Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-17, 03:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

My view is that skipping a meal and eating within an 8 or 4 hour window is a good way to reduce insulin, blood glucose and lose weight. Dr. Ted Naiman has a longish but good summary of IF, how body fat is burned for energy in an 8 hour window vs eating six times a day in a 14 window, even if calorie equal. Do whatever timing comes naturally to you, but contracting the time eating in a day has benefits. http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/inte...nt-fasting.html
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-17, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
My view is that skipping a meal and eating within an 8 or 4 hour window is a good way to reduce insulin, blood glucose and lose weight. Dr. Ted Naiman has a longish but good summary of IF, how body fat is burned for energy in an 8 hour window vs eating six times a day in a 14 window, even if calorie equal. Do whatever timing comes naturally to you, but contracting the time eating in a day has benefits. http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/inte...nt-fasting.html

Thanks for the article, JEY100. It was a great read. I just started Atkins diet and am 1 week in. I never used to eat breakfast but started to when I started Atkins diet. I'm not really sure why. I just thought I should.

I will go back to not eating breakfast now. Intermittent fasting makes since to me. The only problem I have is the article says not to consume ANY calories while fasting. So I guess I'll have to watch when I drink my unsweetened iced tea. I drink around 60-70 ounces of it a day with about 50 ounces of water. I guess I drink my water early and enjoy my tea later.

You have been a real help to me and my journey. Thank You so much.

Last edited by SKOL : Tue, Jul-04-17 at 13:30.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-17, 14:16

You're welcome, Skol. You just don't know me if you think I'd survive without coffee in the morning and unsweetened iced tea the rest of day!
I follow Dr Fung's fasting guidelines...if like me you can't do without coffee, then have one with a small (tsp. or 2) of cream if you can't handle black, not a so called Bulletproof coffee with 500 calories of oils. Drink all the tea you want, but without cream or any type of sweetener. A few carbs and a hundred calories of fat isn't a fast breaker to him. Sure water only is best, but he is realistic and thinks IF with the lowest amount of calories doable is better than none. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...77&page=1&pp=15

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jul-05-17 at 03:41.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Well, I guess I can say I'm not fat adapted yet which makes since cause I've only been lchf for less than two weeks (start July 1). Woke up this morning hungry. Made it the first couple days fasting 16+ hours no prob. But this morning woke up hungry.

I ate 2 oz. of cheese and a couple meat sticks and fine now. :-)

Last edited by SKOL : Fri, Jul-07-17 at 10:47.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 20:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

a can of campbells beef broth gets me threw the ruff spots
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 19:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOL
Well, I guess I can say I'm not fat adapted yet which makes since cause I've only been lchf for less than two weeks (start July 1). Woke up this morning hungry. Made it the first couple days fasting 16+ hours no prob. But this morning woke up hungry.

I ate 2 oz. of cheese and a couple meat sticks and fine now. :-)
Glad to hear you ate when hungry. Another thing with IFing, is that you don't need to follow a strict schedule and in fact, mixing it up keeps your body from getting into a rut like it does with other low-cal diets. I normally eat a late lunch and early dinner, but sometimes my body wants to switch to breakfast and lunch, so I just follow its lead. After a couple of days it is back to lunch & dinner.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-17, 07:04
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOL
I will go back to not eating breakfast now. Intermittent fasting makes since to me. The only problem I have is the article says not to consume ANY calories while fasting. So I guess I'll have to watch when I drink my unsweetened iced tea. I drink around 60-70 ounces of it a day with about 50 ounces of water. I guess I drink my water early and enjoy my tea later.

You have been a real help to me and my journey. Thank You so much.
Good article that, quite to the point. An HB egg or piece of jerky as a snack won't cause an insulin release like a slice of bagel though.
I still have coffee, cream and a couple Brazil Nuts and occasionally a few cherries or a little kefir in the am. Then I fast till about 1:30 or 2 PM have 1/2 grapefruit and eat 30 minutes later in an one-hour-window. I try not to eat again till snack time about 5 or 6 PM. Can't drink tea while fasted, it causes instant hunger pangs -- at least for me. I don't need AS or other sweeteners anymore.

As hot as it is here I do biking and or chores in the early mornings so sometimes I can't wait till 1:30 to start, but sometimes it's later if I am busy or just not hungry. What you eat during the main meal makes all the difference. And yes I do watch calorie totals don't get too high. Works for me, I believe I like it even better than the PSMF or FMD approaches. Like they say "find what works for you", but keep in mind what used to work well may stop working and then you have to re-group. Keep in mind it's common to gain weight but loose the "belly" at the same time.

Last edited by mike_d : Sun, Jul-09-17 at 07:45.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 07:06
Grease is the word!

Found a coffee I can handle black since Naiman recommends no calories between meals.
Quote:
Specially ground to release deep, rich flavors and served in New Orleans finest restaurants for over 100 years.
http://frenchmarketcoffee.com/coffee

I find it at Walmart, look for the red can. Very rich, I use about 1 TBS / mug of coffee. Has less caffeine too so go ahead and have another
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 08:20

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I found what I like black is a mixture of half French Roast and half Breakfast Blend, although I don't like either of them alone without cream.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 10:29
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I found what I like black is a mixture of half French Roast and half Breakfast Blend, although I don't like either of them alone without cream.
Yeah, I do that for variety. Community, Dunkin's or McCaffe. I think Sonic puts some in their coffee blend too that gives it that signature hint of caramel.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-17, 11:53

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I just finished reading Dr Fung's book as well. I knew about IF, but he does a good job at fleshing out the science of 'why' it works. I've always enjoyed intermittent fasting and do 24 hour fasts now some days. From lunch to lunch. Doesn't bother me at all. I do drink coffee though in the a.m.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 18:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/223/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

I haven't been on this site for a while so please explain. what is Intermittent
fasting? How long do you fast?
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 02:21

Complete guide to IF, explains timing, etc: https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 06:42

Plan: aitkinish
Stats: 172/140/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 62%

Janet, thank you for the last link.
I have been dabbling with the idea of IF and this link was very informational, easy to understand.
Kim
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 10:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I don,t think I would have made to to goal without ifm. It blew me threw the last few months of the diet. On the other hand I did a 6 week challenge the last 6 weeks of the diet and while the two day a week full fasting days went easy I was terrible hungry shortly after I broke the fast each time and had to be super careful about what I ate and how much.