Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-09, 20:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 255/234/165 Female 6'2
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Pilates

Hi All,

On my way to more weight loss and I have found a great tool. On my digital TV I get Lifestyles on Demand. It has mini workouts like "slim legs" and "pilates abs" that are AWESOME. Been doing them for a week now and ALREADY seeing a difference. With heavy workouts I get tired and hungry but these 2 workouts are 10 minutes each and so easy to fit in once or twice a day. I can't laugh (hurts) but man, seeing the results. I think this low impacy workouts really have a big impact. I will let y'all know how it goes. I am on a new kick! Onderland, here I COME!!!!

Surfrider
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-09, 22:45

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Do you mean on Exercise On Demand - a little redhead girl named Nicole Stewart?

I meant to tell you earlier - congrats on Onederland!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-09, 23:19

BF:

I don't want to sound discouraging at all but the little routine I just watched mostly worked a very small outer thigh area. Just a word of caution from a lady who has been there.....you can overwork your hip rotators and cause iliotibial band tightness, and piriformis syndrome (sciatica.) These exercises should be done twice a week in a rotation but not to the exclusion of working the large leg muscles (quadriceps, hamstrings, etc.) She did also do one inner thigh segment, and a pretty good stretch segment at the end. Just make sure you alternate and work the opposing muscle groups as well.

As an instructor, I had piriformis syndrome and it really did suck! I know you won't be doing it that much, but I just wanted to encourage you to also look for some other routines that worked the other larger leg muscles.

I do love Exercise On Demand!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 00:25

BF:

Thanks for the advice! I tend to get in to one routine. I used to be an athlete (went to college on an athletic scholorship) and had MULTIPLE surgeries due to sports. My final blow was a dibilitating back injury. I have severe siatica. Pilates tends to help me when off the pain meds. I am also doing squats, lunges, and abs. I have not started the arms but really need to. If you know of any low intensity programs I sure whould chek it out. These are just easy!

Surfrider
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 09:44

BF:
Talking

Try this one!

http://www.fitnessfly.com/10_Minute.../ab-dv12817.htm

That's weird I said watch out for sciatica and it is something you have had! Probably more people have had that than I realize. I have a rather serious lower back problem (spondolylolisthesis - what a mouth full) and I have sciatica also. If I overdo hip rotators - OW OW OW!!!!

So glad I could help!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 09:50

BF:

One more thing - access to water or a pool helps the sciatica much more than any land routine. The weightlessness and ability to move through a full range of motion REALLY improves this condition. Water walking or aqua jogging is wonderful. After working out, I put heavy weights on my ankles while wearing the aqua jogger and holding two noodles under each arm, and just hang for about 10 minutes like that. It's reverse traction for the lower spine.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/6984.htm
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 15:32

BF:

I would do water stuff but I have really small kids who can not swim. With my at home workout they will run around me and sometimes mimic me! I live in Hawaii so weekends we go to the beach and I walk in the water with baby in tow. VERY good workout!

Surfrider
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 15:37

BF:

Have you seen these? Kids all over the place here wear them.

http://www.cheappoolproducts.com/Ki...17~product.html