkins kinda of throws me off. So I thought SBD would be a bit easier. Since I am nursing I need a certain amount of carbs and can't go into Ketosis soooooo here I m trying to figure out what to do
I don't know too much about SBD other then it looks like Atkins pretty much except lower fat (?). Hoping for some ideas how to jump into it-
PS-I have done Atkins before so I am not totally in the dark
PSS-I also wanted to inculde that I have been doing Herbalife-I am not sure of anyone knows about it but I feel like I have stalled and plus I have been hungry still.

Last edited by twinmomma : Mon, May-10-04 at 15:14. Reason: adding more info
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 18:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

if you are on Atkins Maintenance Level, you will NOT be in ketosis.

There are websites for South Beach Diet - use google.com to find them on the net.

Borrow the book from your library or read on the websites. You really need to do some reading for yourself so that you can decide which plan best suits your health and circumstances.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 18:37

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

This is the easiest guide I have found and if you also visit http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm
For the complete list of foods for each phase.

Jenn

SOUTH BEACH DIET INFO

Eating Guidelines for South Beach Diet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Beachers - I want to share the most useful thing I've seen on the SBD website so far: the eating guidelines for phases one, two and three.

I'm not sure if you have to be a member of that site to view these pages, so I am posting them below, but they can also be found here:

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 1

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 2

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 1

The South Beach Diet™ is designed so that you can easily swap meals and ingredients. If you don't like eggs for breakfast, have low-fat cottage cheese or lean meat instead. Not a fish lover? Then choose lean beef or poultry. In Phase 1 of the diet, you can eat as many proteins and vegetables as you like, plus fats like olive oil. Fruit and starches aren't allowed until Phase 2. Here's a look at some general eating guidelines. For specific food choices, check out the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy & Avoid list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited.
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup.
Fruit: None
Starch: None
Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

LUNCH
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

DINNER

DESSERT
Enjoy a Sweet Treat or any of the snack choices.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 2

In Phase 2, you'll gradually begin to reintroduce healthy starches and carbohydrates into your diet, starting with low-glycemic index ones like oatmeal and couscous, and eventually moving on to high-glycemic ones like fruits and whole-grain bread. The goal is to eat healthy carbs while continuing to lose weight, so pay attention to how they affect you. If your weight loss stalls or cravings return, cut back or try some different carbs and monitor the results. Here's a look at general eating guidelines. Want specific food choices? You can now eat anything from the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy list as well as items from the Phase 2 Foods to Reintroduce list.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

LUNCH
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and dessert are optional. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 3

By the time you reach Phase 3, you'll know which starches and carbs you can eat without gaining weight, so you'll have already integrated them into your diet. You'll be eating normal foods in normal-size portions, sticking to the good carbs and good fats. There's no list of forbidden foods in Phase 3, however. In other words, if you want it, and it doesn't undo all your sacrifices, you should go ahead and enjoy it! Here's a look at general eating guidelines.

If you'd like to adapt some of your meals to exclude meat, simply choose protein sources such as beans, soy products, lower fat cheese, eggs and egg substitutes, and eat vegetables and nuts for snacks. You can also choose to receive vegetarian-only meal plans, complete with shopping lists, by selecting "vegetarian" in the Profile area.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 3 fruit servings allowed daily.
Starch: 3 to 4 starch servings allowed daily.

LUNCH

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and desserts are optional: Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 18:40

BF:

I have been doing SBD while pregnant and following pretty much the same guidelines as you will be following. Just wanted to say it's not so hard and I really don't find myself hungry ever!

Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 18:59

Exclamation will phase one of SBD put me into ketosis?

I was wondering does phase one put me into ketosis? I don't understand why i couldn't do phase one on SBD. It seems to be less harsh then induction on Atkins-
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 19:06

BF:

Because you are breastfeeding. You need to worry more about getting nutrition to your baby than you need to about the hard core weight loss. Just the fact that you are breastfeeding is going to help the weight come off easily anyway.

jenn
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 19:10

Talking I am one of thos lucky people who actually gain while nursing!

Thanks Jenn! I love to nurse since I want her to have the best-yet I do gain when I nurse. I should actually say I generally stay at the same weight but normally don't lose much in less I really work at it. Do you know if it will put me into ketosis? It does seem phase one is a bit easier on the body then induction for atkins-Thanks-I will just keep doing what I am doing
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 19:19

BF:

I would say that you have a pretty good chance of it putting you into ketosis which is why they suggest a higher phase for starts. I always maintained outside of pregnancy except with my third child. (although the pregnancies themselves were hell on my body since I came pretty close to doubling my weight twice.) With my third I gained like a mad woman while breastfeeding but I also had an accident that left me unable to do exercise shortly after his birth which I think greatly contributed to it.(along with poor eating habits) My son was almost done with nursing by the time I started atkins. I would really just try it from the phase two. If you don't lose while doing phase 2 then reconsider. At any rate I would wait until your baby is eating food before trying to hit phase one of ANY plan.

Jenn
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 19:27

Talking Thanks!

Thanks again-I guess I will go with phase two. If nothing happens well so be it. I want her to be healthy.