Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 19:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/194/150
BF:
Progress: 24%
Thumbs up

Thanks for the suggestions. I will make sure I check out recipes on the site (didn't even occur to me before). And yes, I do like seafood and I am an excellent cook.

In fact, I realized today that it's not the meat in general that I got tired of, but the specific kind of meat that I started eating just because I started this diet, that got me to the point of not liking the meat. Instead of enjoying the meat/sea food that I used to eat before, I had changed the types of meat. And that was a mistake. So now I have gone back to the meats/sea food I used to eat and I am happy.

I am posting a message on the threat "Restaurant Tips" on the other forum, that I found very useful today.

Thanks for your support and being there for me. I am doing great: 4 days 5.5lbs down!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 23:43

Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

How can you not stay on this woe. I sit here this evening after what i affectionately call a cheat day. It was supposed to be only one meal but as i told my friend once i had allowed my self a taste it was as if the bridge was broken and the food flooded in . I know my self i will never be able to eat " normal" and although i am so excited to have a "cheat day" at the end of the day i feel uncomfortable, sick to my stomach, out of control, and extremely guilty. The one thing noone addresses is binge eating and how this woe stops it.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 11:46

BF:
Question

You are right! The LC diet totally gets rid of major cravings and bingeing.

I used to LOVE chocolate and anything that contains chocolate. Now I can walk with my husband in one of those fancy bakeries (he likes exotic coffees) and not even be tempted for any of those things displayed so attractively. It's surprising! No will power is needed at all.

Do any of you have experienced the following: I have completed 1 week of Induction. On few days during this week I saw a difference of 2 to 2.5 lbs in my weight in the morning and in the evening. The morning weight was lower than the evening weight. First few times, it was so disappointing. I felt as if I gained all that weight in one day and was almost thinking of going to the only way I knew how to reduce weight before... Starvation. But those Keton measuring strips saved me. I knew that at least my body is going in the right direction... if not the scale.

Any suggestions on weighing yourself to reduce false hopes and disappointments?
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 11:51

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Seema
Any suggestions on weighing yourself to reduce false hopes and disappointments?

Don't weigh yourself. Get a measuring tape and take some measurements. It's a much better guage on how you're doing. Muscle takes up 1/3 the volume of fat, LCing builds muscle and encourages body fat loss; you end up shrinking.

Nat
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 11:51

BF:

You are right about muscles weighing more than fat. I will definitely start measuring myself. But I can't give up weighing myself either. Since the goal is in lbs, I have to know how closer I am to my goal.

I have stopped weighing myself several times a day to avoid frustration, though. That really helps. I have found that weighing around 6:30 - 7 PM really works for me. Weight is more stable. In the morning it shows too low and late at night it shows too high.

9 days -9.5 lbs down!

Thanks for your continued support. It truly helps.

Seema
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 13:02
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 223/193/153
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hi Seema,

You've had so many wonderful replies in this thread, and I just wanted to add my two cents.

I'm glad you picked up one of the low carb books to really understand low carbing and how it affects your body physiologically.

In your first message you wondered how you'd be able to stay on this for a long period. Well as the others have said, it's all about adjusting it to your needs. The plan I'm on (Schwarzbein) allows more carbs than Atkins, but it's something I know I'll be able to stick with. My husband and 13 year old daughter are also on it. My daughter has lost about 20 lbs and doesn't need to lose any more, so basically she's started adding more carbs into her diet. If you're the cook in the family, then your 12 year old and your husband can do this right along with you, just add some additional carbs into their diet, potatoes, rice, bread. They'll never know the difference. They will most likely be eating healthier than before.

I truly see this as a life long way for me to eat. When I go into the maintenance phase (probably a year from now) I'll simply add a few more carbs into my diet. But I don't ever want to go back to the way we were. Tired, heart burn, constant cravings. All that has changed. good luck to you.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 18:16

BF:

Thanks for your kind words & support.

I am glad that your family has joined you. My husband & son also need weight reduction and are making changes in their diet. But they are still holding onto certain carbs that they cannot live without. The level of commitment is not there yet, but it will come soon.

Good luck to you & your family with the LCing.

Seema
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 10:15

BF:

Did anyone experience this and how did you handle it?

Right on the mark of completing Induction, I started having cravings for SWEET... something sweet... anything sweet. I had never experienced that during first 2 weeks.

I kind of gave in for a couple of days into my craving with eating sugary stuff in small quantities. But when I saw that the weight loss has stopped and no more ketosis, I got a wake up call. Now the cravings are under control, but not gone totally.

Any suggestions on how to handle cravings for sweet? Would going back to Induction help?

Thanks
Seema
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 159/128/125 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 91%

Any suggestions on weighing yourself to reduce false hopes and disappointments? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Seema -- as a life-long dieter I had to wean myself away from the scale. Seeing my weight go up and down on LC was making me nuts (and discouraged). Now I weigh once a week - if that -- and go more by my measurements and how my clothes fit. I am a much happier camper now.
Anita
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 15:33

BF:

Anita, Thank you so much for your suggestion. Now on I will start weighing myself once a week.

You are right about the discouragement the daily weighing causes. Actually, how the clothes fit seems to be the best way to judge how one is doing. It feels so great to see the pants being so loose.

Thanks once again. Keep up the good work!

Seema
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 21:27

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I couldn't weigh myself everyday either...I ended up killing my scale...literally...I was PMS-ing (notice the finger...I think it is the middle one...lol) .. and it went out the door...hehehe...anyhow...I now have a new scale, and only weigh myself once a week...was going to do it only once a month, but that was just too little...I couldn't stand the suspence of not knowing the numbers. So far...so good with the new scale...
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 16:23
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%

Hope you have a good day!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 18:04

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Angry low fat

Hi everybody, Great thread. I posted this in Media Watch but want to post it here too, so more people will read it.

www.nationalpost.ca

on the left, click on arts and life

"Low fat diets may help cause obesity"

Another interesting article in the Toronto star today. Unrtil 1960, the average person ate 1 whole lb. of butter per week!!!
No marg then of course, and we were alot thinner. Proves that fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do.

I'm at work, got to run, see ya later and good luck.

nancy