Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 12:54

Plan: PP
Stats: 198/158/145
BF:
Progress:
Default New Carb fighter Health Question

I have been on low carb since September. Saw very good results but have reached a plateau (lost about 30 lbs). I still feel great, but I have not lost any weight in about a month.

I have a nasty taste in my mouth, increases and decreases in intensity, but never goes away. Friend suggested Ketosticks, but tests were O.K.

Like I said, I am new and a novice, looking for advice.

Gary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 13:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Gary!

The taste is a by-product of ketosis. Ketones are excreted wherever water leaves your body - urine, sweat and your mouth.

Upping your water intake should help. You should be drinking 64 oz. + 8 more ounces for every 25 pounds you want to lose.

I have a question for you. You say you are following Protein Power, but your profile says you have read Carb Addict. You can get lots of advice here, but it helps us to know which plan you have read and are following. They're all a little bit different.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 16:11

BF:
Progress:
Default time to fess up

I have been had again! My wife get all over me for my "plan". She started by reading Somersizing and tried to get me on that plan. Seemed to complicated to me. My Dr. has been shaming me to get on Atkins or Protien Power. Perscribed Carb Addict diet book. I bought into PP and yet have not stuck to the plan.

I travel quite a bit, so "my plan" has been no carbs period. I know there are carbs in everything, but I avoid the bread, pasta, sweets, and get what carbs I do eat from veggies and fruit.

So I am busted. I'm a victim of a self created plan.

Gary
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 17:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
So I am busted. I'm a victim of a self created plan.

Yep! you are! I worked as an undercover agent in a former life!

Gary, you're missing out on a lot of stuff by not reading . It sounds like you don't want anything too complicated so Atkins would probably be your best bet, but it is more strict than PP.

I don't know what vegetables and fruits you are eating, but the only fruit generally allowed is berries. A few other fruits are allowed with PP, but in very limited quantities. You also don't eat vegetables like carrots, potatoes and peas on a LC plan.

So, make it easy on your self. If you know the rules, you know when you're breaking them.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 19:47

BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins here I come

I am on my way to the Atkins plan. My apple every other day is history I guess.

My veggie intake has been limited to green beans and lettuce so I might not be too bad there. I am an avid label reader on dressings and so on, and I try to stay away from prepared foods. I must admit to a beef jerky failure however.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gary
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 21:07

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

Gary, prepacked jerky usually has quite a bit of sugar in it. Either buy it at a health food store (and ask about sugar content) or make it yourself. It's simple as can be with a food dehydrator, but I do it without one, only using the oven. It's SO much better than anything you can buy, too!