Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 07:10
Registered Member

Plan: Deciding!!
Stats: 171/165/143 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Power Plate

Hi

I searched for Power plate, but I got thousand posts but none on the actual machine. So, does anyone use it? I have done 13 sessions and honestly, I can tell the difference. I haven’t lost an ounce, but my body feels toner, and I also seem to stand up straight (not sure why), if anyone has used it, what were your experiences with it? I ask as I am not sure whether to increase with the course (it is not cheap after all), as I wonder whether it will improve even more or not (my body that is!). I get the impression that it can tone you up only so far.. When I first used it I was in pain, but now find that I can do the exercises quite easily (I always do them with a trainer, I imagine doing them alone might not be so good)..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 01:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/148.6/130 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hey there! I haven't done Power Plates, but my 2 friends have. They did it for about 4 months before the gym stopped offering it. My friend Kerry looked amazing after it all. I'm not sure how it works, but I know it made a difference. If you feel good doing it and see a difference I say go for it!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 08:49
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Maki

Thanks for your reply! I have just come back from half hour power plate session, it really does seem to work. I do pilates style exercies (I think, I have never done pilates), and the machine vibrates and contracts your muscles 35/50 (depending on setting) a second.. There are some trainers that say it is no good and does not work, and some trainers that think it is great and use it themselves. So far I am very happy, my stomach area is hard (well, underneath tha fat...). anyway, so far so good!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 04:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/148.6/130 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 15%

Well, I say keep it up then! It's so hard to be motivated for the gym sometimes, so if you find something you really like don't give up!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 00:27

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Is this the thing that you can set for x hertz at x seconds? (My new gym has one.. tried it for a minute w/deep knee bends and it seemed to help untighten an ache.) If this is the thing, how long are you supposed to use it for? The platform on this one is too small to do anything but stand up on and do some random stuff... curious about what exercises you've found most useful on it?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-08, 06:04
Registered Member

BF:

Hi!

The power plate I use is quite big, I would say about 1 metre by 1 metre (sorry, not sure what it is in feet)
I think this is the one I use:
http://us.powerplate.com/EN/product...rcial/pro5.aspx
There is a whole lot of exercises you can do on it, I found the ones that are sit up like (they call them ginache here in Switzerland..) are the best, my sides have really firmed up. Also there are some good leg exercises..
I do 35hz for 1 minute (with the massages on 50hz for 1 minute), but some trainers do 40hz for 45 seconds. The 1 minute is harder than 45 seconds, the extra 15 seconds can be torture.
I also can't stress this enough.. I use a trainer at the gym and would not start using it without one (I have had about 20 sessions so far, and now I may do it on my own, but the trainer is good for making sure you do the exercises properly..), the machine does not discriminate on which muscles it vibrates, and above all, always keep your joints bent!! If not.. it is a lovely sensation whith your legs straight and you can feel your brain bouncing in your head... Also make sure you get a trainer that knows what they are doing.
I am not trying to put you off, just be aware that the machine is very powerful. They say you should not do more than 15/20 exercises per session, and honestly, that is all you need.. The massages are the best, my cellulite has gone thanks to them..

Hope this helps