Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 04:52

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%
Default while travelling....

....I kind of forgot. I forgot that I am diabetic, I forgot that I don't do cheating. I forgot that high blood sugars hold a myriad of dangers for me: blindness, kidney disease, heart disease, amputations, death. My blood sugar was already higher than usual because I was recovering from dengue fever. The refridgerator in the hotel room held two large cadbury chocolate bars. I ate them both. In response, I went to the hotel gym and walked and the treadmill, did some weight work, etc, for 2 hours. This did keep my blood sugar from rising through the roof. Then I put a note in the fridge asking that they NOT replace the chocolate bars (can you imagine two new chocolate bars every day during a week long conference? I would have eaten every one!). If I can stay aware and conscious it is all so clear and obvious, but this slip came so insidiously! Away from home...away from systems, lots of temptation.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 08:44

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Mama_Sebo: {{{{hugs}}}}
It's good you became mindful that the trigger was there, albeit after the fact. You did what you could to mitigate.
Now, this isn't the last conference. It isn't the last temptation. Have you given thought to what you will do when faced with a temptation next time? Maybe if you have a plan in place you can implement it without first "weighing" all your options (to eat or not to eat - that is the question!).
For me, when going to conferences abroad, while checking in I would always ask if there were any complimentary or "pay" items located in the room and have them removed by them before entering. If they had goodies, I surely didn't want to see them! The only exception was FREE bottled water. (I always hated seeing $15 liter bottles to PAY for - of course, always in the tiniest print that the were expensive.) LOL
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 08:51
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Oh yeah. Old habits die hard! Good for you putting the note up there, and double good for you doing all that exercise and taking care of your blood sugar that way. Don't be too hard on yourself. If overeating/eating the wrong things wasn't an issue for all of us, we wouldn't be here.

Hang in there!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 09:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sebo
....I kind of forgot. I forgot that I am diabetic, I forgot that I don't do cheating. I forgot that high blood sugars hold a myriad of dangers for me: blindness, kidney disease, heart disease, amputations, death. My blood sugar was already higher than usual because I was recovering from dengue fever. The refridgerator in the hotel room held two large cadbury chocolate bars. I ate them both. In response, I went to the hotel gym and walked and the treadmill, did some weight work, etc, for 2 hours. This did keep my blood sugar from rising through the roof. Then I put a note in the fridge asking that they NOT replace the chocolate bars (can you imagine two new chocolate bars every day during a week long conference? I would have eaten every one!). If I can stay aware and conscious it is all so clear and obvious, but this slip came so insidiously! Away from home...away from systems, lots of temptation.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you while you are away. You caught it before it got any worse so there's that.
What can you plan now food wise, so that the rest of your trip is not damaging to your health?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-14, 02:42

Thanks all! Indeed, planning is The Thing. In most of the places I travel it Will be a challenge to organize removing things in advance, but I will indeed try. I'm still trying to analyze what the weak point was, because I've been in similar situations over the past months and felt NOT ONE IOTA of temptation. I think it might have been the negative feedback of the high BG associated with my illness -- that little downward tip, which was explainable, was the danger point, and what I need to watch out for. I am home now. Thanks again, confession, and the sense of not being alone, does indeed sooth the soul!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-14, 04:42

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:

The first post I read on here that mentioned the concept of sugar addiction, and that most of us probably share a degree of this addiction, I took it with a pinch of salt, and to be honest dismissed the idea.

Reflecting on this and on my attitude I think now that the statement is damn sport on. While baking the other week, I automatically went to eat all the uncooked left-overs, (I always have loved to do this), and it was with spoon halfway to mouth that I realised that I had not thought about doing it!

I think that it takes very little to tip us over that edge, so feeling low, out of sorts, sickness, and we really do teeter on an edge.

I'm glad that you were able to rectify the situation, and that you were able to end it at that point.

Hope the future temptations now hold slightly less temptation for you :-).
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-14, 10:52

Thanks Jaywood, I agree with you completely. I must be completely conscious, and determined, prepared in case I teeter. ANd perhaps with more time and experience I'll figure out how I get into and stay in no-teeter mode, what I used to refer to as the groove...a mental state I think, but well, who knows, addiction is a combination of mental and physical isn't it? Thanks again for comments, thoughts and suggestions.