Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 20:34

Plan: first diet cure...now want to try SII
Stats: 163/163/149.5 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default type 1 diabetic

Today, 21:31
type 1 diabetic Post #1

susan-eliz

Plan: first diet cure...now want to try SII
Stats: 139.5/144/130
BF:

I am a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. i am using the schwarzbeing principle food plan. Just recently began. I am a bit clueless as she as well as other food plans work extensively with type 2 diab. So, I am not sure which cateqory I am in. Anyone out there on her plan and are also a type 1?
susan-elizabeth

Report Post | IP: Logged
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 21:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

I am not a diabetic but if you follow the plan for being insulin resistant, it would be most helpful. Eating the balanced way she suggests should greatly improve your health.

Keep us posted how you are doing.

Piano
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 12:31

Stats: 171/175/120 Female 5'6" (inches)
BF:
Progress: -8%

Susan,

I am also a type I diabetic on the insulin pump. Right now, I am following Atkins. I, too am frustrated because none of the plans address the issues specific to a type I diabetic. I am not even sure from what I read that the principles behind low carb will work for weight loss in Type I's. I am aware of Bernstein, but even he does not address weight loss and Type I's. His chapter on weight loss is directed to type II's!

Have you had any luck with losing weight? I've actually gained weight on Atkins because my sugars are under better control! I am holding out hope that once things level off, I will start losing weight, but I've now been doing this about 6 weeks!

I'd love to hear what you have found to help you. Thanks,

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 17:16

Plan: Modified Schwarzbein
Stats: 239/221/185 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Out of lurking...

I am not a Diabetic, but know alot about Type 1, as my wonderful 10 year old son has been Type 1 for about 2 1/2 years.

I would say that the main benefit of Schwarzbein (to reiterate Piano) is a healthier way of eating.

When my son was diagnosed, Phx Children's Hospital had him on Humalog and NPH, and he HAD to eat a certain number of carbs -- HAD to have breakfast, lunch, dinner AND snacks when required... I knew from my knowledge of diets that he was consuming WAY too many carbs.

We found a wonderful new pediatric endocrinologist, who immediately ditched the NPH and replaced with Lantus, so now my son only has to take an appropriate dose of Humalog with each meal. I have lowered his carbs to a reasonable level ('cept when he wants some dessert) and he has dropped a lot of weight and is much healthier, less stressed about having to eat and we have better control over his sugars.

Although I do not have my kids on Schwarzbein (yet), I could see where this WOE would support you in your Type 1 management.

Best of luck, hope that helps...

Ken
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 00:38
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

I remember having read somewhere on the net that the difference between type I and II was maybe not so principal as thought before.

If that is true LC might benefit more than expected. There is an insuline simulator somewhere on the net that might help you check how your feeding way of life influences your insulin levels.

I found that LC gives great stability, including my own way of eating little at daytime. This I did for checking the sanity of it, I wouldn't like to get type II because of dieting...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-04, 20:59

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 283/203/170 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 71%

In Apr.2002 was found to have type II diabetes..
Hg1A = 9.0

I did a great deal of reading, was sent to diabetes class at the hospital. They were certainly glad when I was out of there!

Argued with them that 150-180 carbs per day was the cause of my diabetes. Cut back to 60 and in Apr. 2003 (Hg1 was 5.2).
In Aug.2004 was still at 5.2!

Have maintained the weight loss, feel one heck of a lot better.
One of my co-workers is trying this. After 12 years of using insulin, he is down to 1 shot "some" days. His doctor is about to put him on oral medication!

He lost 48 lbs. in a year...I personally lost 63 lbs. my first year and have dropped another 20 lbs over the next year and a half!

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 17:46

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My mom is T2 diabetic ( I was hypoglycemic before Atkins ) and thinks that when she has a drop in here blood glucose she should eat a cookie! She makes me crazy but she has been diabetic for 22 years and I can't tell her a damn thing that she thinks is worth listening to.

Claude, I am going to tell her about your experience.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 17:00

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 283/203/170 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 71%

The sad thing when I was dianoised with diabetes is that I was sent to diabetic classes at Kaiser Hospital in Long Beach!

I had to attend for 3hours every Friday for 4 weeks!

There were some people in there that had been through this class 3-4 times, they were counting all of their carbs and weren't getting any better.

Now remember, according to the ADA I am suppose to have between 150-180 carbs per day!

Yet, each Carb will raise my blood sugar by 2 points...now, according to the class, I have to eat protien to slow the absorbtion of the carbs...so, raise my blood sugar 300 points (say I get up and its 120) take a breakfast of 75 carbs and my blood sugar will raise to 270!
Absorbed slowly, now for a snack of 15 carbs...brings it to 300, next lunch of 50 carbs...we are now talking 400 blood sugar, then supper and another snack or two!
Realize that when you are sleeping YOU DON'T BURN UP ANY CARBS!!!!
By the end of the day, I have a net gain of "blood sugar" waiting to happen!
They also told me to not go to bed if my blood sugar was below 160!
When I mentioned that 140 causes neurophaty (nerve damage) they counter with the bull shit of "we don't want a spike in your blood sugar".
At any rate, go with the Schwarzbein diet...I shot for 60 grams a day, walked 30 minutes and lost 83 lbs...also am feeling pretty damn good!
Now, a co-worker, has been on insuline for 8 years, was dianoised with diabetes 12 years ago. When I told him what to do, he began dropping his blood sugar.
The doctor is about to put him on oral medication...what is intresting, is that the dietitian dropped him as a patient, because he wasn't following her diet! When he asked why he was getting better after 12 years, she said "Well, we just don't know what the long term effects of YOUR diet will be!
To which he replied, "Hell, lady your diet was killing me!"
If I can help, please let me know!
I did keep a journal of what I experienced when I cut down on the carbs...would go to bed for the first month with blood sugar down to 85-90, get up in the morning and it would be 135-140, would walk, keep the carbs down and by the end of the day would be down again...took awhile on the diet before I would go to bed at 90 and get up and it would be 100-110!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 13:22

Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I was sent to the HMO dietician for a consult after my diagnosis with type II. I never went back because it was the typical ADA BS. My doctor fortunately knows better and encourages me to do low carb and he agrees with me that the diabetes may even go away after a 100 lbs or so.

I'm happy to see that someone else had the problem of a rising blood sugar while sleeping. Most people wouldn't believe me when I told them that. I would go to bed with a blood sugar or 130 and wake up with it at 230. Something else I've had a hard time with is my blood sugar going up afterward exercising. From what I read in SPII, overexercising stresses the body and for me that must mean that my blood sugar will spike.