Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 15:46

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%
Angry 3 weeks on 20g's a day, gained for just 5 days off... annoying!

Hi everyone,

I messed up and I wanted to tell someone, so thought I would log onto the forum. I didn't know where to post this, then I saw the confession booth! perfect .

Ok so, I started low carbing/induction on the 5th November. I weighed myself for the first time in months on 7th November, found out I had gained an extra 2 stone.

Wednesday 19th (so 2 weeks into diet) I was naughty, and on the 20th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd. So, I fell off track for 5 days. Come Monday 24th I was back on track. I didn't bother weighing myself last Friday (21st) because I was off track. I weighed myself today (28th) and I have gone up 1lb.

So I dunno, but them 5 days off track made me gain 1lb and not lose a thing. So, 16 days on 20g's a day or less and I have lost 5lbs... I am extremely unhappy with that to be totally honest.

I know some people will think, 5 days off track and being naughty and only gaining a lb? that aint bad. Well I feel it is. Surely, eating bad for 5 days cannot make one gain weight!? it's ridiculous. And only losing 5lbs in 3 weeks on induction carbs?... not happy. Basically, I am comparing it with my low carbing last year. I never gained on the scales, I lost weight near enough every week... I may have had a couple of weeks where I stayed the same. So why should it be any different this time .

I just feel there is no hope for me in the future with food. Unless I stay below 20g's a day I will gain. That's hard to accept, surely no one should have to eat below 20g's a day just so they don't gain weight?

I doubt it's to due with my period, because I only finished my last one not even 3 weeks ago.

I have also actually come off the pill to see if I could lose weight better. It seems as though I am doing the opposite. I may as well go back on it...

Last year when low carbing I was eating under 20g's a day and going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. I lost weight near enough every week, normally more than 2 or 3lbs a week.
Since starting this time, I have only been doing the eating side of it I haven't been exercising. I can't seem to get my butt to the gym because I suffer with depression and I am finding it hard to just go there.

Just feeling sorry for myself and doing my head in as to why I gain weight so easily.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 06:43

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 205/201/145 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress: 7%

Just a thought, maybe the pound you gained was caused by food inside you having just been eated? Scale error could be an issue too. One set of scales I have has an average error of 150g, about one quarter of a pound.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 16:00

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

Hi,

I always weigh first thing in the morning after going to the loo, so I will not have had any food before weighing.

Update, 1 week later... and I've not lost anything, gained another lb. So 4 weeks low carbing and lost 6lbs first week, lost nothing for 2 weeks then gained 1lb and have gained another lb... honestly this is just pathetic.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-08, 20:55

Plan: Primal...ish
Stats: 158/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Kay, I can easily gain 8 pounds on a weekend-long cheat, so I assure you it's easily possible to gain from cheating.

You mentioned in passing that you have depression. I can 'hear' it in what you're writing (I have it myself, so I'm attuned to it). This is a big deal. Depression can make it extremely difficult to keep your weight down, and some people crave carbs terribly from it (like me sometimes).

More importantly though, it affects your attitude towards your weight. During my last episode, at 125 pounds, I cried constantly about how fat and gross I was and wouldn't go out because I was too ugly. My depression is now in remission, and I've gained almost 20 pounds. But I don't care. I mean, I care and I'm trying to take care of myself, but I'm not a miserable blob. I still feel kinda cute. It's not absolute.

I don't mean to be patronizing- weight management is excruciating and hideously difficult a lot of the time. That's why we're all here. I'm just worried that you're seeing the struggle through the lens of a dangerous illness. Does being off the pill make the depression worse? If so, that may be more important than any effects on your weight.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-08, 20:35

Plan: Just clean eatin'
Stats: 215/185/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay2008
Hi everyone,

So, 16 days on 20g's a day or less and I have lost 5lbs... I am extremely unhappy with that to be totally honest.

5 pounds in a little over 2 weeks is AMAZING! That's a healthy rate of loss for the first two weeks. And after that, it WILL slow down even more, to 1-2 pounds per week on average. But that's a good thing! Slow and steady wins the race.

Just wanted to give you a big for losing 5 lbs. That's an accomplishment!

Also, you're losing more slowly this time because your body wised up to what you were doing last time. It's like, "Oh, I remember this, it's famine time." And your body is clinging to its fat because of that. Most people that have dieted several times note that it's harder each time to start shedding weight. But it WILL come off! Hang in there.

The 1 lb. gain is probably water weight from the extra sodium the days you were off plan. It'll go away after a couple of days on induction again.

Anyhoo. Congrats on the 5 lbs.!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 14:41
at peace with myself

Plan: Healthy choices
Stats: 201/191.6/144 Female 5 ft 8n
BF:
Progress: 16%

I was off plan for one evening and I didn't eat that poorly. My weight jumped up 5lbs as a result. Two of it came off the next day (water weight)...but I am still holding on to 3 lbs.

I think you are very lucky to have only gained 1 lb in 5 days....you can not cheat on low carb...imo it is not like other diets...cheating causes unproportional exponential weight gain.

I have also heard that the second time around it is always slower...I experienced that.

To be successful you are going to have to decide that eating under 20 carbs is not a punishment to be avoided, but a lifestyle to embrace.

Best wishes!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 14:46
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

Like most people I gain faster then I lose, 1 day of cheating can put 5 pounds on me, and its harder to get off, too. Its really not worth it, because the food I can have is good.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 15:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay2008
I just feel there is no hope for me in the future with food. Unless I stay below 20g's a day I will gain. That's hard to accept, surely no one should have to eat below 20g's a day just so they don't gain weight?

This is not a reasonable conclusion...you don't descibe what you mean by being "naughty". What did you eat? Was it a total carbfest? Did you overeat? If so, THAT'S the problem.

There's a lot ground between 20 grams of carbs per day (induction-level strictness) and a complete carb-meltdown. What you learned from your five-day cheat is that what you ate during that period will cause you to gain. That doesn't mean that you can't eat 30, 40, 50, or 60 grams of non-sugary carbs and still maintain your weight. Part of the process of low-carbing successfully is to gradually increase your carbs (by adding veggies, low-glycemic fruit, and so on) so that you can learn what your limits are.

Your experience makes it clear that you can't be "naughty" for five days without gaining. So you can't hope to maintain if you make that a habit. But that doesn't mean you are restricted to 20 grams of carbs for life. As you work the plan and move toward maintenance, you will figure out how to eat to maintain equilibrium. But low-carbing has to become part of your lifestyle, not just a temporary diet. Five-day excursions into a higher-carb way of eating need to be few and far between.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 16:24
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I went off plan for 2 days and gained 9lbs. I didn't even do that bad, I just ate like everyone else did.

Just dig your heels in and keep on keepin on.

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 02:12

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

NixCarbs

There was a time when eating like everyone else wasn't such a bad thing. But, these days a lot of people I know live on chips and sodas and they are adults.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 09:19
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

By everyone else, I mean they were eating the side starch for every meal (hashbrowns, sandwiches, crackers, potatoes, rice, pasta etc)

To many others in my family, it has no effect on them. I, on the other hand, bloat like a water balloon.

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-09, 13:47

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
By everyone else, I mean they were eating the side starch for every meal (hashbrowns, sandwiches, crackers, potatoes, rice, pasta etc)

To many others in my family, it has no effect on them. I, on the other hand, bloat like a water balloon.

Lisa

Well that isn't fair. But, OTH maybe going low carb will work better for you than it would them if they went low carb.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 08:25

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%

Anytime I eat off plan, I know that I hold tons of water from carbs. Dont get so discouraged, just get back on track and stay there!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 328/263/140 Female 162
BF:
Progress: 35%

Sweetie, there is ALWAYS hope!!! Just dust yourself off, call it a life lesson and keep on going
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 08:56

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsoda
You mentioned in passing that you have depression. I can 'hear' it in what you're writing (I have it myself, so I'm attuned to it). This is a big deal. Depression can make it extremely difficult to keep your weight down, and some people crave carbs terribly from it (like me sometimes).

More importantly though, it affects your attitude towards your weight. .

SO true and very good advice. I can't tell you how many times I've sabotaged myself by letting myself think something like, "What da' hell, I didn't lose anything this week, might as well....." have some carbs, eat that thing I know I don't need, etc, etc, etc. And once you open up that particularly dark door there's often no turning back. So you just can't let yourself go there.

Read these boards often, read every book on LC you can find, subscribe to every LC webzine there is, whatever it takes to keep you constantly aware, so you don't fall back into the old "what does it matter, I'm not losing!" routine we do in our heads. Okay, so you didn't lose this week - might not lose next week - but you will lose eventually if you stay the course. Hang in there.