Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#511   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 08:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

interesting Janet, you might find this interesting too for compares in my semi-private journal
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...85&page=8&pp=15 starting around post #111
Sponsored Links
  #512   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 10:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I find that around late day 2 to day 3, I'm completely hunger free. From there, it's pretty easy. How do you find your sleep? I seem to require less sleep during a fast (of course, it's an intermittent fast!) and have more energy. Any nagging minor health things seem to clear up as well. Anyone else have the same experience?
  #513   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 11:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Definitely less sleep. I feel revved up, even when I know I should be tired, past my bedtime, my brain is pinging around. Perfectly fine, more energy than usual, during the day but two nights of that was enough, so I took one benedryl and when awake after three hours for the obvious reason after all that hydration, took a low dose of melatonin 1/2 mg. Slept 10 hours last night, definitely doing that again tonight.
My knees are finally better! After months of dithering around with little exercise and off-plan food and drink, IF and then cheating, the doctor depressing me that a trauma event can set off arthritis even though I had none previously, blah, blah...just fasting and zero off-plan foods has allowed them to heal. Long hilly (for NC) walks, up and down stairs without needing to hang onto handrail, no pain at all.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-21-17 at 12:08.
  #514   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 12:12
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
.. My knees are finally better! After months of dithering around with little exercise and off-plan food and drink, IF and then cheating, the doctor depressing me that a trauma event can set off arthritis even though I had none previously, blah, blah...just fasting and zero off-plan foods has allowed them to heal. Long hilly (for NC) walks, up and down stairs without needing to hang onto handrail, no pain at all.

Good news, Janet!!! I know that this has put a damper in your lifestyle for quite some time. Let's hope it stays that way and that your doctor's arthritis talk is just that... talk.
  #515   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 13:20

BF:

Good advice, I'll get some melatonin for those occasions when I'm revved up later at night.

Just had lunch with a friend who asked me about cutting out wheat, as he had tried it for short durations due to some arthritis symptoms and it worked quite well. Once he went back to wheat foods, it flared up again. His wife had read "Wheat Belly," and so did he at her recommendation. I indicated that all the joint pain in my hands had dissipated shortly after I cut out wheat completely. My only other comment was, "Well, what are you waiting for?"
  #516   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 05:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Two tips from FastingTalk. To eat with your family, put broth in a nice soup bowl, sprinkle some parsley/herbs on top, eat with a spoon and enjoy a meal that seems "normal" to others at the table.
And "Feast when you Feast". DD learned she was hired for a new job, so last night we had a large steak with a creamy mushroom sauce she makes, veggies, salad. A veritable feast, and I have had zero digestive or any other issues from having that meal.
Megan Ramos has many little tips throughout the podcast from her own journey and years of being the patient educator at Dr Fung's clinic, it is worth a listen. Hydration is maybe more important than with just LC, she and her husband drink some water every hour and Carbonated water is filling. I like the sparkling water with essence flavors in them, Costco has them in half liters so can easily carry some with you everywhere. This week, towards the end of the podcast, she mentioned an IDM version of the 5:2 diet.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-23-17 at 08:45.
  #517   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 05:37

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Two tips from FastingTalk. To eat with your family, put broth in a nice soup bowl, sprinkle some parsley/herbs on top, eat with a spoon and enjoy a meal that seems "normal" to others at the table.
And "Feast when you Feast". DD learned she was hired for a new job, so last night we had a large steak with a creamy mushroom sauce she makes, veggies, salad. A veritable feast, and I have had zero digestive or any other issues from having that meal.
Megan Ramos has many little tips throughout the podcast from her own journey and years of being the patient educator at Dr Fung's clinic, it is worth a listen. Hydration is maybe more important than just LC, she and her husband drink some water every hour and Carbonated water is filling. I like the sparkling water with essence flavors in them, Costco has them in half liters so can easily carry some with you everywhere.

I have been trying to listen to fast talk. There does seem to be a lot of good information but I find it difficult to listen to the back and forth conversation. Maybe I should just listen in bite size pieces, so to speak.

Jean
  #518   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 05:48

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This is very much true for me, a good feed, as long as it's reasonably ketogenic, makes it easier to fast the next day. I've been doing every other day fasting for a bit--just cream in my coffee one day, almost two day's food the next, and I'm enjoying it. Maybe the ascetics were frauds, both feasting and fasting can be quite enjoyable.
  #519   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 05:53

BF:

For podcasts that don't demand my full attention (I'm pretty easily sidetracked...) I'll find a fairly mindless videogame like tetris, I find this intentional distraction keeps my mind from wandering off entirely.
  #520   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 06:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
For podcasts that don't demand my full attention (I'm pretty easily sidetracked...) I'll find a fairly mindless videogame like tetris, I find this intentional distraction keeps my mind from wandering off entirely.

I have a couple of games like that for listening to podcasts. I need to occupy my eyes, apparently I now drive for long periods for work, and podcasts are perfect for such; the driving happens on an entirely different level than the listening.
  #521   ^
Old Wed, May-03-17, 06:14

BF:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...70501112633.htm

Quote:
Alternate day fasting regimens have increased in popularity because some patients find it difficult to adhere to a conventional weight-loss diet.

A new article published by JAMA Internal Medicine reports on a randomized clinical trial that compared the effects of alternate-day fasting with daily calorie restriction on weight loss, weight maintenance and indicators of cardiovascular disease risk.

Krista A. Varady, Ph.D., of the University of Illinois at Chicago, and coauthors included 100 obese adults in the single-center trial, which was conducted between October 2011 and January 2015. Patients were assigned to 1 of 3 groups for one year: alternate-day fasting (25 percent of calorie needs on fast days; 125 percent of calorie needs on alternating "feast" days); daily calorie restriction (75 percent of calorie needs every day); or no intervention.

After one year, weight loss in the alternate-day fasting group (6.0 percent) was not significantly different from the daily calorie restriction group (5.3 percent), according to the results.

"The results of this randomized clinical trial demonstrated that alternate-day fasting did not produce superior adherence, weight loss, weight maintenance or improvements in risk indicators for cardiovascular disease compared with daily calorie restriction," the article concludes.

The authors note some study limitations, which included a short maintenance phase of six months.

Expect some "fasting sucks" type write-ups from the Daily Mail, etc., and a rebuttal post from Dr. Fung soon.

Biggest failure in this study from my own experience--the fasting group was supposed to eat 500 calories one day, and above maintenance by 25 percent the next, what happened is that they ate a bit over 500 one day, and then underate the next. Brad Pilon is a big fan with his eatstopeat of putting all of the calorie deficit on the fasting days, this way, if you don't eat one day a week but eat full calories the rest, 86 percent of the time you're sort of not dieting, it makes sense for there to be less of an adaptation the less time you spend in an actual deficit. With IF--I find I can sustain every other day eating quite well, as long as the eating days involve abundant food, but things can derail quickly if I eat low on the eating days--I can get by with the odd low day, especially if it's very ketogenic,, but I can't sustain a full week of every other day eating unless I'm doing what would otherwise be "overeating" without the fasting days.
  #522   ^
Old Wed, May-03-17, 06:27

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

The problem with all these kinds of studies is the over generalization of the findings. This isn't about some generic intermittent fasting but a specific variant of intermittent fasting done in the context of a specific kind of every day eating. The results can't be generalized beyond the type of fasting done in the context of the particular type of eating which this study looked at.

Jean
  #523   ^
Old Wed, May-03-17, 08:59

BF:

Krista Varady has done other fasting studies that were more promising for intermittent fasting. A study with different results from earlier studies doesn't really suggest the earlier findings were wrong, so much as that there was something different about the approach in the new study that didn't work. I'm pretty sure that she's said in the past that when people fast one day, instead of making up for all the calories on the next day, people tend to eat a bit more than their usual intake on the eating days. That differs from this study in that people were given calorie targets on both the up and the down days. Maybe they went this way because the IF was up against calorie restriction, and not just up against people eating to appetite--the overall calorie targets were about the same for the daily calorie restriction and the IF. Even if the results were the same--there could still be advantages to restricting only every other day, dieting only half the time, vs. dieting every day.

There's a mouse study where mice were fed ad-lib, and then other mice were fed 95 percent of what the ad-lib mice ate. The restricted animals wound up fatter than the ad-lib fed mice. I don't think this is because eating less causes weight gain, so much as because the stress of restriction causes weight gain--it's entirely possible that feeding the animals exactly the same calories as the ad-lib mice would have been just as stressful, and made them just as fat. The same person might eat 2000 calories, and be sated--or eat it and be stressed that that's all there is. .
  #524   ^
Old Wed, May-03-17, 09:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
The results can't be generalized beyond the type of fasting done in the context of the particular type of eating which this study looked at.

Jean

Exactly. I get impatient with this approach, as the findings are hardly definitive. Fudge what is supposed to be a fast, and you'll get weak results accordingly. Were they trying to make it easier for the subjects by allowing them to eat something on days they were supposed to be fasting? Some day, I'd like to see the results of a properly designed study that would not allow subjects to vary (cheat) from the protocol designed for their groups. When I fast, I fast. That means no intake of calories and only consumption of water, plain tea, or plain coffee with no fats or sweeteners. In other words, it's a real fast! This smells of selection bias.
  #525   ^
Old Wed, May-03-17, 09:25

BF:

I dunno, Varady is a real fasting enthusiast, she's pinned her career to this sort of fasting.

For me, a ketogenic approach seems to be better for weight loss, up day/down day doesn't seem to help much if at all. If I'm very careful to make sure that I'm eating enough on the up days to avoid weight loss and pretty much be in maintenance, while still keeping the macros very ketogenic (which gets harder when you're trying to get in about 3600 calories), there does seem to be some value in that--I'll feel more energetic on both days, and generally more positive. But it only seems to work if I"m even stricter than usual, otherwise I'll lose some of the anti-anxiety effects of ketosis (I can tell because the more SA ramps up, the more often I'll type out a comment on a thread like this and wind up deleting it). My version is different from Varady's, though, I'll take all of the down day calories as heavy cream.