Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 18:26

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%
Default alcohol and steroid intolerance = high or low cortisol?

Out of curiosity... I'm quite sure I have depleted adrenals but two symptoms in particular, I wonder about. Does anyone know if they're suggestive of either low or high cortisol?

1. Fatigue with any alcohol ingestion (not a big drinker by any stretch, but a few sips - not enough to get tipsy, MUCH less than anyone else at a party, and I still feel depleted, fatigued, crashed within several hours or the next a.m.).

2. Intolerance to steroidal medications. (I've tried to avoid these for a long time though once was prescribed an antifungal hair mousse of all things, which left me flat on the couch for a week after beginning to use it.) [I know things work transdermally, but just didn't think to check the ingredients panel, and turns out it contained a very powerful topical steroid that causes problems for say 1/5 of people who try it. It was only after I wondered what the hell had happened to my energy level, and why was I so sad all of a sudden, that I went looking around at possible causes and read the back panel of the mousse. And I'd TOLD the moronic dermatologist that I wanted to specifically avoid any topical steroids... they prescribed one anyway. Sigh.]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 18:45
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi again CB:

I'm catching up on my posting.

I told you about my experience with cortisone in another post, so yes, I am sensitive to it. I forgot to mention that I was on steroids for my RSD (yes, does the cortisone cycle never end? ) and I ended up with shingles on my face as well as the biggest acne cysts I have ever seen before. They were about 2 inches in diameter and filled with brown pus. Sorry if that's too much information. Ironically, I had a very false sense of well-being on the steroids which is unlike your experience.

As for alcohol intolerance, I'm also sensitive. If I even have vanilla extract, my face and tongue go numb.

Antifungals and alcohol intolerance you mention. Hmmm.... I wonder if you have a candida problem. Candida is known to cause adrenal fatigue...

To answer your question, I think it's possible that something is causing stress in your body that is in turn causing adrenal fatigue. The question is "what?"!

Wanda