Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 03:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 315/304/160 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thank you everybody.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 04:52

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz
[FONT=Courier New]I stumbled on this site looking for information re the use of BCAA to enhancer weight loss on a low carb diet. What I found here was many comments but not one answer to the original question. I know that BCAA supplements have been used by athletes and weight trainers for many years and I see comments on this site datng back to 2002, so obviously this is not an unknown subject.
I'm writing because my husband and I just started on one of our periodic diets and we added a BCAA shake after reading the Woman's World article and doing a bit of research. Dr. Pescatore is a well known physician and he was associate director of the Adkins Canter.
So far we are amazed at the difference this one change has made. My husband has the prescribed half portion shake in the morning and we both drink the full shake with added ingredients mid afternoon. We found the recommended turmeric seemed to make the taste bitter, so we have omitted it. We bought the BCAA powder at our local Walgreens cheaper than the protein powder we usually drink about twice a week.
The results so far have been outstanding. We are never hungry; haven't had the third "Protein Booster Shot" It's too early for definitive results, but so far we have lost a pound a day, more than we ever achieved before.

So you're results are that you've lost a pound a day an day and you're not hungry? Please describe "Periodic Diet". If by that you mean you just started a diet again and added the suplement at the same time how can you diferenciate between the affect of the diet vs BCAA on your rapid water weight loss and lack of appetite? Many hear report the exact same results when starting a simple low carb diet.

One way to tell might be to stop the periodic diet for 2 weeks or more. Set a start date when you add BCAA only, continue eating "normally" for a month. Stop taking BCAA and switch back to the low carb diet you are currently having success with and see a) how hunger is observed and b) if loss of water/fat might be related more to low carb diet or ingesting BCAA's on a "normal" diet.

Interested readers want to know!

Thanks!
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 06:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/192/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Were they not sued for the Kimkins diet too. I am new, but found out about her when I was researching low carb. I stumbled upon Many articles and blogs about her. Including this site, watch out for scammers, they are everywhere.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 14:14

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
So you're results are that you've lost a pound a day an day and you're not hungry? Please describe "Periodic Diet". If by that you mean you just started a diet again and added the suplement at the same time how can you diferenciate between the affect of the diet vs BCAA on your rapid water weight loss and lack of appetite? Many hear report the exact same results when starting a simple low carb diet.

One way to tell might be to stop the periodic diet for 2 weeks or more. Set a start date when you add BCAA only, continue eating "normally" for a month. Stop taking BCAA and switch back to the low carb diet you are currently having success with and see a) how hunger is observed and b) if loss of water/fat might be related more to low carb diet or ingesting BCAA's on a "normal" diet.

Interested readers want to know!

Thanks!

Same question here, another interested reader. I can say without hesitation that I am rarely hungry on a very low carb, ample healthy fats WOE. Before I approached my goal weight, I, too, was losing weight at a fairly steady rate. I'm not taking the BCAAs. How do you know it's the shakes?
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 13:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 172/165/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Using BCAA un low carb diet

I looked at this site for information re the use of BCAA supplement but what I found was nothing but negative comments about Dr. Pescatore, his sale of the supplement, etc. No one writing had tried the diet!

So I posted to this site to tell our experience. Again, My husband and I have been on low carb diets periodically for years. We lose, then go on a cruise, have company, and simply revert to our old ways. Let me emphasize that our "old ways" include raising a garden, grinding our own hamburger and sausages from low fat meat, eating lots of vegetables, seldom eating out, never buying processed boxed foods or sweets.

As I stated, it's too early to make any definitive conclusions, but we are experiencing faster loss and less craving for bread, potatoes etc. than on our past low carb diets.

Other weight loss sites I've visited tend to stress encouragement rather than
critical attitudes.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 13:08

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz
...As I stated, it's too early to make any definitive conclusions, but we are experiencing faster loss and less craving for bread, potatoes etc. than on our past low carb diets...

Excellent! Keep us posted. The original poster of this thread is going to give it a try too and report, at least that's what I recall reading.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 20:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Joz, I just have to mention here that you seem to think that "low fat" is part of a healthy diet. It's not. My years of research (see our LC Research forum) have well and truly shown me that the only healthy diet is low in carbs and high in fat.

I have never felt the need to take anything like BCAAs. And to me a "normal diet" is low carb.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 13:30

BF:
Default Yes to fats! (and BCAA suplements.)

I'm confused. I said nothing about believing low fat is good. We use olive, canola, flax, walnut and coconut oil.

For anyone interested in learning more about BCAA's, Webmd has an amazing list of all the medical uses, such as preventing muscle wasting in bedfast patients. stayfitcentral.com has an article reflecting our experience of lessening cravings, and men'shealth.com has lots of info. As I mentioned before, athletes have used BCAA supplements for years. There are also many medical studies looking into BCAA's and insulin resistance if you can wade through them!

We never jump on the latest weight loss pills, so we did some research before starting BCAA powdered drinks.

Last edited by Joz : Wed, Apr-26-17 at 13:51.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 14:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Let me emphasize that our "old ways" include raising a garden, grinding our own hamburger and sausages from low fat meat, eating lots of vegetables, seldom eating out, never buying processed boxed foods or sweets.

Joz--I would probably take this as advocating a low fat version of low carb, but I can see how you might have meant this as saying that when you're not eating low carb, you're eating what most mainstreamers would consider a pretty clean diet.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 16:53

BF:

Teaser -- We've always used many fats, avoiding saturated and trans fats. (Hence making our own sausage-- low fat, no nitrites.) I'm not sure what writers here mean by "real food", but we ate potatoes, whole grain bread, rice, peas, beans, and corn in addition to low carbs vegs. To me that's eating real food, but not low carb overall.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-17, 05:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz
I'm not sure what writers here mean by "real food", but we ate potatoes, whole grain bread, rice, peas, beans, and corn in addition to low carbs vegs. To me that's eating real food, but not low carb overall.

I have come to regard "potatoes, whole grain bread, rice, peas, beans, and corn" as not-food. Because eating them tends to make me hungrier, not more satiated. And if you look at the nutritional profile, their nutrient density is rather pathetic.

I don't think I'm missing anything as a result.