Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 19:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257.5/257.5/105 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default 0 carbs

Is anything wrong with consuming 0 carbs? I'm in the induction phase of Atkins.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 20:03

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Well if you eat 0 carbohydrate you aren't following atkins. Even in the begining phase of the original atkins publications people are allowed to eat eggs, which are not 0 carbohydrate.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 20:20

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20
Progress: 44%

There is nothing wrong with eating zero carbs.

But that's not Atkin's induction or any other phase. On induction, you are supposed to eat 1-2 cups of veg/salad, which, of course, has some carbs.

Getting to zero carbs is really pretty difficult, since carbs are hiding everywhere (like the kidnappers my mother-in-law is constantly warning us about). Eggs, cheese, half n half, Splenda packets, lunch meats, sausage all have some carbs.

If you are truly doing Atkins, be sure to eat your veggies.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 21:49
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
Well if you eat 0 carbohydrate you aren't following atkins. Even in the begining phase of the original atkins publications people are allowed to eat eggs, which are not 0 carbohydrate.

I understand that up to 20g of carbs are allowed, but is that amount a requirement? Hence my question about 0 carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 21:51
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessnut
If you are truly doing Atkins, be sure to eat your veggies.

Maybe the absence of veggies is what's messing me up. I think I've only lost 1 lb in 2 weeks. Not arguing with you ... it's just that I didn't get the impression from the Atkins book that veggies were a requirement. Only that they're permitted. ??
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 06:37

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Post a typical days menu.

Are you entering all this into a nutritional program like fitday or MyP.L.A.N? What do your percentages look like?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 07:18
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by che
Maybe the absence of veggies is what's messing me up. I think I've only lost 1 lb in 2 weeks. Not arguing with you ... it's just that I didn't get the impression from the Atkins book that veggies were a requirement. Only that they're permitted. ??

You make a good point here. It's like with the dairy allotment, the plan says something along the lines of, "...up to x amount..." etc. Of course, I always went way over that. I went under on some things, and over on others.

Meanwhile, I just wanted to say that I 'get' what you're saying. Not everything appears to be a 'requirement'.

Thing is - I'd always suggest starting up a new plan pretty much as written, and sticking to it for awhile. Wish I'd done that in the first place. I'm assuming the authors of such plans have had very good success rates with the plan as written, and that there's good reason for the various allotments of food items.

After spinning my wheels several times on Atkins, I finally decided to take a really good look at the Rules of Induction and make sure I was following every single one of them. Well, lo and behold - the thing works.

And here I was thinking, "Atkins doesn't work for me..." It wasn't the plan, it was me.

Why not learn the plan, and get really good at it? Master it.

Meanwwhile, I don't think there's anything wrong with 0 carbs or 'close to zero' - just that I wouldn't recommend this as a starting point. Try a published plan first, and get good at it. Give it several weeks, and check in with the book once in awhile to see how well you're following it.

Is there a reason for the 0-carb attempt in induction? Are you thinking, "Well, I can do this plan better?" or is it certain foods on the induction phase that you don't like? Too much fuss and hassle? Or do you think that perhaps 0-carb might mean faster weight loss?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 07:22

Plan: LC re-start
Stats: 139/139/120 Female 166cm
BF:

Unless you are purely eating non processed meat I don't see how you can be zero carbs?

I don't think Dr Atkins mentions anything about zero carbs during induction or anywhere in the book (but I may be wrong!?) Induction is up to 20g carbs per day, including one cup salad and veggies.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 07:37
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

hold on, hold on....
in his 1973 book which was his first, he DID mention 0 carb because he only allowed 1 cup of lettuce/salad or 3 olives or 2 pickles as the vegetable a day which he said would be less than 5 carbs.. he was shooting for 0 carb.. and i do believe that the term "zero carb" was in his first book when he mentioned insulin resistant people who could not lose no matter what...

check the book, i think i'm right.

if you don't want to eat vegetables, you don't have to.
there are many, many, many of us that don't bother with vegetables because the body doesn't need them.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 07:50

Plan: LC re-start
Stats: 139/139/120 Female 166cm
BF:

Doesn't lettuce, olives and pickles all have carbs? Or was it just a term to infer 'very low carbs'?

I have the newer version so can't check the book, so I apologise if I was wrong.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 08:05

Plan: Under 50 grams
Stats: 190.2/181.0/147 Female 5'4.5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

In the 72 version he does mention the small amount of carbs in the veg's as being almost like no carbs have been eaten. He also says that after the first week you should start moving up the carb levels...it does seem that many people do not follow the 72 version to the letter though and there are definitely different LC plans available if it doesn't suit you. Ultimately if you are following a plan...you should try to follow the plan or find another one that you prefer...We are all individuals, and what works for one may not work or be to the liking of another.

It must be expected that if you are on a plan and do not follow it, you may not get the results that the plan says you will achieve, equally it is also difficult to follow a plan to the letter and not achieve what it says you will achieve. For some LC means under 20 grams net carbs others total carbs and still some work on VLC.

Citrus states it well, pick a plan, follow it, see how it works for you, then you can make an informed decision. It has been a real long learning curve for me, with a few brick walls that were in the way, relearning to eat is a challenge but a very rewarding thing.

I wish you success in your journey
Scotiagirl
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 10:30
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Thing is - I'd always suggest starting up a new plan pretty much as written, and sticking to it for awhile.

published plan first, and get good at it. Give it several weeks, and check in with the book once in awhile to see how well you're following it.

Or do you think that perhaps 0-carb might mean faster weight loss?

I think 0 carbs more guarantees weight loss rather than makes it faster.

I've been following the Atkins plan as it is in the book. I only eat foods in the allowed list. It talks about allowed amounts and allowed foods, but doesn't say that a certain amount of carbs are a requirement. I haven't seen anywhere that it says carbs are a requirement at all. So, I don't understand why ppl feel that I'm not following Atkins. Where in the book did they read that carbs are required?

The only thing I haven't been following in induction is the 8 8 oz glasses of water. I've been drinking a lot of water -- certainly more than I'm used to -- but I don't think I've reached the required amount yet. I suppose that's what's keeping me from losing weight?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 10:32
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilozzi
Unless you are purely eating non processed meat I don't see how you can be zero carbs?

Induction is up to 20g carbs per day, including one cup salad and veggies.

That's what I've been eating. Non-processed meat and fish.
"Up to" indicates one has a choice, and in the context Atkins mentions it, indicates that it's allowed. Doesn't say it's a requirement.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 10:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaGirl
it is also difficult to follow a plan to the letter and not achieve what it says you will achieve.

I've been following it almost to the letter (that is, to the letter except for the water consumption, and I highly doubt that that's what's keeping me from losing because I was on Atkins a few years ago successfully and didn't consume so much water). I don't have the '72 book. I have the improved one. Well, I have lost a pound. But, is that success?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 10:41
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
and i do believe that the term "zero carb" was in his first book when he mentioned insulin resistant people who could not lose no matter what...

I seem to be highly resistant, that's why I'm aiming for 0 carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
there are many, many, many of us that don't bother with vegetables because the body doesn't need them.

How interesting!