Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 05:18

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'll have to ask my brother in law whether he'd rather have another quadruple bypass or run a marathon. Which he thinks would be easy to recover from.

Quote:
They found that most runners had levels of creatine (a chemical produced by muscles at work) and inflammatory proteins present in levels similar to patients with acute kidney injury.

Looking at creatine as a marker of kidney damage in the context of exercise is questionable. With a heart attack, oxygen deficit forces the heart to turn to non-oxidative sources of energy--this leans hard on creatine phosphate for quick short term salvage of atp levels, thus there's an increase in blood creatine. There's the heart muscle trying not to die, and then there's skeletal muscle doing what's needed to sustain a certain effort.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 07:06
Registered Member

Plan: my own designed
Stats: 276/267/200 Male 5.4
BF:
Progress:

Balance is the key...doing too little and you don't get results..doing too much and you invite problems
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 08:58

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by raun01
Balance is the key...doing too little and you don't get results..doing too much and you invite problems

Like.
I didn't know until a college course taught by a exercise physiologist who trained elite athletes that exercise over-training was even an issue. All the rest of us ever heard about was the usual big organizations harping on getting out and doing more, more, more fitness, but this message was really meant for the large audience of typically sedentary people who would benefit from just doing something more, not athletes already doing so much that sports injuries were a big issue and for whom more was...risky. I'm glad to have received this heads-up about the risks earlier on because nowadays as an older person I do need to be more cautious to strike that balance between enough and too much to where an injury might sideline me from being able to continue doing the enough.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 09:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Okay, but don't use scary articles about marathoning as an excuse for NOT EXERCISING.

(Reformed Runner)

No one here has that I can see. But at least we can stop beating ourselves up for not being runners. I've hated running since puberty. It never felt good to me.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-17, 07:28

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
It never felt good to me.
Yeah--it was pretty much a stretch for me, too. I'm not built for it. These days I watch the skinny/wiry/mostly young people running with gazelle-like grace and think, "I'm glad I gave that up!" I was NEVER a gazelle.

P.S. When I spot a large person trying to jog off the weight, I want to say, "Stop! It won't work and you'll ruin your knees."
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-17, 09:46
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Imma not a runner (bad knee since age 12) but I can burn up the miles walkin' or bikin' w/o any problem whatsoever!

On a lighter note:

If Imma running, you'd better run too b/c something is chasing me!!