Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 09:56
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 252/248.5/165
BF:49%/40%/20%
Progress: 4%
Default Toronto - Low Carb Lifestylers

Hello All,

I live in Toronto and noticed that there isn't an active group for the Greater Toronto Area.. I'm going to attach my story (from my journal) below .. If any GTA Low Carb Lifestylers are interested in creating a local "forum" wherein we all keep each other positive, supported, accountable and healthy .. then I'd like to hear from them..

Here's my story (from my July 4th Journal Entry)..

I don't quite know what to write here.. but you must know it comes from the heart.. I have been overweight all of my life - perhaps since I was about 10 years old (I'm 33) .. I'm sick of it.. I want to be the person I feel I am on the inside.. This is the last, best hope.. and hopefully all of you will help me keep on the straight and narrow.. here's to the first day of the rest of my (thin) life!...

You see, I have been trying to lose my weight permanently all my life, and have succeeded during my late teens (I had a good high-school experience, for the most part); but upon my university years and later working life, I gained weight - until I peaked at about 252 lbs ~ 49% bodyfat (123.48 lbs of fat - that's a person's worth!!) in March of this year..

Anyhow, I started low-carbing again (my 5th or 6th attempt - I never had any support or support group - I felt like I was all alone with this) in March - very badly I might add - I'd do it for the day and then have donuts at like 12 midnight or something - so silly.. It wasn't working - so I gave up..

I discovered Golf, now a passion with me - and I started playing or practicing on the range everyday - becoming more active and such.. I decided I should give low-carbing another try - and then discovered this site...

I had not weighed myself until this morning (4th of July) - I had thought I was back up at my 252 lbs... Much to my suprise, I now weight 240 lbs at 45% bodyfat (108 lbs of fat!!) - a loss of 15.48 lbs of fat!!!

I guess the moral of the story is: 1. find something you love to do which is physical (golf in my case) 2. don't check the scale every 12 hours (!) like I used to do - it can only demoralize you!

By the way, I had been eating all types of food since the end of May, not watching what I ate.. but I did not binge since I was eating just when I was hungry.. and I lost weight.

I can't wait to see the results in the coming months when I combine a proper Low Carb way of life with my new-found passion for Golf and the moral support you folks provide! - I think I have found my "Zone" of high performance when I combine these three things..

Once again, good luck to all of you.. Together we will make it happen

Best wishes,

Christian

Last edited by AdonisWish : Sun, Jul-07-02 at 14:19.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 17:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/215/180 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi Christian!

I'm so glad that you posted this message.

I live in Toronto too and have been anxious to have local support. I would love to have get togethers, or weekly/bi-weekly chats over coffee.

I don't know if you are looking for something like that, or something online.

I haven't really found anyone in the Toronto that low-carbs. Which I find surprising considering Toronto's size.

I posted a message awhile ago getting Toronto people together, but I didn't get any answers.
I was willing to organize something myself, but to be honest, I didn't really know where to start!

Whatever you are interested in, maybe we can work together on it???

Let me know your thoughts.

Chris
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 21:12
Registered Member

Cool Onward!

Chris,

Great to hear from you.. thanks for dropping me a note...

I was also quite suprised to see that T.O. did not have a forum on this site, since Vancouver, Calgary and Halifax seem to be well represented ... however, I found out why.. when you check the "Members" listing, you may notice that not a lot of people are from here!! quite amazing, don't you think..

What I suggest is that we start small.. and when we have a "critical mass" of people .. perhaps five or so.. we arrange to meet for coffee, lunch or dinner to discuss relevant topics.. and generally share knowledge, support and encouragement.

For starters, tell me more about yourself and your background.. are you hoping to adopt LC'ing as more of a lifestyle or a dieting mechanism? what's worked for you?

take good care,

Christian
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 19:06
Registered Member

BF:

Hi again,

Five sounds like a good number to work on.

I'm 30 and live downtown with my partner. I've been low-carbing for a few years now in some form or another. I originally started with Atkins, but it was too radical of a change for me at that time.
I later went on Carb Addicts Diet and did well there. I went off plan after awhile, but it was then that I realized that low-carb was going to have to be how I lived, whether or not weight loss was included in it. Whenever I would try to do the low-fat, high-carb diets, I would feel horrible.

Earlier this year, I came back to Atkins after having gained some experience with low-carbing. What I'm doing now is somewhere between Atkins and The Naturopathic Diet.
I let myself have unlimited low-carb veggies (I figure I can eat so much of them anyways), and I try to have about 1 cup of berries per day.
I started going to a naturopath a few months ago, and I'm hoping to help my body become alot healthier. After so many years of dieting, I had really worn myself out. I was tired, etc.
I also found out from her that I have an underactive thyroid, which can account for slow or difficult weight loss. So once I get my thyroid's butt kicked, I'm hoping to see some more weight come off.
I've feeb around 232 for awhile now. I keep 'floating' around the 229 to 234 range, but have never stayed below the range for any length of time.

I've recently (last Sunday) decided, with my naturopath's encouragement, to stop using Aspartame and drinking Diet Coke.
I used to drink about 2 litres a day of Diet Coke, plus was getting aspartame from other sources too.
Alot of people think that using artificial sweetners while low-carbing can slow down weight loss, so I'm hoping that this too might help jump start things again.

I noticed from your other posts that you like to have an occasional beer. Me too. I love the taste of beer, and miss it alot. I try to have it only occasionally.

Well, that's enough blathering from me (for now!)

Chris
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 10:59

Plan: my own??
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'7
BF:25/20/16
Progress: 0%
Default TORONTO GIRL HERE __INTRESTED...

Hi all

i just found this thread and am very happy!! I have been posting on this site for a short while now. But i have low carbed on and off for the past 2 years. I now am comitted to staying with this lifestyle forever I am a personal fitness trainer by profession so I know a whole lot about nutrtion and excercise and really believe MOTIVATION and support from other people is key to weightloss and maintenance. I find that i get very stressed with work, and sometimes feel burned out from motivating others all the time. Its a tough job, it requires alot of giving on my behalf. SO I TOO NEED to be motivated by others, and have support come my way. Personal trainers are human too you know LOL

I am currently living in Montreal ..but I am a Torontonian. I will be moving back to my beloved Toronto very soon. I will be visiting TO next week on the 17th and will stay for the weekend. Maybe we can form a buddy group, i love the idea of getting togehter every once inawhile over coffee!! I'm a social butterfly by nature. Always up to making new friends and connections. I used to head a eating disorders support group for young women, so I know the benefits of group get togethers for supportive chat. Let me know hwat youb all think. AND HOW MANY ARE FROM TORONTO???

Piera
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 11:38

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

I would love to get together with Toronto LCers. I live in the Beaches area of Toronto with my husband and dog, so I can meet downtown, uptown .... I've been LCing since January, did really well, clothes were fitting really well ... then ... I got cocky and thought a little bit of this or that wouldn't hurt, well, as we all know, it does hurt. So I went back on induction a while ago and feel much better. I'm on vacation next week so, any time after July 22nd for a meet and greet would be great.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 15:12

Unhappy Will only be in TO next week, and week of aug 22

Its too bad your away next week. I'll be back in Toronto the week of August 22. I am attending a 4 day fitness conference for personal trainers and gym owners. I am soooooo looking forward to that conference. So maybe we can get together around the 2oth or 21st of August? WHO"S IN??

Dvbrown where are you ging next week? holiday? I have a trip planned to aruba !! I'm leaving august 4th and will be back the 18th. I can't wait ..i need the carribbean sun and surf sooo bad!!
You have a dog too!! what kind? i have a 6 month year old Chihuahua! I got him like 4 months ago... he's adorable.. all 5 pounds of him LOL best thing i ever bought. Isn't yappy, dpoesn't bite, and well tempered ...well so far i;m keeping my fingers crossed lol
take care

Piera
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 08:48

Stats: 217/205/110 Female 58"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Another Torontonian

Hi all, I'm Deanna.

I live right downtown and have been involved in LC'ing for about 3 years. I'm a severe carb addict. I still haven't managed to overcome the addicition 100%, but I will never give up. I have been battling this my whole life, and I know it will never go away, I just want to be a master at controlling it!!

Glad to see that we are feeling a little sociable in TO!

Deanna
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 08:54

Stats: 217/205/110 Female 58"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Piera

My sister has a chihuahua and he is adorable! He has barked only 2x in his life and is really lovable. The only thing he does is whine when one of them leaves the apartment without him

Deanna
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 09:10
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Gottamove!

Thanks for saying that personal trainers are human too. It's really helps me see others with a different perspective.

Also... Come back to TO!!! Come rejoin our ranks.
A buddy group in TO is something that I've been wishing for for a long time. I"m really glad that Christian posted something and brought a few of us together.

Chris
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 09:14
Registered Member

BF:

Hi everyone!

vbrown & deelight, thank you for joing us.

I'd probably be able to meet up on Aug 20 or 21st if others are.

I live right downtown too deelight! Jarvis & Wellesley area.

Chris
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 14:50

Default I would love to organize a group meeting

HI all,

THANKS to you all for the responses!! LETS GET TOGETHER! MAybe we should exchange email adresses and that way we can keep in touch. Things get hectic for me at times, so if you all emailed me to confirm that would be an idea. Then i could send out a reminder about the date and location of a get together.

August 20th can be our tentative plan.

thanks Chris for your reply, sounds like we have a motivated bunch here. Chris are u on Atkins? how long have u been low carbing? I've been on an doff with it. Mainly because i work in the fitness industry, where carbs are the valued fuel source. Alot of trainers don't advise low carb diets for sports or endurance activities or weightloss. Many have the old standard mentality that LOW fat works for everyone. I on the other hand knowing all about weightloss, and maintenance has gone past that and researched the low carb theory. I even tested it finally on myself, and am amazed at the results!!!

Now i also discovered CKD (cyclical ketogenic diet). I know the CKD will be better for me. Basically you do atkins during the week, then on the weekends you do a CARB UP. This ensures you train during the week intensely and get right back inot ketosis. Its a great plan for those of you who wantt o get ripped, train intensely with weights and cardio and improve your muscle tone. Check out the CKD forum if this intrests you at all. Its something to consider......

Piera
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 21:39
Registered Member

Talking And Then There Were Five...

Chris, Piera, Deanna ... so glad to hear from all of you.. I think the consensus so far is August 20th.. so perhaps we can tentatively make it for that day if everyone is agreeable...

I have my weight-in tommorrow.. I wonder what the result will be..

I have really noticed how much potassium you lose when LC'ing due to all the water you lose.. I play a lot of golf so I find I have to make sure to re-hydrate and take a potassium supplement, otherwise I cramp up on the course!

Good luck, everyone..
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 04:26

Talking Sounds good to me

Adonis great to hear from you!! I too had the leg cramps. especially during the night hated that soooo much, hurt like hell. So i started taking potassium, calcium and magnesium before bed. Cramps have all gone. Thank God. Excercising coupled with the water we lose eating low carb can cause leg cramps if your not careful with your supplements. Keep well

Piera
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 08:46
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, I am on Atkins. Well, sort of.

I began seeing a naturopath, who really like the way I eat, but said I needed more carbs in my diet though. I shocked when she said that the carbs should come from more veggies & fruit though. I was told explicitly that I shouldn't be eating flour.
What a change from being told to eat more carbs like bagels & such!

So anyways... as a result, I basically follow Atkins, but I don't count my carbs. I always hating counting them, and decided to stop.
After all, I figured one person can only eat so many vegetables, so I don't worry about getting too many carbs per day. I also have 1 cup of fruit, usually mixed berries to up increase my carbs (at one point I was barely eating any carbs!)

I've been low-carbing in some form for about 3 years. Trying different plans & such. I definitely haven't been on plan the whole time, but once I tried low-carb, I realized that that was the way I would have to live the rest of my life.

Is there a book about CKD? I love reading about heath & diet related to low-carb, so if there is a book, can you give me the author & title. Mucho gracias! I don't think it's something I'd follow because I'm not fond of exercise at all!

Chris