Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 17:31
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Atkins best recipes

Someone got me the book as a gift.

I almost wanted to tell them to take it back and save their money. I had a tough time finding a recipe that didnt use some type of atkins product. I mean even the french onion soup had bake mix in it.

On induction according to the book you can now have all the atkins breads, tortillas and muffins.

Also, from a quick glance the recipes seemed overly greasy and you can find better recipes online imo.

I totally suggest going a regular non LC cookbook and making the recipes LC than wasting your money in this book. Its really sad. I wish they would have more recipes with real foods instead of sticking their bake mix or their bread or something into all the recipes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 17:40
Registered Member

Plan: My own version of Atkins
Stats: 252/135/150 Female 65 Inches
BF:
Progress: 115%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
I totally suggest going a regular non LC cookbook and making the recipes LC than wasting your money in this book. Its really sad. I wish they would have more recipes with real foods instead of sticking their bake mix or their bread or something into all the recipes.

Personal opinion but I think most of the atkins recipes and almost all the atkins products are gross. I get my recipes here.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 19:43

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

I've gotten good recipes off the Atkins website. I love to cook, and I've found lots that don't use their products.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 22:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/123 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I like the recipes I have found online. I have tried some Atkins recipes, but was also frustrated that they called for Atkins brand ingredients. The thing that frustrates me most is the marketing and HUGE price mark-up of the LC products, but ESPECIALLY Atkins brand! Really, $6 bucks for a box of cereal? $20 for a can of shake mix? Over $5 for a muffin mix??? And that Thick-n-Thin or whatever they call it and bake mix...holy cow! $$$$$ I emailed Atkins with a question before I found this forum and realized you people have all the answers My question was about eating cocoa and the unsweetened baking chocolate during Induction. While I did get a reply to my email, they didn't answer my question. Instead i got a list of Atkins chocolate products...the syrup, bars, ice cream, shakes, and mixes! So, does that mean I can eat chocolate on Induction? UGH! I wanted an answer, not an advertisment!!!

oh well. The garlic, rosemary, pepper beef roast is WONDERFUL!!!! That, I'll stick with Karen!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 05:59
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
My question was about eating cocoa and the unsweetened baking chocolate during Induction. While I did get a reply to my email, they didn't answer my question. Instead i got a list of Atkins chocolate products...the syrup, bars, ice cream, shakes, and mixes! So, does that mean I can eat chocolate on Induction? UGH! I wanted an answer, not an advertisment!!!

According to this recipe book you can have cocoa on induction, but I dont think Dr. A approved.

Ive decided a while back that I dont like the morons who give telephone and email support. I had a friend who was starting and she called them a bunch of times and they kept giving her different and incorrect information. She got so frustrated she stopped calling, they kept telling her to eat more bars.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 06:51
Registered Member

Stats: 206/170/135 Female 5ft. 7.5inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

:agree
I totally agree with you. After purchasing this book for a friend (and sneaking a peak ) I thought that it was money wasted, but that is what they asked for. I perfer to look here and make up my own. Thanks for all the encouragement and welcome SPRING! Praise GOD!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 06:59
Elevator, Going Down

Plan: Natalia Rose Detox
Stats: 264/241/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Dana Carpender

I was wondering if any of you have tried Dana Carpender's books? I find her writing to be clear and full of sense, and she talks about all the ingredient choices you can make.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846

I hope Dr. Atkins isn't turning in his grave over what the Nutritionals company has done with his name, poor guy! He shouldn't have sold the company.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 08:05
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I think it's really a shame that the breads, tortillas and some of the sweets are now approved for Induction. I know people can lose weight doing it that way, but you're kinda defeating the purpose...
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 08:43
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary M
I think it's really a shame that the breads, tortillas and some of the sweets are now approved for Induction. I know people can lose weight doing it that way, but you're kinda defeating the purpose...

I agree. I rather thought the point was to learn to eat healthy foods, not replace your unhealthy foods with low-carb unhealthy foods. If you're not learning a different way to eat, then it's not going to do you much good in the long run.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 08:53
Registered Member

Stats: 154/146.5/125 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 26%

I don't buy Atkins stuff because it is to pricely. I have bought carb.smarts ice cream and they are great. Especially the fudge bars. Taste just like chocolate ice cream. Yummy!! The bbq sauce is good too. I'd love to eat some pancakes but now LC recipe for it. Maybe someone has one they can share. Thanks
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 08:59

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I have that one!

I stay clear of all Franken foods on induction! You want to eat clean then
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:02

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I picked up an Atkins recipe book at the grocery store last weekend, I'm glad I looked through it, the recipes here are much better (and natural). I put the book back and saved $16 plus tax.

Vikki
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:48

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love the recipes here. I've had faux-tatoes and barbecued ribs and cole slaw and pizza quiche. Ummmmm. Excuse my while I wipe the drool from the corners of my mouth. Atkins has a great program, but it got over-commercialized. His products are just too expensive for me.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 10:52
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I bought the book as well on a whim. When I checked it out at home it was definetly disapointing. I have the Atkins quick and easy cookbook. That at least has recipes without Atkins products. With the best recipes I'll just substatute when I need to.

Is it just me or since Atkins death has the company really kicked into over drive? Suddenly Atkins best recipes and atkins essentials comes out which are basically book length ads for Atkins products. The site is turning out all kinds of new products and more and more of them are marked as ok for induction. Yes the rest of the market is booming and they have to keep up, but I have to wonder how honest all these products are anymore. Also everytime I hear someone on here has contacted the Atkins help line, they have gotten either poor advice (someone was told they had to stay on induciton until 10 pounds form goal weight) or they were told to eat more Atkins products.