Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 23:08

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Wanda,
I just stumbled upon this post. read SI forever ago and got SPII when it came out so am familiar and believe in the program (also met her while in Ca and she walks the talk so she's the real thing) anyway, my question is the adrenal thing you brought up. my cortisol is consistently high (way high...even when he did dexamethasone test which will suppress it in normal people, mine just kept pumping it out anyway...so i overproduce). my Dr thinks i have cushings but their is no tumor on my pituitary. so with high cortisol, do i have adrenal burnout?? i know this is technical but i read you are good with the technical Q's anything would be helpful. i cant seem to get thru induction. is this why?? anyway, have a fun labor day........
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 09:26
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi kay3osu:

Quote:
my cortisol is consistently high (way high...even when he did dexamethasone test which will suppress it in normal people, mine just kept pumping it out anyway...so i overproduce). my Dr thinks i have cushings but their is no tumor on my pituitary.

Is he still investigating? According to Dr. S., there are other reasons for glandular-based high cortisol levels.

Quote:
so with high cortisol, do i have adrenal burnout??

Hmmm, that's a good question. Someone else might have some better input, but this is the way I interpret it. First, you have an endocrine-based disorder that needs to get resolved either through surgery or medications. If your cortisol levels continue to chronically remain high, your adrenal glands will eventually burn out and cortisol production will go down. If I were to guess, I'd say no, they aren't burned out yet, but are on their way there. So after gaining all the weight from high cortisol levels, then you won't be able to lose the weight from burned out adrenals.

In the meantime, it means that you gain fat weight around your middle and that your symptoms mimick those of high insulin levels.

Since I'm not the best source of information, I would suggest contacting Dr. S. via e-mail with the same question, given that you have a glandular-based endocrine disorder. Her link is in the sticky on the SP forum. In the meantime, the worst things for you are low carb intake, alcohol, steroids and overexercising. These things increase cortisol output. You might also be interested in the following link: Adrenal Fatigue

Quote:
i cant seem to get thru induction. is this why??

What do you mean by that? I'd say low carbing is further increasing cortisol, resulting in putting on more fat around your middle. Probably you won't accomplish much until you get the cortisol levels under control.

Hope this helps and that you are able to resolve this problem. It must be incredibly frustrating to deal with.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Mon, Sep-01-03 at 09:33.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 11:30

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:

Wanda,
thank you so much for all that info. i will email her and see what gives. i always thought that sugar caused high cortisol because i am severely hypoglycemic. so i though when my blood sugar dropped that i would produce cortisol to get it back up??? i forgot to mention that in my post. what do you think...could that be it? anyway, thanks again. i REALLY appreciate it. take care, kay
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 12:41
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Kay:

I hope I understood your reply correctly.

Basically anything that causes stress (emotional stress, nutritional stress, chemical stress, physiological stress and/or hormonal stress) will increase cortisol and adrenaline. They are secreted together in times of stress. High blood sugars will increase cortisol but so will low blood sugars (ketosis). Your brain needs fuel in the form of glucose and if it's not available, it has to be converted to glucose, which requires adrenaline. The goal is to have enough low GI carbs along with protein to keep insulin, cortisol and adrenaline in check. It's all about balance.

Being severely hypoglycemic makes sense since Type II diabetes is a risk factor with Cushings. The good news is that it sounds like you aren't insulin resistant yet (you would no longer be hypoglycemic according to SP), that your problem has been diagnosed in good time. Have you had your insulin levels checked?

Wanda
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 152/135/130
BF:??/25%/21% or less
Progress: 77%

Wow can I relate to this post. After 4 years of Atkins I was at a good weight, but don't we always want lower? Anyway, I found myself eating more and more artificial, low-carb junk. There is just so much out there! I read Schwartzbein and was hooked. I gained two-three pounds and then seemed to settle. OK, vacation at a beach house for a week with another family. Now I'm up a total of 5-6 pounds off my "normal". No big deal, I'll do Atkins and drop the weight. What? I'm still gaining? Now 7 pounds above normal and I gain and drop the same pound over and over, no matter what I eat. HOW FRUSTRATING! Tomorrow, I will follow Schwartzbein to the letter. OK, even laying off the coffee (I only drink decaf, anyway). The problem is, do I have enough fat clothes till things right themselves? I refuse to buy clothes at this size!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 12:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 192/192/132
BF:
Progress: 0%

Dear Carol

I wonder if you're not too hung up about WEIGHT. How do you FEEL otherwise? You said you lost inches, I hate to say this, but we're not all meant to be stick-insects and as long as your general health is great and your clothes fit, I wouldn't get too hung up a number...
In case you feel REALLY bad: I read a lot on a website from a doctor Mercola (http://www.mercola.com/) and he advocates that you read a book called the The Metabolic Typing Diet. Maybe you are NOT the type for lowcarb....

Anyway, good luck
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 13:32
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%

Fabton-thanks for the link. Believe me, I am not looking to be 'stick thin'... I just turned 53, am the mother of 4 grown children and do realize that I would look sickly at my wedding day weight of 111 lbs! LOL!
However, all of the charts and stats suggest that a woman of my stature (5'3.5") should be between 110 and 140 lbs. I think for me, 140 lbs would be about right. I have been stuck here at 155 lbs now for weeks (I had gone up to 159 while on Schwarzbein). I finally managed to get back to 155 doing Atkins Fat Fast and Fat Flush (Louise Gittleman). To answer your question-- I do not feel good at this weight and I also have a thyroid problem (Hashimoto's). My hair is coming out daily, I'm cold all of the time, my nails are peeling and I'm tired. I do exercise (started Bodyflex 2 weeks ago) but can do it only in the early a.m. as that is when I can muster the energy. I have lost some inches with this program but no lbs....
will check that link!
Carol
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 14:09
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

oowwoo, might want to consider Schwarzbein again and just give it some more time. The medical conditions you are having are from hormone imbalances. Maybe you're eatting too much protein? If you are insistant on doing Atkins, do it with a SB bent and divide your protien throughout the day and the same with your carbs. Hope you feel better!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:39
Registered Member

Liz- I don't know what I'm doing right now LOL! I don't think I'm eating too much protein though-- I've even added in plain yogurt (Brown Cow-with the cultures).... I figure I can really use the extra calcium with my Osteopaenia. Do I sound like a mess or what!
I use a lot of ground flaxseed and oil--eggs and chicken --I'm not much for red meat--eat very little of that--also do salmon and tuna.
Love veggies -so I get plenty of those. I never eat any sugar, flour or carby veggies---so, I really don't know what the problem is.

Carol
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 10:10
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Carol:

Has your doctor not been able to get your thyroid under control? Seems like you'll keep hitting that metabolic brick wall until your hormones come back into balance.

Have you had your estrogen/progesterone levels checked as well? Estrogen dominance can also affect the thyroid. I had the full saliva hormone panel done and I was happy I did so. Hormones regulate our metabolism so if they are out of balance, your body will desperately hold onto fat.

I can relate to you! It's so frustrating doing everything right yet not seeing the results.

Take care,
Wanda
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 10:54
Registered Member

Wanda- you're picture is so lovely--you look so slim! I have already gone through the big "M" LOL! I don't know if the hormone tests would make any difference with me.... I do have 2 appts. scheduled with new docs (Endos)--one for Nov3rd (I made a quick appt. out of desperation with this guy because I'm losing hair daily!)--in the meantime my other appt. isn't until the 20th Nov. (been waiting for weeks...)

My prior doc was kind of a nut--he told me to hold this 'healing box' (go to www.gentlewindproject.org ) this is what this guy is into (and yes, he is a board certified Endocrinologist).
He was not listening to me and told me I could lose hair from too much Armour thryoid-- he reduced it because my TSH was .01 however, I was NOT losing weight, not sweating, do not have a rapid heartbeat (it is resting 64-67 bts/minute!)--I'm cold all of the time, can't lose weight...what does that sound like to you? Anyway, I guess it will be a waiting game--I certainly don't have any problem with cravings. I eat a pretty austere menu each day.

Carol
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 18:56
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Carol:

Thank you for the compliment. I don't have much to lose (about 10 lbs). My quest has primarily been health-related, except for a 20 year struggle to control my weight.

Well, you are in a metobolic conundrum, between menopause and hypothyroidism. I think Dr. S. mentioned something in her book about Armour Thyroid being bad b/c its prepackaged form doesn't mimick the body's natural cycle. If you don't have SPII, I'll find the quote for you if you want it. Yes, that Endo does seem a bit loopy. hehe

Do you take natural HRT for your menopause? That may also be another avenue for you to look into if you haven't already.

It sounds like no matter what way you eat, you're going to be stuck until you can balance out your hormones. That's what I've been going through with my estrogen dominance. It's soooo frustrating trying to lose weight, doing everything right, yet not seeing results. Focus on balancing those hormones and the weight should take care of itself. You've been doing everything right. Hang in there, don't lose hope!

Take care,
Wanda
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 21:12

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%

Hi Wanda!

I realize that this is an old thread but am really curious as to how you are dealing with estrogen dominance. I've been diagnosed and am about to start natural progesterone. I am eager to know how any HRT has positively affected you and about how long it has taken. I have symptoms a mile long and just can't wait to feel better--not to mention losing a little weight. I hope you are doing well.

Thanks! Tig
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 05:53
Registered Member

Hi Tigger-- I may get some 'flack' over this answer but here goes...
I never chose to do the HRT (I'm not big on Rx drugs-especially now that there is so much negative publicity on the HRT's). I am more into the 'natural' ways of controlling symptoms.....
However, I saw a very interesting program on Larry King show last night.
He interviewed Suzanne Sommers (obviously she is not a physcian), but apparently, she has done a lot of research on HRT and after several years of misery with Meno symptoms. She discovered a Dr.'s who do 'Bio-identical' hormones (specifically made up for YOUR body and blood levels). She has written a new book and I guess has a list of these Endocrinologists who do this type of treatment. I can't remember the exact name of the book--something like "Sexy into your mid years.for women and men...(can't remember the exact title!).
Anyway, hope this helps or at least may give you another avenue to check out. I may do so myself just because she says she feels wonderful on this bio-identical hormone.

Carol
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 08:15
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Dr. S advocates bio-identical hrt in her books.