Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 17:31

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 179/149/145 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default phase 1 to phase 3?

I started SBD on November 1st on phase one for a few weeks, then switched to phase two and gradually added carbs (fruit, yogurt, south beach bars, carrots, protein powder, thin whole wheat bagels, sweet potatoes) as recommended. A couple weeks ago I went to Vegas for about a week and destroyed my body (good times!) so when I got home I decided to go back to phase one for a couple weeks. It's worked fantastically and I'm only ~5 pounds away from my target weight now.

My question is do I need to start gradually re-introducing carbs again when switching back to phase two or can I just go immediately back to the diet I was on a few weeks ago?

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 13:04
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Since you haven't gotten an answer, I'll pop in and offer my thoughts.

I'm not on South Beach, but follow Atkins. We have an induction phase, which is like phase 1, then the rest of the phases which pretty much follow the SB phases (more or less).

When you've bit of time off (like a vacation) where you haven't eaten as you should, we often go "back to basics" IE Induction for a week or so to get things moving, and then back to the phase of the plan we are at. So, I think it's fine to eat very clean like in phase 1, and then go back to where you were in plan once you have calmed the cravings and negated any negative scale effects.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 14:56
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstockton
I started SBD on November 1st on phase one for a few weeks, then switched to phase two and gradually added carbs (fruit, yogurt, south beach bars, carrots, protein powder, thin whole wheat bagels, sweet potatoes) as recommended. A couple weeks ago I went to Vegas for about a week and destroyed my body (good times!) so when I got home I decided to go back to phase one for a couple weeks. It's worked fantastically and I'm only ~5 pounds away from my target weight now.

My question is do I need to start gradually re-introducing carbs again when switching back to phase two or can I just go immediately back to the diet I was on a few weeks ago?

Thanks for reading!

Hi!

What you are doing by going back top phase I after your vacation is very wise.
I've been maintaining my weight now on SB for the past 5 yrs...I float between all the phases all the time simply to manage my weight. There is no rule about that...its life and this is who I learned how to eat well and manage my weight.
Its a matter of how many starches and fruits you have found you can eat and not see gain. That is up to you and your body.
I can eat 2 fruits and 2 starches a day and see a bit of loss. I believe that this is because its how I ate to lose my weight and I do a lot of walking.
I go in an out of not eating my fruits and or starches depening on what I expect to accomplish.

My answer is yes, once you get back to the weight you want, you can add back your starches....or start now with a fruit and a starch per day and see how you do.

Hope this helps!!