Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 06:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/170/135 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress:
Question NOISE in the head...

Hello & !

I would love to hear anyone's experience with what Dr. S describes as "noise" in the head. What it is like for them, when in the program they got relief from it, how they dealt with it effectively.

Thank you so much!

Jen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 07:01

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I think I read about this in SP III (haven't read the other two - I've got them ordered from Amazon, though) and what Dr. S means is basically thoughts running in your head all the time, sort of a mental "business". That happens to me a lot because I'm a very anxious person and tend to have a lot of things going for me at once in my head. Right now my head is at full volume because the fall semester (grad school) is starting today and I've got classes to think about (both taking and teaching), PhD programs to apply to, MA thesis to start preparing for, professional development stuff to organize, plus I'm a creative writer so I'm thinking about my stories much of the time... you get the idea .

I've only been on the program a few days so I can't say yet if I'll get relief from it but that's what I'm hoping.

Another thing that's helped me with the noise in the head that I've been doing for years is suppliments. A knowledgeable friend recommended to me a few years ago to take a combo of L-Tyrosine (an amino acid) and Vitamin B Complex. I take that every morning (along with a ton of other stuff) and it's really really helped, plus it gives me more energy and focus. My mom started giving that combo to my 94 year old grandfather and it's really helped him also.

Tam
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 06:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/170/135 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Tam-

Thanks so much for your reply and your suggestion. I am so excited to give the L-tyrosine & B Complex a try....Oh wow! You sound like you have a full plate right now! I am impressed that- with noise and all, you are able to balance such a challenging workload.

Ironically, I just put in an order for l-tyrosine yesterday before I read your post! I spent the last week scouring the internet to find info on something - ANYTHING - that can help with this noise as it has been a problem for a while and gets really really really bad...always accompanied by cravings and time after time after time, I would just end up binging on something to make it stop. I came upon all this info on brain chemistry and amino acids and supplements (most of the info from a book called "The Diet Cure" which deals with balancing brain chemistry as a component of overcoming addictions) I started experimenting this week with two of the recommended supplements - GABA and l-glutamine (which is also recommended in the Atkins plan) The book also recommends tyrosine and a few others. What attracted me was that the were said to work very very quickly, like in a few minutes after taking them. I am utterly amazed how effective just those two have been. I have NEVER been able to get through a day, even with the best intentions of sticking to a plan and staying away from the stuff that would throw me off especially in the summer, when my adrenals work overtime with all my allergies. And this week has been such a major turning point from these two little supplements. I have been able to stick to the plan and eat properly for the first time meal after meal and not be overwhelmed by cravings. It feels so great to think that finally, my body has a chance at repairing. So I ordered the other supplements this week to give them try...and reading your post gives me a lot of hope that i am on the right track.

Good luck to you this semester & with the SP plan, too!!

Jen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 09:52

Plan: Schwarzbein/0 Blood type
Stats: 155/145/130 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I just wanted to add, that I think for me "noise" can even be
an annoying song that I can't get out of my head. But I also
experience what Tammay described. I also have the Diet Cure
and the Mood Cure by the same author. My main problem is that
I have to be careful with the amino acids, (liver problems) and I
can't do the St. John's wort, I get the red skin reaction from it.
But I do try to eat the foods that can increase serotonin naturally, like turkey, almonds, cottage cheese. I think they are
listed in SP 1. I also try to take the efa's and still need a stress
b vit......Also need to get off coffee, been trying for ages, but it's hard to function without it since I have been doing it for so many years.