Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 16:07

Plan: Schwarzbein/0 Blood type
Stats: 155/145/130 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Wink schwarzbein & skin health

Hi all,
I have read Schwarzbein 1 & 2. My kids, mostly teens now, have varying
degrees of acne problems with the youngest 14 yr. old boy the worst. I
think there is a "sugar" problem going on like Dr. Schwarzbein describes of
herself in the first book. So we are really watching our diets, avoiding sweets, too much gluten, etc. I guess I was hoping to hear about others experiences, if any can share about whether the program helped your skin.
Thanks!
We made a derm appointment for end of December for him, as it is getting worse, and he has braces also, so we need to do something that works.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 22:42
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 128/128/122 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

I STOPPED EATING DAIRY...i realized it was the cause of break outs...i suffered from acne...then went on diet and acne became SEVERE adn i realized it was the diet...and i didnt know what in the diet...bc i usually dont eat all the meat, nuts, diary...eventaully figured out DAIRY...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 07:58

BF:

Wow, thanks for replying. It has been awhile since I posted this question. Dairy, huh? I believe it. Will try to cut it out
and see if it helps them. Thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 09:16

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Be really careful with the dermatologist if he prescribes drugs. I think it's tetracycline that they may put people with acne on which causes problems with candida. MD's of course don't care about candida, so you'll never hear about that risk from them. I like the dairy suggestion, dairy is really hard on our systems in so many ways. I know it's hard to cut things from kids diets because they don't have the same out look as us, and they are hungry and growing. Poor kid, I hope it gets better soon.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 10:14

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

If the Dr. puts your kids on antibiotics, try taking oil of oregano and cooking with coconut oil (virgin, cold pressed) and that will hopefully keep the candida under control. It works for me anyway. --Gail
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 05:09
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

OMG DO NOT EVER TAKE ANTIBIOTICS FOR ACNE...I did and when i got off...my acne went from moderate to REALLY bad...I got it back in check when i did chinese medicine (teas) and it got slightly better...but also they told me to stay away from red meat, dairy, sweets...so i stayed away but not completely...my acne improved...THEN i went on stupid south beach w tons of cheese and broke out in severe acne...now im on eat to live diet...which is high nutrient (lots of greens and beans) and low fat..and im almost clear...the best ive been in YEARS...i believe dairy had the worse effect on me
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Acne has nothing to do with "infection of the skin." It's a hormonal imbalance pure and simple. Get to the cause(s) of the hormomal inbalance (whether it be diet, environment or underlying glandular dysfunction) and you'll get to the cause of the acne. That's the hard part, I'm more than sure, b/c a person with hormonal imbalances is probably reacting to many things, not just one thing.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 158/158/120 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress:

When my son was almost exactly that age, he had quite a break out also, as did most of his male friends. Whether or not he would have been able to avoid such a break out had he been on the Schwarzbein Program at the time, we'll never know. I will say that at the age of 14, a boys hormones are exploding and acne is an extremely common side-effect, if you will. My son tried everything - ointments, creams, etc. Bless his heart, he even had to go on his first school formal all broken out like he'd never been before- it was a horrible breakout. I'm proud of him for going anyhow! Though he still has some light acne, the bad stuff cleared up after about a year of it. Don't know if that encourages or discourages you. Hope it's a bit of encouragement that it won't last forever.

Mindy
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 12:48

BF:

Hi all, thanks for so many replies. I have to say that out of my
5 kids, 4 of them have skin problems. The oldest and youngest sons are the worst, with the second oldest son, pretty bad,
and my daughter despite all her hygiene, is also affected. The oldest is anti-meds, so it's been hard on him. At almost 22, he
is still having problems. I have no idea why the 3rd son has pretty normal skin, but he is also the most physically fit of them.
I think maybe there's something like mercury or something else
glandular going on. My daughter and the youngest son are on meds, she's on minocycline, he's on accutane. I have tried so
many things, but we have not been able to figure it out. Mydaughter, at 18 pretty much demanded meds cause her skin
got so bad at college. And my 15 year old was really suffering.
I was frustrated, because the mds. basically just prescribe meds, don't believe diet helps. I've read countless health books
to try and figure it out. I think diet is related, but it may be something else also. Anyway, thanks for input. If I ever figured this out, it would be wonderful. Candida, mercury in their teeth, hormonal imbalance, inbalanced fatty acids, these are all possibilities. I have visited numerous skin/message boards
also. Some swear by low carb....but my sons with the worst skin are built sort of tall/thin. I don't know if they could do low
carb. I just try to cook balanced, schwarzbein style meals.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 15:54
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Try no dairy...some of the worst cases of acne are food allergies and for some people giving up dairy has really helped...myself included....it was giving me SEVERE acne...now my skin is MUCH better...would be completely clear if i could give up my coffee and other bad eating plus smoking which im TRYING To do...but it went from SEVERE SCARING ACNE covering my face...to maybe like 3 tiny pimples a week...ones that u dont even notice
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 12:55

BF:

OK, I do think that you are on to something. My daughter is a cheese fanatic, she won't touch red meat lately, but cheese....
and the others do eat cheese, sour cream, milk, etc. I think I'll try some cheese alternatives and see if they will eat them. Do you eat any dairy alternatives? or do you just eat like meats, fish, veggies, fruits, etc? How do you do it?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 07:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

The thing w dairy is for me i have to eat NONE of it...some people r not as extreme...but the world is tricky...they put DAIRY products ineverything..u have to read labels for things like ceasin (dairy derivative) lactocose etc...i tried to get alternatvies to dairy in form of cheese...but they all have some sort of freaking dairy in it...it makes me so mad...i bought rice cheese...and then i read ingrediants and it had some dairy...r these people stupid? I mean the whole purpose of someone not buying regular cheese is bc we dont want dairy!!! It sucks and its hard...even this vitamin C i used to take had lactose in it!! I couldnt beleive...now i have to read every freaking lable...its annoying...but ohwell....i try to eat as healthy as possible...when i stray a bit i start to break out...it really sucks bc i scar so easy...so i have to be good ALL THE TIME!!! boo hoo
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 10:44

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I'm curious Paulum, what does your blood type thing say about dairy?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 08:32

BF:

Just read here again. The blood type diet by Peter D'adamo and there's a site with a forum and blogs.
www.dadamo.com
Anyway, most of us are type O's except for my husband and one
son who are type b's. Type o's don't do well on either wheat or dairy. We can have some goat cheese, and for some reason, mozzarella is supposed to be ok, but only for occasional use.
We are supposed to be congested by dairy, not able to digest it.
Wheat is supposed to mess with our blood sugar, make us fat,etc. I am not sounding as scientific as the books do, but that's the gist of it. I went off wheat for a month or two, and I lost weight. Now dairy, I don't drink milk, but I do eat cheese
being half italian, ususally mozzarella and parmesan. My kids
are not on the diet, they do eat cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt. But my son who is on accutane knows that ice cream always makes him break out within a day of eating it. A couple of my sons drink whey protein milkshakes, and I told them it might be making them break out also. So we take it day by day as to trying to stay away from dairy. Just started lately after
this thread started to remind me that dairy just can be problematic. Also, most regular dairy has hormones added to
it.....