Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 15:48

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/144/135 Female 5'9"
BF:19
Progress: 44%
Talking calories, calories

So basically 1 zone block should equal 91 calories. Well, not in Zone terms. I feel like my zone meals are getting out of hand with the calories. Here's an example of a two different 3 block meals:

3 oz Tuna (3 P, 99 calories)
1/3 c Chopped Cucumber (0 C, 6 calories)
1 large orange (2 C, 86 calories)
1 TB Tartar Sauce, 1 1/2 tsp Light Mayo (3 F, 65 calories)
4 Saltines (1 C, 56 calories)
Total Calories=312

2/3 c Slow Cook Oats (2 C, 99 calories)
4 egg whites (2 P, 66 calories)
1 whole egg (1 P, 2 F, 75 calories)
3 TB LF Feta Cheese (1 F, 53 calories)
1 c Chopped Broccoli (1 C, 44 calories)
Total Calories=336

Is this ok? I am sure it is, but I just need verification Doesn't everyone
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 22:55

Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default calories ~ The Precise Zoner

Quote:
Originally posted by lisalaura
So basically 1 zone block should equal 91 calories. Well, not in Zone terms. I feel like my zone meals are getting out of hand with the calories. Is this ok? I am sure it is, but I just need verification Doesn't everyone

Not to worry.
If we were to take it to the enth degree, then yes, you're right, it would = 91 calories. BUT, as you may have noticed with Fitday, you're ratios don't come up exact. Take peanut butter for instance. In Zone terms, it's only a fat, but there is also protein and carb (we don't count it), but there are calories in those macronutrients. My peanut butter for example: 1T = 100 calories (rounded)
How do we arrive at 100 calories? 8g Fat (X9=72), 3g Carb (X4=12), 4.5g Protein (X4=18) 72+12+18=102

Does that make sense?

If you're interested in getting more precise, you can ~ (you gotta have a mini calculator going on in your head all of the time ) However, when it comes to plant proteins, (beans, nuts, legumes), count only about 70% of the protein in block terms, but count all of the calories.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 04:51

Default thank you!

Thank you for that helpful clarification ZoneCoach!

I use to be better at this when I first started the Zone a yr ago. I need to re-read some pages in the books I have.

Tell me if I am right: (Please )

1. If I have a 3 oz protein, ie: chicken, I count this as 3 P Blocks, and 1.5 F Blocks, having to add ONLY 1.5 F blocks and 3 C to put it in the Zone.

2. If I have a fat, ie: Cheese, I should count the protein and fat, but do not count the protein in peanut butter, just the fat. Nuts I should count 70% of the protein and count all of the fat.

3. If I have a carb from veggie, ie: spinach, Do not count the protein, only the carbs. But if I chose to have "plant source," beans, nuts, etc. Count 70% of the protein and all of the carb.

Quote:
If you're interested in getting more precise, you can ~ (you gotta have a mini calculator going on in your head all of the time )

I kind of like that aspect of it. I am majoring in Math Education, so it's fun for me. I took a quiz on line that I found once and it was to find out which diet was right for me. Out of Atkins, Suzanne Somers, Zone and a few others, the Zone was it!

I just LOVE this support forum, that's what truely makes it easy. So thanks, to everyone!

Last edited by lisalaura : Wed, Mar-12-03 at 04:58.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 22:03

Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: thank you!

Quote:
Originally posted by lisalaura
Thank you for that helpful clarification ZoneCoach!

You're welcome.
Quote:
I use to be better at this when I first started the Zone a yr ago. I need to re-read some pages in the books I have.

Some of it is not directly spelled out. I've learned a lot by just asking questions of Dr. Sears' staff and research.
Quote:
Tell me if I am right: (Please )
1. If I have a 3 oz protein, ie: chicken, I count this as 3 P Blocks, and 1.5 F Blocks, having to add ONLY 1.5 F blocks and 3 C to put it in the Zone.
Correct.
Quote:
2. If I have a fat, ie: Cheese, I should count the protein and fat,
Correct
Quote:
but do not count the protein in peanut butter, just the fat. Nuts I should count 70% of the protein and count all of the fat.
3. If I have a carb from veggie, ie: spinach, Do not count the protein, only the carbs. But if I chose to have "plant source," beans, nuts, etc. Count 70% of the protein and all of the carb.

Okay, here's where it gets a little tricky. At the risk of really confusing the daylights out of everyone, I'll try to explain.

We've always heard there is protein in just about everything; ie; beans, nuts, peanut butter, breads, grains, even some vegetables. The Zone principle is NOT to count those proteins because it is bound up in the fiber and our bodies can't access it. SCIENTIFICALLY, our bodies do absorb somewhere between 50-75% (depending on how high fiber our diet is and what the item is).
Now, there are two types of proteins ~ complete and incomplete. Complete proteins contain all the essential amino acids (protein building blocks) and come only from animal sources (beef, chicken, eggs, turkey, fish, etc. and of course dairy) Some studies show Soy also contains all of the essential aminos, but some don't. I'm not sure what to believe about soy.
Then there are incomplete proteins. These are what we get from plants. They do not contain all of the essential amino acids, however, most experts agree that if your diet is varied, you get all of essential aminos you need. ie: COMPLIMENTARY PROTEINS. For instance: Beans and rice = a complete protein. Peanut butter & high grain bread = a complete protein. It is said that eating complimentary proteins throughout the day is sufficient to receive enough aminos {vegetarians}. But if you're only absorbing 50-75% of it, then it makes more sense to eat complete proteins to begin with (if you're not a vegetarian).
This is why when you're using a tool like Fitday, the protein count is always over what you think you're getting on the Zone. If you want to be real precise, then sure, go ahead and count SOME of the protein from plant sources, especially if you're consuming a lot of things like nuts, lentils and other legumes along with high grain breads. Most people find success by not doing that. So for those who don't want to think that much, don't stress about it. Just count complete protein for protein, carbs for carbs and fat for fat.
I hope this makes sense.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 10:05

Quote:
So for those who don't want to think that much, don't stress about it.

OK, good, I am not going to stress too much about, since I never did before and still had success in the Zone.

Quote:
I hope this makes sense

Crystal Clear! Thank you