Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#511   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 08:29

Plan: ~25NC/IF
Stats: 342.2/188.2/000 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

interesting Janet, you might find this interesting too for compares in my semi-private journal
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...85&page=8&pp=15 starting around post #111
Sponsored Links
  #512   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 10:26

Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I find that around late day 2 to day 3, I'm completely hunger free. From there, it's pretty easy. How do you find your sleep? I seem to require less sleep during a fast (of course, it's an intermittent fast!) and have more energy. Any nagging minor health things seem to clear up as well. Anyone else have the same experience?
  #513   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 11:15
To Good Health!

Plan: IF Fung/LC Westman/Primal
Stats: 220/170/165 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/25.3%/24%
Progress: 91%

Definitely less sleep. I feel revved up, even when I know I should be tired, past my bedtime, my brain is pinging around. Perfectly fine, more energy than usual, during the day but two nights of that was enough, so I took one benedryl and when awake after three hours for the obvious reason after all that hydration, took a low dose of melatonin 1/2 mg. Slept 10 hours last night, definitely doing that again tonight.
My knees are finally better! After months of dithering around with little exercise and off-plan food and drink, IF and then cheating, the doctor depressing me that a trauma event can set off arthritis even though I had none previously, blah, blah...just fasting and zero off-plan foods has allowed them to heal. Long hilly (for NC) walks, up and down stairs without needing to hang onto handrail, no pain at all.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-21-17 at 12:08.
  #514   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 12:12

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/200/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
.. My knees are finally better! After months of dithering around with little exercise and off-plan food and drink, IF and then cheating, the doctor depressing me that a trauma event can set off arthritis even though I had none previously, blah, blah...just fasting and zero off-plan foods has allowed them to heal. Long hilly (for NC) walks, up and down stairs without needing to hang onto handrail, no pain at all.

Good news, Janet!!! I know that this has put a damper in your lifestyle for quite some time. Let's hope it stays that way and that your doctor's arthritis talk is just that... talk.
  #515   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 13:20

Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good advice, I'll get some melatonin for those occasions when I'm revved up later at night.

Just had lunch with a friend who asked me about cutting out wheat, as he had tried it for short durations due to some arthritis symptoms and it worked quite well. Once he went back to wheat foods, it flared up again. His wife had read "Wheat Belly," and so did he at her recommendation. I indicated that all the joint pain in my hands had dissipated shortly after I cut out wheat completely. My only other comment was, "Well, what are you waiting for?"
  #516   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 05:25
To Good Health!

Plan: IF Fung/LC Westman/Primal
Stats: 220/170/165 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/25.3%/24%
Progress: 91%

Two tips from FastingTalk. To eat with your family, put broth in a nice soup bowl, sprinkle some parsley/herbs on top, eat with a spoon and enjoy a meal that seems "normal" to others at the table.
And "Feast when you Feast". DD learned she was hired for a new job, so last night we had a large steak with a creamy mushroom sauce she makes, veggies, salad. A veritable feast, and I have had zero digestive or any other issues from having that meal.
Megan Ramos has many little tips throughout the podcast from her own journey and years of being the patient educator at Dr Fung's clinic, it is worth a listen. Hydration is maybe more important than with just LC, she and her husband drink some water every hour and Carbonated water is filling. I like the sparkling water with essence flavors in them, Costco has them in half liters so can easily carry some with you everywhere. This week, towards the end of the podcast, she mentioned an IDM version of the 5:2 diet.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-23-17 at 08:45.
  #517   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 05:37

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/122/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Two tips from FastingTalk. To eat with your family, put broth in a nice soup bowl, sprinkle some parsley/herbs on top, eat with a spoon and enjoy a meal that seems "normal" to others at the table.
And "Feast when you Feast". DD learned she was hired for a new job, so last night we had a large steak with a creamy mushroom sauce she makes, veggies, salad. A veritable feast, and I have had zero digestive or any other issues from having that meal.
Megan Ramos has many little tips throughout the podcast from her own journey and years of being the patient educator at Dr Fung's clinic, it is worth a listen. Hydration is maybe more important than just LC, she and her husband drink some water every hour and Carbonated water is filling. I like the sparkling water with essence flavors in them, Costco has them in half liters so can easily carry some with you everywhere.

I have been trying to listen to fast talk. There does seem to be a lot of good information but I find it difficult to listen to the back and forth conversation. Maybe I should just listen in bite size pieces, so to speak.

Jean
  #518   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 05:48

Plan: ketosis/IF
Stats: 190/158/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

This is very much true for me, a good feed, as long as it's reasonably ketogenic, makes it easier to fast the next day. I've been doing every other day fasting for a bit--just cream in my coffee one day, almost two day's food the next, and I'm enjoying it. Maybe the ascetics were frauds, both feasting and fasting can be quite enjoyable.
  #519   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 05:53

Plan: ketosis/IF
Stats: 190/158/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

For podcasts that don't demand my full attention (I'm pretty easily sidetracked...) I'll find a fairly mindless videogame like tetris, I find this intentional distraction keeps my mind from wandering off entirely.
  #520   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 06:07

Plan: Epi-Paleo/IF
Stats: 220/169/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
For podcasts that don't demand my full attention (I'm pretty easily sidetracked...) I'll find a fairly mindless videogame like tetris, I find this intentional distraction keeps my mind from wandering off entirely.

I have a couple of games like that for listening to podcasts. I need to occupy my eyes, apparently I now drive for long periods for work, and podcasts are perfect for such; the driving happens on an entirely different level than the listening.