Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 147/142.5/115
BF:
Progress: 14%
Question This so doesn't feel right!

I have the problem of having done some hunger/fullness plans before this, where the only issue, according to them, is that we eat too much. Well, I agree that has been a problem for me. But I also believe my sugar highs and lows make it very difficult for me to know if I am feeding my body or just trying to raise my blood sugar. I know other people who have done this successfully, but low carb does work better for me because it is more concrete. However, I struggle every time with "feeling" wrong! I feel so full after eating all that protein, and knowing I am eating fat and not grains is weird psychologically when I was raised low fat, high grain, eating too little, etc. I need help thinking right when I feel wrong and believing this is the right way to go when my body seems to say otherwise! Also, last week was my first full week. I only lost 2 pounds. Is that okay? I mean, I'm glad I lost it, but when I've done it before I've lost much more on that first week on intervention. But, then again, my period is due this week and I'm wondering if that is affecting the scale. Any input is so appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 10:12
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: This so doesn't feel right!

Quote:
Originally posted by b. sparky
I need help thinking right when I feel wrong and believing this is the right way to go when my body seems to say otherwise!

Hi B. Sparky:

I know exactly what you are talking about. I was a vegetarian for 17 years, then followed a fat-free diet for 5 years. It's very hard turning all your beliefs upside down overnight. It takes time.

Before making any comments, I'd like to know how your body is telling you that this is wrong? Is it because you feel so full? If so, embrace it. It's the first time in your life that you will have control of eating. We aren't made to feel hungry all the time. Look at other signs. Are you less bloated, not craving sweets, more energetic? Listen to these kinds of empirical evidence that eating this way is right, rather than the brainwashing that you have been subjected to for years.

It's hard to give advice without seeing what you eat, but if you have troubles with the "fat" issue, start out using olive or coconut oils instead of butter. Personally, I find butter and egg based sauces very filling compared to oils. In my case it's good because I need to feel full.

Check out the Media thread on LC studies. There's all kinds of interesting information for you. Also check out my favorite internet site www.westonaprice.org. There is wonderful information about fats there: Know Your Fats

As for the weight issue, don't sweat it as long as you are eating the right foods. This TOM is also notoriously unreliable. Don't look at the scale for now! I'd focus first on becoming comfortable with your WOE because you are feeling some reservations. Take this one step at a time. Change in thinking doesn't happen overnight so don't overstress yourself with too many expectations. Otherwise you are doomed for failure.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Cool

Hey, Sparky....

This WOE isn't just for weight loss. It will improve your health. Did you read The Protein Power LifePlan or Protein Power? Read the section on "leaky gut syndrome" to see what grains can do to your health.

If you eat foods that are high in protein, you really don't need to eat that much volume. Especially, if you eat 6 times a day instead of 3. Spread the food out over the day. Your weight will take care of itself.

And I always gain 3-5 lbs just prior to TOM so I wouldn't worry about that either.

Hang in there, you won't be sorry. I still have a lot to lose, but I feel so much better since starting this WOE and now it's my WOL...way of life.

Paris
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 00:54

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

It will help to rephrase that...instead of "I only lost 2 pounds" you should say "Wow! I lost TWO POUNDS!!!". You are not all that overweight and 2 pounds is excellent...especially when you consider how comfortable you were eating this way. Wow...you lost two pounds while eating a lot of good food and not feeling hungry at all...in fact feeling full! That's GREAT!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 08:50
Registered Member

BF:
Default I had a weird experience . . .

Thanks, everyone, so much for your input! It is so nice to be supported when a little voice in my head keeps saying "This can't be right!" Even though I have read PP books and know the scientific reasons why it is right, I still have to perservere through a lifetime of opposite thinking about food.

I have been sticking to the plan and feeling better every day. Last night, though, I ate some gyro meat with veggies and salad. I thought it was very similar to the way I have been eating, and I counted the grams of carb in the gyro meat but whoa! I got a sugar buzz almost right away and felt sick! I wish I knew what happened . . . I felt like I had eaten chocolate or something. It was this frozen processed stuff that my husband had picked up. It was discouraging when I thought I was fixing the right kind of meal . . . can anybody relate? Could it be certain kinds of carbs can "send" me?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 09:03
Mad Scientist

BF:

Did you check the ingredients on the package? Processed food manufacturers are really fond of adding sweeteners and chemicals to their food. Why don't you post the ingredients so we can see what was in it?

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Tue, Feb-11-03 at 09:04.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 09:23
Registered Member

BF:
Default Ingredients to those gyros . . .

Okay, Wanda . . . Here they are . . .

Beef, water, lamb, vegetable protein (soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, soy flour), bread crumbs (flour, water, salt, yeast (may also contain vegetable shortening, soybean and/or cottonseed oil, ammounium chloride, calcium propionate)), onions, cornstarch, salt, monosodium glutamate, dehydrated onion and garlic, spices.

Oh! I just saw the MSG! Maybe that was the culprit . . .
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 14:47
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'd suspect the breadcrumbs and cornstarch, too, especially considering your other post that says you started craving sugar right after eating this!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 18:08
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
I still have to perservere through a lifetime of opposite thinking about food.

Just remember you are do different than most of us. I remember when I first heard about LCing, I was outraged that anyone would think this WOE was healthy. Of course, I didn't stop to think why I was outraged. Perhaps it threatened my sugar addiction?

Like RGale says, the bread crumbs and cornstarch are probably the culprits. Those ingredients would cause a sugar buzz in me too. It's just that after starting to LC you actually notice it. I'd stay away from the processed food as much as possible unless you get used to picking apart the ingredients. It's not just the quantity of carbs that count, but the quality is also important to consider.

You'll get used to this. That's what we're all here for.