Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#466   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-17, 12:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkor
Not necessarily asking about you specifically, but your comment reminds me of something I've wondered about for a while. I see this _type_ of thing quite a bit, whether it's for keto or paleo or even "regular" diets ... people get sick and have trouble sticking to the plan.

Do you think it's habits from childhood, like milkshakes after getting tonsils out? The culture we have around "comfort food" like mac & cheese and casseroles and mashed potatoes, etc?

I figure it also might be related to the convenience factor of off-plan foods, like when someone is laid low by illness, it's a lot easier to make something from a box.

While all of that is true, mine was physiological: I had a terrible endocrine problem and I think it kept the system from coming online.
Sponsored Links
  #467   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 05:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

My favorite interviewer, Robb Wolf, has Dr Fung and Jimmy Moore talk about fasting. A one hour podcast on iTunes, etc.
http://robbwolf.com/2017/01/31/epis...ide-to-fasting/
  #468   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 12:57

Plan: Atkins '72 version'
Stats: 264/232.2/150 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 28%

I have read both of the threads involving Dr Fung and IF. I have found a lot of info by doing so , so thanks for all of those that have posted.
I have been doing IF 24 with one meal a day. I have given up all diet sodas and splenda or any kind of sweetener. I have the bullet proof coffee in the morning and that keeps me going all day. The problem I am having is I can only eat a small meal at dinner due to no appetite. I try and add fat to my meal by means of butter and CO. I would say my meal at dinner time is about 500 to 600. I didn't lose anything this morning but I guess I shouldn't weigh everyday. My protein at dinner is around 28 grams, carbs 8, and fat 66 or so. I have read Dr. Fungs book but it really didn't give direct plan or how much protein. Is it to little or am I just doing it all wrong?
  #469   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 13:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

If you experience that much of a drop in appetite, maybe you don't need to do a 24 hour fast every day, if you're concerned about protein. Protein a bit low every other day wouldn't be that big a deal, chronically low protein every day can add up over time . A rule of thumb I've heard, I think it was in a Dr. Fung interview, is to have as many sort of fully-fed days as down days--you could do 2 or 3 meals one day, just the one the next, back and forth, or 2 or 3 days of what you've described, 2 or three days with more meals, and back again. I don't think you necessarily have to "make up" the lost protein intentionally, intermittent fasting studies have people's natural appetites taking care of that, and generally lean mass is preserved.

On the other hand, appetite might just be a bit extra low, in my experience with one meal a day eating, my appetite did pick up over the course of time with just the one meal.
  #470   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 14:05

BF:

Protein seems to up my bg and if I have over 30 grams of protein a day that runs my fasting bg up in the mornings. I started the LCHF to reduce my metformin." Plus lose weight. I just can't believe I'm that sensitive to protein so I started the IF to reduce my total BG and it has worked. The second I have a big protein meal it goes up. So I guess I will just have to try every other day or so of IF with high fat low protein and see if that changes things for me.
  #471   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 14:25

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindman6
Protein seems to up my bg and if I have over 30 grams of protein a day that runs my fasting bg up in the mornings.

If you're diabetic, protein does have to be limited, but you might be getting too little. A good calculator for protein is at http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/keto-calculator/.

I cap my protein at 55g, split between breakfast & lunch. I rarely eat later than 3pm, & when I do it's usually a light snack. I found out that if I fast in the morning & eat late in the day, my bg increases. When I turned it around my bg started improving.
  #472   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 14:36

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I read this article. It is really astounding how People Magazine got it completely wrong about how she lost the weight.
Jean
Oh I'm sure they didn't "get it" wrong. They deliberately changed it because her actual weight loss method did not fit their paradigm of how it should be done.

I saw that in action 20 years ago. Back then I was very involved in the alt.support.diet.lowcarb usenet group (familiarly known as ASDLC). One of our members lost a bunch of weight. Somehow she came to the attention of one of the major US Women's magazines, and she got invited to an all-expenses-paid long weekend in NYC with a magazine interview and a full makeover. We were all so excited for her.

Well eventually the magazine article came out, and the before-and-after photos were amazing, especially after her incredible NYC makeover - hair, clothes, makeup, etc. And the magazine had a long interview with her - **EXCEPT** that every single time she talked about "low carb" the editors changed it to "low fat" in the printed version.

I no longer really trust any of those weight loss articles I read in mainstream pubs, such as the People one.
  #473   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 15:26

BF:

Thanks Bonnie OFS for that link. I will try 40 grams of protein broken up between lunch and dinner and see what that does to my BG.
  #474   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-17, 11:31

The Fasting Talk podcast #5 features Dr Fung responding to Dr Steve Phinney's criticisms of fasting, specifically addressing the breakdown of protein while fasting.
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...e-phinney/27380

I really disliked this attack on Dr Phinney. It is not mentioned if they invited him for a discussion, rather than a rude one-sided response to his position on fasting. I don't disagree with Dr Fung's view on the studies but his weak apology at the end didn't make up for an hour of another full-blown nutrition war.
  #475   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-17, 12:04

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Yeah, that's how I took it, too. I think Dr. Fung has a hold of a good part of the answer--but any type of fasting does produce some loss of protein, body fat does protect against this some, and refeeding and exercise takes care of much of the rest. There is a reasonable argument to be made with Dr. Phinney, I think, but I don't think "you just don't know what you're talking about" is it. Dr. Phinney called Dr. Fung out on some gross oversimplifications, this is the simple truth.
  #476   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 14:35

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Looks like https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/ has been rate limited or throttled by the ISP were it's hosted. I wonder if there's some big news or if DR. Fung has made an appearance somewhere and they are getting a flood of traffic.
  #477   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 16:45

Upgrading per Twitter: ~ketorick ~IDMProgram Thanks. We were upgrading it yesterday.
  #478   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 22:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I really disliked this attack on Dr Phinney. It is not mentioned if they invited him for a discussion, rather than a rude one-sided response to his position on fasting. I don't disagree with Dr Fung's view on the studies but his weak apology at the end didn't make up for an hour of another full-blown nutrition war.

I've gotten to the point where I don't care how much press or success Jason Fung has had over the past 3 years. Yes, he's helped many people with his fasting protocol. However, Steve Phinney is a good man and has helped many as well. To hear Fung outline his differences with Phinney using vitriole and attacking the man is becoming tiresome. The negative comments and put downs Fung tends to use when criticizing those who he doesn't agree with lack tact and diplomacy. Maybe some call it blunt, I call it rude, graceless, and pointless to use that approach, as it serves to weaken his argument in the process. There is a way to disagree with someone without using disrespect. Somehow, Fung hasn't found the way.
  #479   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 11:20

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I agree, Rob. I cringe when Fung attacks people who in the grand scheme are his predecessors and allies. Phinney has been at this a long time and I have no doubt Fung has owes part of his understanding of LC to him. Though he may have differences now, they are small compared to someone like Ornish.

Last edited by Liz53 : Fri, Feb-10-17 at 13:44.
  #480   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 18:51

Plan: Bernsteinish
Stats: 314/231/199 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 72%

Having listened to both what they're responding to and their response, I didn't think that their reaction was particularly harsh. Phinney is LITERALLY using the same reasoning and tactics that carb advocates have used against him.

And the Fung response is pretty much the same counterargument - "Well, we've actually done this, a lot, and our practical experience does not match what you say will happen"

Which should sound familiar. And Phinney flat out ADMITS he has a bias against fasting because liquid protein diet deaths set his research back decades.

Confirmation bias is a heck of a drug. This applies in both directions.