Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 02:21

Plan: Atkins / South Beach
Stats: 152/148/140 Female 5''8
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default switching over from Atkins next week

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums so I just wanted to introduce myself and get some advice!

I have been on Atkins since the 10th Jan to try and stabilise my blood sugar so I can make it through the day at work (I teach from 7:30-13:30) without getting massive hunger pangs. I also wanted to lose a bit of weight, I'm not sure how much but i've set my goal randomly at 140lbs.

I managed to lose 4lbs on Atkins (I lost 7lbs in a week but put 3lbs of it back on and then maintained), but couldn't stick to it without 'cheating' with things like wholewheat crackers, apples and the odd bite of wholewheat pasta. I like the idea of low carb, and the effect it has on me, but I can't stick to Atkins and have a bit of an issue with the saturated fat on it. I'm also training for a half marathon and I found I just couldn't do it on Atkins induction, and had to ramp my carbs up to about 40g a day so I could run normally. Therefore, I looked for alternatives and found South Beach!

I've ordered the book from Amazon, and it should be coming tomorrow. I'm planning to eat generally low carb this week, read the book and shop properly for ingredients so I am ready to go next Sunday. We are having a flat warming party on Saturday so I don't want to start before then (no alcohol at my own party!!)

I'm British but I live in mainland Europe, so I definitely don't have access to sugar-free jelly or other helpful products. The most I can get is protein shakes, which I ate/drank for breakfast on Atkins. However, my boyfriend is going on a research trip to Texas next month so if I find I desperately need sugar free syrup or something he can buy it for me then!

So, just to say hi and I'll be surfing around here this week for tips!

Have a nice Sunday

Claire
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 13:09
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccooks
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums so I just wanted to introduce myself and get some advice!

I have been on Atkins since the 10th Jan to try and stabilise my blood sugar so I can make it through the day at work (I teach from 7:30-13:30) without getting massive hunger pangs. I also wanted to lose a bit of weight, I'm not sure how much but i've set my goal randomly at 140lbs.

I managed to lose 4lbs on Atkins (I lost 7lbs in a week but put 3lbs of it back on and then maintained), but couldn't stick to it without 'cheating' with things like wholewheat crackers, apples and the odd bite of wholewheat pasta. I like the idea of low carb, and the effect it has on me, but I can't stick to Atkins and have a bit of an issue with the saturated fat on it. I'm also training for a half marathon and I found I just couldn't do it on Atkins induction, and had to ramp my carbs up to about 40g a day so I could run normally. Therefore, I looked for alternatives and found South Beach!

I've ordered the book from Amazon, and it should be coming tomorrow. I'm planning to eat generally low carb this week, read the book and shop properly for ingredients so I am ready to go next Sunday. We are having a flat warming party on Saturday so I don't want to start before then (no alcohol at my own party!!)

I'm British but I live in mainland Europe, so I definitely don't have access to sugar-free jelly or other helpful products. The most I can get is protein shakes, which I ate/drank for breakfast on Atkins. However, my boyfriend is going on a research trip to Texas next month so if I find I desperately need sugar free syrup or something he can buy it for me then!

So, just to say hi and I'll be surfing around here this week for tips!

Have a nice Sunday

Claire

Hello and welcome!

I wish you great success on the SBD.

We've got the food lists here along with the meal plan guides. Both are located in your weekly weighin thread, 2nd and 3rd posts for phase I and II. They are great tools! I used the meal plan guide to teach me how to eat this way....I suggest this to all newbies.

The thing about the whole wheat crackers and pastas.....isn't that they are off plan or not legal becasue on SBD, they are legal and allowed in phase II. The thing that can pose as a problem for weight loss is that they are a processed grain product aka flour and that can inhibit weight loss even if it is 'whole grain'. I recommend things like sweet potato or winter squashes before grains when you do enter phase II.

There is another very nice woman here who lives in Austria also and is following the SBD. MamaSebo is her name.

Phase I of SB is where I think you need to begin. This will raise your carbs up to about 60 grams per day..if you eat all that it allows for.

I'm here, along with others who will be happy to help you make the transition.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 09:00

Plan: Atkins / South Beach
Stats: 152/148/140 Female 5''8
BF:

Hi Judy!

Thanks for your reply! I got the book today and have been reading it. I'm currently trying to make my own US cup measuring thing so I don't have to convert to ml and grams all the time...

I like the look of South Beach so far, I think it is a much more do-able plan for me. My boyfriend is a decathlete and therefore has to eat (good) carbs, so I am pleased i'll be able to eat some forms of noodles and pasta on phase two!

I'll work on my meal plans for next week and start on Sunday. I have too many nice cakes and flavoured vodkas planned for the party on Saturday to start tomorrow A bit of research and then I'll get straight back onto it next week.

You are right about the grains, I am intolerant to something (I suspect wheat / flour). I get symptoms when I cheat on Atkins (and I had them before I started), so the South Beach process of elimination will be good for me. I really want to know exactly what it is so I can cut it out for good!

Have a nice week and thanks for your advice, I'm sure I'll be checking back in here for advice this week!

Claire