Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 16:25
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 147/142.5/115
BF:
Progress: 14%
Question I'm not losing weight like I wanted . . .

I'm needing some encouragement. I have done PP before, and every time have caved at about the point I am at now - somewhere around 2 - 3 weeks. I really love the way I feel, I can't deny that! I'm sleeping well, getting up happy, not fatigued during the day . . . I have energy, and basically feel free from the stress of worrying all the time about my eating habits. However, I haven't been counting carbs really, really strictly. I have only lost 2 1/2 pounds, and before lost 5 or 6 by this time. I really want to lose weight! Instead of strictly counting every carb, I am generally changing to eating only veggies, fruit, protein, and cheese/nuts for snacks. I am careful, and do watch the fruit, nuts, and cheese. I had hoped to lose more by now. Can I still lose weight if I take a more relaxed approach? If I am sure that I'd keep losing - even 1/2 pound a week - I think I'd keep fending off temptation better. I am trying to do this in a way I know I can do forever, instead of being so restrictive I just can't handle it. Does that make sense? Send feedback! I do like this WOL, and want to stick to it. However, I am aware of my history and my repeated failures about this time and want to prepare to FIGHT!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 17:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
However, I am aware of my history and my repeated failures about this time and want to prepare to FIGHT!

Good! Now we can talk woman to woman.

I don't think anyone ever loses weight "the way they want to" because our expectations go beyond what our bodies and minds are capable of. There is also the "golden opportunity" of the first time low-carber. I don't know why, but every time you go off and on low carb or off and on any plan, the fat disappears more slowly. And you've already got the low-down on percentages, not pounds.

Then there's that dialogue that goes on in our heads: If I lose this weight I'll be_______ . (Fill in the blank) Usually it's something like happier, more attractive, worthy of love, etc., etc.

Drop the dialogue and step back for a moment. How exactly will being less fat do this? Besides 10 billion other negative consequences - like losing weight and those things not coming true - how will it make you any different than you are now?

So, besides your mind and body working in synch, which they will if you relax and let them, there's the actual diet to look at.

Quote:
I am careful, and do watch the fruit, nuts, and cheese.

How carefully? Are you having a whole apple instead of the correct serving size? High fat dairy products? How many ounces of nuts, and what types? Any cheating at all? Alcohol? Bars?

Quote:
Can I still lose weight if I take a more relaxed approach?

Maybe yes, maybe no. You don't know if you don't try.
Quote:
If I am sure that I'd keep losing - even 1/2 pound a week - I think I'd keep fending off temptation better. I am trying to do this in a way I know I can do forever, instead of being so restrictive I just can't handle it.

You can do forever when you reach your goal. To get there, it might have to take doing what you percieve as being restrictive. If you want something really badly, you find a way. There are no barriers between you and what you want unless you put them there. If you're willing to do this for a lifetime, just start doing it.

Throw away the scale, don't obsess and pretend that this is it!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 18:25
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks, Karen

I just had a victory. I did NOT want protein! I wanted noodles with butter or Nachos or a big baked potato . . . or maybe just to snack from whatever sounded good in the pantry and forget the whole thing. But I didn't. I pulled out some meat and cooked it, even though everyone else was snacking. One day at a time . . . when I win a battle like that I am telling myself I am serious about this and want to succeed . . .

I do need to count more carefully. I did the first week, and slacked off this weekend especially. I love fruit, and hate having it restricted. But you are right - I can eat half the apple instead of the whole. If I am in control, I can make any decision! And that is the thing about eating plenty of protein - it allows me to be more in control. I went out last night for some sugar free ice cream, and felt so sick afterwards! Silly me, I forgot I have to count the carbs in the milk! So, apparently I am doing something right if my body yells at me for too many carbs. I will restrict myself again this week and see better results, I'm sure.

I'm not sure about throwing away the scale, though . . . did you? I mean, it does help me to know I'm on the right track, and I think if I totally got away from that goal that I would fall on my face more quickly. Although, I'm starting to think my body is going to hold onto these pounds a lot harder than I thought it would.

Please write back. I really appreciate the support. I've never been one to "join a group", but this internet support is awesome.
I have that nagging voice inside that is telling me I'm going to blow it because I always do at this point . . . and . . . I want to believe this time is different.

Oh - one more question - do you know anything about permission to have a totally carb meal or carb day without it messing things up? It seems like I've heard of that, but didn't understand what it meant. Something about lots of carbs at one sitting intermittently don't do to us what constant carbing does? Help me with that one if you can.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 22:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Every victory is well won! Congratulations!

Quote:
I'm not sure about throwing away the scale, though . . . did you?

No, but I weigh myself whenever I feel like it and that's usually once every 6 weeks. I don't obsess over it. My primary motivation is to feel good and be healthy. I know what I can eat to acheive that and I know what I can't eat.

Quote:
I went out last night for some sugar free ice cream, and felt so sick afterwards!

Unless it was sweetened with an artificial sweetener, it was probably sweetened with fructose. Fructose is worse than sugar.

I have that nagging voice inside that is telling me I'm going to blow it because I always do at this point . . . and . . . I want to believe this time is different.

One day at a time . . . when I win a battle like that I am telling myself I am serious about this and want to succeed . . .

So what is it you want to do? Do you want to make good choices or do you want to be self-indulgent?

Oh - one more question - do you know anything about permission to have a totally carb meal or carb day without it messing things up?

You have permission to anything you want to do. But, you can't complain about the consequences. The bottom line is if you're not following the plan properly and making the right choices, you're not going to get the results you want.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 08:41
Registered Member

BF:
Default What a Beautiful Morning!

You were right about the scale . . . I got discouraged because I had weighed on Friday and wasn't happy with what I saw. But if I had just waited until today, I would have been so pleased! I have actually lost 4 1/2 pounds! The lesson is, like you said, to do what I know is right to do and be pleased about it, day in and day out, and not let the scale derail what I'm doing for my whole person. I have confirmation, though, that I am still on track and that encourages me tremendously. I will not get on that thing but once a week, and during that TOM, not at all!!!!

Thanks for writing me. It was a tough weekend, but I am changing, and my perspective gets better every day.