Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-10, 16:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/144/110 Female 60"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]hi my name is debbie. i am new to this site. i tried atkins years ago and lost weight QUICKLY ... now that i'm in my late forties it is much slower... i am looking forward to losing another 25 lbs
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-10, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 185/180/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi debbie123, welcome, I'm new here...struggling with doing a "clean" induction. Would like to lose at least 20 lbs, in a perfect world 30!!! Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-10, 20:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/205/198 Male 183cm
BF:22.5%
Progress: 68%

Hi Debbie,
I am also new here and also trying to loose 22 lbs. Like you I have already hit over 40s.
Still, it's very possible. Hope you can achieve your goal.
Good luck!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-10, 22:51

Stats: 200/186.5/150 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi Debbie. Welcome to the site. I am fairly new here myself and am trying to lose 60 lbs. I find this site very insiring. I would sugest to start journaling and we can all support you on your journey. I am also in my late 40s (48 in august) I find it is harder to lose now than when I was in my 20s but it is just as important to lose it now as then. Maybe more so with type 2 diabetes. Please visit my journal anytime...I love visitors. and I will check in with you to.
Good Luck
Katie
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 07:06
Registered Member

BF:

Good morning debbie...how are you doing? I forgot to mention that I am 54 (eek), and YES, it gets harder to lose...especially with hormonal changes! So much more important than looks anymore are the health impacts extra weight makes...

I find more energy, strength and less back pain, (arthritis rearing its ugly head!) when I "do" Atkins...currently I'm at a stall and trying to stay motivated to hang in there!! Have a great day! ~Kimberleigh
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 07:14

BF:
Progress:

have any of you been using the atkins bars for breakfast or lunch? i have just for convenience during the day and i felt like it was still keeping calories in some kind of control... but the weight loss after 3 weeks is at a stand still... i'm wondering if it s the bars...and thank all of you for such a warm welcome...i have never been on a site like this before...i think it is going to be very helpful
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 07:53

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Hi Debbie, welcome! I found my weight loss stalled when I hit week 3 too. You may need to do some "tweaking." If you think the bars are a problem, then go for a week without them, substituting real, natural food (of course!)

I'm 43, and my gosh the loss is much harder this time around. Still, this will be the LAST time I ever have to lose weight. I know LC is going to be my lifelong way of eating (WOE). Best wishes to you!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 08:10

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the advice ... and I agree after 40 losing weight is NOT easy but this will be the last time I do it also!! This is the only weight loss plan that works for me and I feel my best. Good luck to you
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 08:36
Registered Member

BF:

I'm finding by examining my eating more closely that my 3 week stall is possibly the Atkin's shakes, too much cream cheese, cream and Splenda...the advice on these boards is so helpful...I've been reading especially that the Atkins Nutritionals shakes/bars are a no-no in induction...that they can stall many...and again, I'm thinking my overall calorie count can also be a factor, been experimenting with "induction friendly" desserts that are probably triggering me to eat bigger portions than I should...makes the phase harder as I'm now craving sweets again at night...poop.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 08:57

BF:
Progress:

i find that by eating NO sweets during the induction i completely lose my craving for them ... in the past i always made sure that i had my "stash" of sugar free goodies and it led to a quick failure...this could just be for me ... i think we all have to experiment a little and see what works
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 12:52
A Work in Progress

Stats: 242.8/235.8/175 Female 5'7"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 10%

Welcome Debbie Glad you're here.

It is not unsual to hit week three or four and experience what seems like no loss on the scale. Our bodies are constantly adjusting to WOE. If you took measurements check them. I had/have clothes that I could not wear that I tried/try on and over time no matter what the scale says I have gotten into some and am close to being able to wearing others. This is a better feeling than seeing the numbers on the scale drop. Remember that the scale is only one indication of progress.

Also, many people ask about the Atkins bars and shakes. You will have to figure out if they hurt or help you. I have not had a problem with them but have cut back on how often I have them because I truly believe that eating real food is so much better in the long wrong than processed foods. So I save the bars for emergencies(when I am in a situation where I can't have a regularly prepared meal or as a snack when I want a treat). I try not to use them as a meal replacement.

Wishing you the best of luck as you journey through this way of eating. You definitely in the right place for lots of encouragement and support!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 20:09

BF:
Progress:

Hi I hope everyone had a great Monday!!
I have another question I bought "keto" sticks over the weekend and was very disappointed that it did not turn pink/purple, etc It happens to be "that time of the month" could that have anything to do with it?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 21:53

Stats: 200/186.5/150 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi Debbie: I have used the keto sticks during TOM and they seemed to work for me, but then every one is different.
Katie
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 04:00

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Katie ... since i'm pretty new to this I guess I have to figure out if I'm doing something wrong
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 18:27
Registered Member

BF:

It took me into week 2 to see slight change on the sticks...I was so looking forward to seeing purple! I still haven't, and it's been a month and a half (or so)...I have hit a "moderate" level at times...test the same time every day, I usually do it in the evening after work...Though the scales have not budged in weeks I AM looking better and clothes fit better...weird. Co-workers have noticed, I am not good at exercise (shame on me) but even without measuring I see a difference...My only frustration is that for such a major change in my eating I am not losing like I'd hoped...Oh well, I am adjusting and am no longer weighing every day just sticking with it! Good to talk to you and I wish you all well!