Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-11, 22:21

Plan: NANY
Stats: 330/281/170 Female 64.5 inches
BF:Mostly Fried Foods
Progress: 31%

Argh, it is so frustrating to see old, outdated information continue to be disseminated here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
if it's addicting, it probably isn't something anyone should be using on a regular basis (including me).

Every substance on Earth has the potential to be addicting to somebody. Since everything is potentially dangerous, should we all shut ourselves in a cave and exist solely on water and vitamins?

I realize that the old Atkins book is your WOE Bible, but Atkin'ers using NANY know that:

"While we're on the subject of breakfast, there's no reason to avoid caffeinated coffee. Moderate caffeine intake is actually associated with improved long-term health and regulation of body weight. [Citation: L. E. Armstrong, D. J. Casa, C. M. Maresh, and M. S. Ganio, "Caffeine, Fluid-Electrolyte Balance, Temperature Regulation, and Exercise Heat-Tolerance," Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews 35 (2007), 135-140.] Coffee contains several antioxidants and has the added benefit of mildly enhancing fat burning. [Citation: D. L. Costill, G. P. Dalsky, and W. J. Fink, "Effects of Caffeine Ingestion on Metabolism and Exercise Performance," Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 10 (1978), 155-158.] Add cream (but not milk) and/or one of the four acceptable sweeteners, if you wish. By the way, an overwhelming desire for caffeine is not a true addiction but simply the result of consuming it regularly. You'll probably notice some withdrawal signs such as a mild headache if you miss your daily dose. This reaction is normal and isn't associated with doing Atkins." Source: The New Atkins for a New You.

So, you swear by your Bible and I'll swear by mine, and I will continue to let people know that they do not have to abstain from coffee/caffeine if they do not want to and if it is not negatively affecting their efforts or weight loss.

Quote:
...it's a drug and should be avoided like any other drug.

Casting aspersions on caffeine by using the term "drug" pejoratively while admonishing people to avoid said "drug" just seems a little hysterical to me (not in a funny way - in a scaremongering way). Aspirin is a drug and lots of people take it for its beneficial properties on a daily basis. If your life is awesome without coffee/caffeine and you consider it a victory of sorts to be caffeine-free, that is wonderful for you. High-five, my sistahs! However, if selecting different beans from around the world, enjoying the intoxicating aroma of grinding and brewing those beans in your awesome equipment, and savoring each delicious, antioxidant-rich drop is a deeply satisfying experience (and you like the druggie effects of increased alertness and mild fat-burning :lol, then why on earth avoid something that is not evil or harmful but is in fact quite pleasurable and has some health benefits?

Hell, look at all the scaremongering about cholesterol and eggs and look at what we now know about them.

I'm sure we'll meet again in another thread on this subject, but right now, my jammies and the rich aroma of my decaf nightcap are calling me.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-11, 23:42

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepro
By the way, an overwhelming desire for caffeine is not a true addiction but simply the result of consuming it regularly.

So if I consume cocaine regularly and have an overwhelming desire for it it's not because I'm addicted....it's because I have been consuming it regularly?

Quote:
You'll probably notice some withdrawal signs such as a mild headache if you miss your daily dose. This reaction is normal and isn't associated with doing Atkins." Source: The New Atkins for a New You.

So if it's not a true addiction why are there withdrawal symptoms? I personally felt like I wanted to die coming off of caffeine! No, it was not associated with doing Atkins, it was TOTALLY associated with going cold turkey on caffeine ~ because my body was addicted to it.

Quote:

Aspirin is a drug and lots of people take it for its beneficial properties on a daily basis.

But I don't know ANYONE that has become addicted to aspirin....

Quote:

the rich aroma of my decaf nightcap are calling me.

So why are you decaf if you think caffeine is good for us????

Quote:
I will continue to let people know that they do not have to abstain from coffee/caffeine if they do not want to and if it is not negatively affecting their efforts or weight loss.

As I said earlier...each of us are able to decide what does and does not work for us (that's the beauty of Atkins)....but the fact is that some things are simply not good for us. I feel the same way about artificial sweeteners as I do about caffeine. I don't think ANYONE should be using either regularly, but I still use both in a limited capacity. I'm understanding if someone wants to use them, but I am certainly going to be cautious about encouraging either.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-11, 09:57
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

cakepro - I disagree with you so whole heartedly. I'm glad you've found what works for you. But I can tell you that my caffeine w/d symptoms were so bad that my husband begged me to drink a cup of coffee. It was worse than giving up nicotine. Anything that can do that should be avoided in general. To say that craving coffee is a result of drinking coffee is the same as calling it an addiction.

As far as the health benefits... It can help regulate digestion, but that is help we don't need when we aren't eating wheat/artificial fiber. The fat in our diet with regulate that for us. So this affect is nullified if you're eating properly. The other ones I'm not up to date on. But the fact is - nicotine helps regulate some of the same things - is smoking good for you? In moderation, of course.

I don't think your morning cup of full caff will kill you. I do think it's not helping anything though. I will continue advising people to give up caffeine, you will continue to tell them it's okay. They will continue to make up their own mind.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-11, 08:43

Plan: NANY
Stats: 330/281/170 Female 64.5 inches
BF:Mostly Fried Foods
Progress: 31%
Exclamation

Good morning!

The first two times you quoted me above were not my words but were the words written by the three doctors who authored NANY. Comparing cocaine to caffeine is just absolutely ridiculous. Caffeine is a mild stimulant with some positive health benefits while cocaine is a powerfully addictive drug of abuse. And yes, strangely enough, people have even become addicted to aspirin, even though you happen to not know anyone who has. Google it.

There is a difference between tolerance/dependency and addiction. I consume caffeine almost every day. My body is used to this. When I don't consume caffeine, sometimes I get a headache. Sometimes nothing happens at all. The same thing happens when I go long periods without eating, come to think of it. This does not constitute addiction. There is a difference. Addicts will stop at nothing to get their fix. I've never knocked over a Starbucks for a latte.

Quote:
.... some things are simply not good for us. I feel the same way about artificial sweeteners as I do about caffeine. I don't think ANYONE should be using either regularly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChice
But I can tell you that my caffeine w/d symptoms were ...worse than giving up nicotine. Anything that can do that should be avoided in general.

These statements just beautifully illustrated my entire POINT here in this hijacked thread! You see, these are OPINIONS, which everyone is certainly entitled to, but it is frustrating to repeatedly see people maligning coffee and advising others to avoid it when there is no across the board reason to do so as not everybody has problems with it.

Why decaf? Jammies, posting at 11:30 PM, nightcap... ! Caffeinated coffee is for mornings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChice
I will continue advising people to give up caffeine, you will continue to tell them it's okay. They will continue to make up their own mind.
Absolutely agreed.