Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 12:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Water aerobics

Anyone doing water aerobics??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-01, 08:52

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I am not doing water aerobics but a few years ago in college, my basketball coach used to make our team do them (after practice and lifting!)

Do you do them?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-01, 10:30

BF:

Yes, just started. I don't know what to expect. You know things: like no pain no gain? is it how fast you walk? or the mileage you walk?, is it really a good weight loss tool?

At any rate I am sure enjoying the pool in this 100 degree weather we are having in Texas. I can swim until around 11:00 pm without getting a chill. Of course, I am certainly getting more exercise than I have in a long time so I know it is better than none.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-01, 11:39

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I am a firm believer that most any exercise is good exercise! My coach made us do all kinds of exercises in the pool-- treading water (just arms, just legs, both), swimming with kickboards, abs and pushups, and a bunch of different basketball drills (jumping, defensive slides). Basically, I think she just made it up as she went along! It was a pretty decent workout though!

I am not sure about it as a tool for weight loss but it is exercise and that can lead to weight loss so to me, anything helps!

I hope you enjoy it!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 12:06

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default How is your Water Aerobics working out?

Hi:

I am thinking of starting some water aerobics? Any tips and pointers?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 12:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Nothing right now

But if you wait about a month I'm sure I'll be full of tips I've signed up for 2 classes a week for the Fall and 3 a week for the Winter. Really looking forward to it. Supposed to be an excellent cardio workout while being soft on the joints (primarily knees in my case, tooooooo much jogging).

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 10:29

BF:

Sarlye, the water aerobics is great. Not only are you outside (perhaps) in the fresh air but weightless!!

I went to Academy Sports and bought the package of water aerobic sports equip. The Web hand gloves (2), shoes (2) bar bells (2) and waist belt (1). The web hand gloves I wear when walking laps. Yes even with bad knees I do 80 laps which I understand is 1 3/4 miles but with resistance equilant to 3 miles out of water.

Keeping your gloved hands below water to get more resistance while moving hands and arms back and forth when walking. I have really lost inches in arms.

The shoes are weird! They want to float so put them on near the edge or out of the water. You walk with these on, they want to float so you are tensing muscle to keep your feet on the floor of the pool.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 10:38

BF:

The waist belt I use when walking also. Causes extra resistance because it too wants to float and you do not glide through the water as well.

I love the bar bells. You do all kinds of stuff with them just like at the gym. I don't know if I can describe them all there is a site on the internet where I found a bunch of exercises. I'll try and find the url and send it to you.

The only other things I have are called noodles. You find them at Walmart/KMart in the kids section. You can tie these in a knot and put your foot inside the knot then MAKE your foot go to the bottom of the pool and the exercise is to lift leg out (back to side of pool) and pull in back under to pool bottom. Then change with side to pool side and let your leg go out towards center then down under again. BE CAREFUL HERE. Floats up fast and can pull inner thigh fast. Then turn with stomach to side of pool lifting leg out to pool center behind you. These are really really good!

After this work out you sleep real good!!

Good luck. If you have anymore questions just holler at me. I love this stuff and I have a very nice tan and am 44 lbs lighter since June 26 this year.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 11:04

BF:
Talking Thanks Dizz

Wow, so much info.

I will hit my goal weight if I lose 44lbs... how often are you doing Water Aerobics? and How long per session?

I don't have a pool so I have signed up for a class at the local community pool. I don't know if they allow you to use the noodle and the weights, etc.

I bought some scuba shoes type of thing and its good for my feet so it doesn't get scrape up in the pool.

I will look for those web gloves, I really want to lose all the giggly from under my arms.

I have knee and joints problems also due to several car accidents so I am hoping the water aerobics can take the pressure off the joints when I am exercising.

My dermatologist said that I should be in the pool at least 3 times a week so that my Rosacea -red face due to broken capillaries- will get better.

Please send me the URL for all the exercises when you run across it. I will try to do it after class on during free swim at the pool.

Thanks bunches
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 11:42

BF:

http://hydro-tone.com/ Is the site for the exercises. This is the best place for exercises that I have found. I know what you mean about the giggly arms. Like a flying squirrel in drag!
I get out daily sometimes more only because it is so convenient. My friend exercises with me 3 days a week.

I want to not only lose the weight but have the extra skin go with it so I am spending as much time as possible pool exercising because I am losing the weight reasonably quick now and I'm sure that will slow down so I want to get as much off while I have the momentum. Does that make sense?? At least that is my justification besides I really an enjoying the outside and the pool.

My knees will not allow me to do walking or aerobics or other exercises that will benefit my legs, stomach, or butt but this is so freeing.

Enjoy.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 12:01

BF:
Talking Thanks again..

I know what you mean about the knees. It took 2 years of intensive physiotherapy and loads of painful exercises to get me back to walking normally and without pain.

I still feel my knees and joints aching when I forget to stretch or have walked too long.

I am going to start swimming widths Tues & Thurs and do Water Aerobics on Mondays and Fridays. Well that's the plan anyway, hopefully I will be able to stick to it.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 14:14

BF:

Good luck. I know you will enjoy the pool and the exercises. However, you may not notice how tired your knees get until later on that night when they are really aching so don't overdo because it doesn't hurt at the time.

A friend and her husband came over a couple of weeks ago, he taught me to swim. Boy, is that exercise!

Liz