Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#856   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 14:28

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Lori:
Hope you got in your nap today. Have fun at your sister's! Was it difficult getting off work, or are they pretty accommodating? I am sure it is easier now since the holidays are over.

Blue:
Hope you have (or had) a smooth and uneventful plane ride home. Wish I could be welcoming you home to some better weather. But actually, if you are coming home today...this is the best we have had in a few days! Goes south again tomorrow! It will make you relive and appreciate SF even more! But I know that it is not the weather you will miss. I sensed a great time with your son with lots of laughter, great food (that he was proud to show off to you), fun binge watching a series, and just plain warm times being together!

Trig:
Missing you like everyone else. Hope you are coming home feeling refreshed and renewed. I don't think it was as warm as you wanted, but I just hope that being near the water and with your family was fulfilling and will take you far into this winter!
Sponsored Links
  #857   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 17:46

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hey ladies quick in- because right now I HAVE to. It has been a SUPER DUPER struggle WOE wise today.

I DID NOT blow it. But my head has already blown it. I wonder if I can gain weight by THINKING about it!!!!! HAHAHAH

First it has been so so cold. I have Raynolds anyway. that is a condition that shuts down the circulation in your hands and feet if it gets cold.
Our heat at work was broken. We all sat there until 11:30 trying to work through it- but it was brutal. I lost feeling in my hands and feet before the boss sent everyone home to work, due to the cold.

SOoooooooo......... I have started my year off with a boom! What I will and won't do. Wanting a jump start I am "dieting/ restricting".
Because it was so dam cold- one of the gals ran out and got hot tomato soup and adult thick grilled cheese. I have done nothing but think about her meal ever since. I am serious. Her sandwich was thick cut bread with a pound of gooey cheese in it.

I can't tell you how - first I was COLD, her soup looked hot. I was cold, and hungry. Her meal - I could have taken her down for it. I had thoughts trust me.
I have been on the edge ever since. Then I'm sitting here right- now at home eaten for the day. FULL too I might add. But the thought came to me that Panera delivers- tomato soup and grilled cheese.

I had to come here - no I have not blown it. I am struggling in my head. The beautiful part. I will be so happy in the morning after I sleep off the craving. But dang some days are better than others. Been a minute since I have been hit that hard for a craving.

Leeann- You ask about other goals besides WOE. Getting through school- and doing well, buying a home, and landing a husband! Oh wait did I say that out loud! HHAHAHAHAH........

Ok- being not silly now- I would like to be able to get back to jogging/ running again. I would love to get back into a love of working out. I loved it when I did it.

I love to read too! but not sure how much I will get in with school.

I would like to meet more people. Join some sort of club. I have tried a church here for a couple months- just to meet people. Was not my cup of tea. I also joined a card club here and liked it for the most part. But most people were 20 years my senior and it is 40 minutes away- and happens on a work night.

But I would think maybe another club- of sorts would be fun. I did Toastmasters when I was in Greenville and loved it. Have you ever heard of it? It is a public speaking club.

So to answer your question more directly- maybe join a extra circular club- and meet some folks and get to know them.

Glad you are recouping from your week!!!!!!!!!!!

KMOM- OK I really did almost spit my drink when I read your question: WHY ARE YOU HIRING MORE PEOPLE WHEN YOUR PROGRAM ON VERGE OF COLLAPSE........... Because management- is clueless. I really did laugh out loud on that. When all else fails- hire more people. We have no plan, we have no goals- lets hire people and figure it out as we go. Oh..... and during the interview tell them we are not sure of what they will be doing- but we are sure it will be good. I can't make that up- she said that last interview we had with a gal. She said we were in flux, but working on a plan! YUP- real secure there!!!! She passed on the job- SURPRISE
LOLOLOL-

It was too cold to do anything other than sit. off to Geta bubble bath

Last edited by Jaz66 : Tue, Jan-02-18 at 17:55.
  #858   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 20:27

BF:
Progress:

Hang in there, Jaz. I hope you have kept the resolve. I cracked up at your description of the tomato soup and the gooey grilled cheese sandwich. Those two are some of my favorites too! When we get to our goal, I'll take you out for those two!

You really have true grit. You are able to talk yourself out of disaster...at least a lot of the time.

I hope this is one of those time.

K-Mom 10x4
  #859   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 21:01

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

OK my soup is cooling now. I had to set an alarm to get up later on and put it in the fridge bc I'm an idiot and made it late tonight to start eating tomorrow.

Anyway, unless I am baking or following a recipe, I tend to wing it. Here's what I remember tossing in:

4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, poached in the remains of chicken broth from a box, then roughly chopped
Leftover bone broth
3/4 package cut green beans (frozen)
3/4 package broccoli/cauliflower (frozen, both small birds eye steam in the bag ones)
3/4 of a small yellow squash
1/2 of a zucchini
half a can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
minced garlic
tomato paste- a squeeze
umami paste- a squeeze
a splash of soy sauce
a splash of Worcestershire sauce
pink salt, pepper, garlic powder, turmeric, hot paprika, smoked paprika- all to taste
  #860   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 21:02

BF:

Jaz- I know exactly the voice you are fighting and how insistent it is. And I know how much it totally sucks.
You are being really strong and you are awesome!!

Hope you got your bath. That helps a lot!
  #861   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 04:23

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Happy New Year everyone!

Jaz I read about you losing a size but no weight loss. REMEMBER that when you eat NO carbs, you will be a smaller person at a higher weight. You will be lean and mean in the body. It doesn't go fast on this, it takes a long time to 'lean out' but you will continue to get smaller, that is a fact and a great one SO YOU HOLD strong my friend. You will get tons of benefits ditching the carbs!!! Hey I have to fight cravings also but one thing is clear on this way of life, if you hold firm and ENJOY AND EAT the tons of great foods we can you got it in the bag!!

HEY ALL!!!!

trip was good but WAY too cold. the wind! the cold sharp beach wind was horrible.

and get this, my indoor pool was broken! reason I booked this place...ugh. It was open the day we got in, kiddo and I checked it out, water was warm and toasty but we were tired from the drive so we said, tomorrow we will swim! Got there the next day and closed. Leak. That was fixed but they could not get the chemicals balanced to open up....stayed closed the whole time. What a super disappointment. Boring trip kinda with few very fun times thrown in. Fireworks on the boardwalk were fab etc.

WILL NEVER do a cold beach trip again, that is a fact Jack HAHA
looking now to book Key West trip in the winter, will start up my research cause this old gal is going for the warm winter trip, will never do a cold winter trip again!

Had to fight some tough cravings. Surrounded by SO MUCH food when eating out and family ordered it all...ugh....but I go thru it fine. I put on my big girl panties ya know HA

but when we got home in the morning the next day I made a ton of scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon and family made big old fluffy delish biscuits in the oven....omg the smell of those and sight of them when they came out....I swear I could taste them!! I had to fight hard not to have one.....every excuse came into play.....'just one', 'moderate', 'just a taste of one', '1/2 of one only', 'I will be fine' and more..........didn't do it tho....held my ground but it irked me I had to fight hard on this one, I truly wanted those biscuits, and I know me, I never would have taken a bite only, 1/2 only, 1 only, I would have been in it for at least 2-3 biscuits and who knows from there what I would have eaten!! I could see the progression in my mind on just how it would have went down!! I ain't kidding myself anymore at all. It would have been a carb binge of epic proportion so I was sure to make my choice a smart one, I had none! whew, got thru it. I always get thru it cause it is what I want I won't allow cravings to take me off plan anymore. My old motto of 'No matter what' is in play at all times! No matter what goes down I stay on plan come hell or highwater eh, it gets me thru

well, some days ya gotta fight very hard but most days are super easy for me now, I just go with the flow and roll with the punches as they come.

Have a great day!
  #862   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 05:35

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Good Morning!

This gal- had her bath, and did fine. I always feel so good when that food monster tries to make me cave and I win. I woke up feeling good- no food misery.

YAY- TRIG is back! Wowza on the pool being closed! I know what ya mean by a COLD beach! It only takes once! I went to Destin once the first week of Jan. Never again. Not warm enough.

I KNOW you put on the big girl panties and sailed right through those restaurants. But you are right- sometimes sights and smells get to me. I just have to walk away Renee! As do you!
Thanks for the boost my friend. I know we carnivores do "lean out" eventually. I am hanging tight for that!
VERY Happy your back! Is the kiddo back to school?

Leeann- Hey thanks for posting that recipe. What would your guess be on the carbs? Could be to carb for me. Although I am thinking I could do something similar with just some chicken and broth, and maybe a can of tomatoes.
I make something sorta like that with ground turkey. It is really simple:
I use package ground turkey
1/2 onion
garlic
chicken broth entire container
1 small can roasted tomatoes
1 package frozen cauliflower with the peas and carrots (Birdseye)
salt, pepper, splash of coconut amino, hot peppers to taste.

It works out per serving about 3-4 total carbs. I have also added a cup sliced beef sausage. You know the one that comes in a "horse shoe"- it adds some fat and flavor- and more meat. Sorta a soupy gumbo- no rice, or okra.

Glad you are getting your house back in order! Feels good doesn't it!

Blue- Welcome back! I bet you weren't expecting it to be this cold!
Post when you get caught up!

KMOM- Thank you for your kind words! Yes I "slept off that craving". WHEN we get to goal- we won't want that soup and grilled cheese! I think I am recognizing that I am more vulnerable when I am tired, and hungry. Toss colder than cold in there. I just don't do cold well.
That is why preplanning is essential. I will be interested how the soup works for you.

Lori- Hey working gal! How was yesterday! Are you doing any kind of "flush" or kick start? I am doing those shakes you recommended. I bought the egg white powder. I got the vanilla- Thanks for the recommendation. I don't add anything extra. I know you like the peanut butter powder.
Hoping you get a day off here and there!
-----------------------------------------------------
OMG- I hate cold. Let me just say that for the record. And in the scope of things I am "warmer" than the rest of you! Blue/ KMOM I would not be able to function in your temps!

Holy smokes I am ready for spring! Holiday is over- bring on the sun, and warmer temps.

I love I am able to come here and write like I did last night, and the cravings pass. Thankfully I do not get hit like that often!
Today will be my shake about 1- then I have leftover salmon and deviled eggs for dinner. No thinking about food today, it's already to go!

I spent hours yesterday going through property listing. They all started running together. I have actually started packing. I have a few boxes in my living room. I took down the Christmas stuff and straight into a box it went. I also brought home about 10 more boxes home from work. They are med size boxes. To put knick knacks in. Here I go again!

I hope the heat is on at work today. Yesterday was brutal. I know that the boss won't let us go home again. We have 2 interviews this afternoon. Don't ask me why- again poor management. I have stopped trying to figure it out.
I am just going with the flow, doing what I am told, and going back to school. That is my focus now. I am letting crap roll off- not my circus as you say Leeann! I just work there.

Ok- time to go! Have a WARM and wonderful day all!
  #863   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 05:56

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

YAY! Trig is back! So sorry that your beach trip was SO cold. This weather has been horrible and it just won't break. We had -2 this morning. Brutal. How disappointing that the pool was not in service when you were there too! Sigh...I so admire how strong you are on your plan. Big girl panties for sure!

Jaz...what a temptation you had! Your description had my mouth watering too! Hope you were able to hold strong thru the evening. Hope they have the heat fixed at your office today.

Nic...your soup sounds awesome. Funny how you set your alarm to get up to put it away. Sounds like something I would do! You all have me wanting soup with all these recipes. I really need to make a pot of chili when I get back from my sister's.

I'm planning to leave early tomorrow morning, weather permitting. There is an east coast storm coming and I'm hoping that it doesn't move inland enough to cause me problems on my drive. I am SO over this Winter! I was planning to come home on Sunday, but there is yet another storm coming for then. Ice changing to snow.....what fun! I may come home Saturday afternoon to avoid that mess. I'm off to check weather.com now.

Blue...hope you arrived home safely. I'm sure it'll take you a bit to get back in the groove.

Running a few errands later today when it warms up to the 20's. It will feel like a heat wave! Have a good day!
  #864   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 06:38

BF:

Lori where are ya going on this trip? I can't remember.
fill me in again

You and me both over this winter already. WE ARE NORTH cold down here. Not our usual 60s in the old days. We are freezing our butts off here.

Jazz, you said it...this cold is not a good southern cold, it is a northern freeze your butt off cold....I tell ya I can't stand it at all.

OMG FIRST CHANCE when kiddo graduates we are outta here and I will NEVER do a winter state again in winter

ok enough whining on this winter thing, but wait, you do know I am going to say it over and over and over again HAHA
  #865   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 07:37

BF:

KMom- an electric kettle is a teapot of sorts that has a base. Plug the base in, add water to the teapot, put it on the base and in a few minutes you have rapidly boiling hot water. It then shuts itself off. The inside is all stainless steel and it is great. By the time I've hand-ground my coffee beans, the water is pretty much ready to go for the french press. I'm not sure of the capacity of it but I am guessing around 6-7 cups.

Jaz- I like your other goals and of course school is a big one. Hopefully that will lead in to more job options as well, at higher pay too!

Trig- WELCOME BACK!! You were sorely missed!
The pool being closed SUPREMELY SUCKS. I am so sorry about that. It sounds like you said, a few good times but otherwise pretty quiet. Get your Key West 2018 winter trip booked NOW!

Good job on fighting cravings on your trip and when back. You are absolutely a role model for strength. Well done!

The toss-together soup: Not sure on the carb count. All the veggies used were low carb vs peas/corn/beans etc so that helps. I don't worry about counting carbs in that case. Also, added no onion and only half a small can of roasted diced tomatoes to keep the carb count lower. But if you figure a serving size of 1.5 cups or so, with a good part of that also being chicken thigh, to me it is pretty darn harmless. I am not worried about it at all carb count wise.

Lori- I hope your trip to your sister's goes well tomorrow. For the moment the snow looks to be hugging the coast pretty tightly. Hope it stays that way for you!

BLUE- come back to us!!

••••••••••••

A balmy 7 degrees driving DS16 to school today. At least it is brilliantly sunny. That will help. I am also really grateful to have a garage because when we get in the car it is 32 or so. I am sure some people with outside cars are having car trouble with this.

We are expecting just a touch of winter weather overnight into tomorrow. They are currently saying a dusting to about an inch. One thing is for certain- it will stick on contact!

I've got a list of things to do that I've been putting off- order DS19's contacts, make an appt for DS16, adjust the number of tickets for our dinner theater on the 14th, etc. Just stupid stuff I keep putting off because I hate making phone calls.

Coffee now, soup later, pulled pork for dinner that I've had marinating in a dry rub since last night. DS19 went out with friends last night and I had a half can of tuna, so I just gave DS16 a leftovers smorgasbord last night.

Poor DH had a horrible ear ache from having to fly to-from ATL yesterday with a cold. He also (unwisely) did not take a decongestant because he wanted to be able to think clearly. He did say it was somewhat better this morning although still stuffy.

Cleaning crew coming today- yay!! I've got some straightening up to do but I am looking forward to a nice clean house! They won't be able to do much in some areas (the dining room table is literally covered in Christmas stuff that I've taken down) but at least the floors will be cleaned, sheets changed etc.

Also getting a CASA visit in today.
  #866   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 09:58

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Trig....I'm just going to visit my sister from Thursday to Sunday. We don't really have any plans. We'll just hang out. I would like to be on the road by 7AM at the latest. 2.5 hrs. and I'll be there.

KMom...I have never had any problem getting days off work. As long as you plan it in advance, they will try to accommodate you. i have already put in for my week off in March when we're going to Key West.

I have come up with my word of 2018:

Perseverance - "Steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success"

This is the perfect word for my eating plan as well as other aspects of my life. It fits perfectly with my golf game as well. I'll just keep trying and doing my best!

I don't remember if anyone has previously used this word in other years.....hope I'm not stealing it from anyone.

Most of my chores are done and I'm just waiting for it to warm up a bit before I head out to run some errands.

Later!
  #867   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 10:06

BF:

Nicco I think sometimes the phone calls and other stupid stuff is just more annoying and more work then a big hard hands on project I get SO sick of doing that stuff since I do it all as I am sure you do too

Having trouble already booking cg for Dec 2018. Every cg is booked solid from the private nice ones to the state parks! Hubby wants private good one with a tiki hut, on the water with a boat dock. And those are booked solid.

I am thinking I am gonna have to book for Dec 2019!! OMG I tell ya

OW for your DH, that sounds rotten. I am so full of snots it is insanity for me. I am super stuffed and can't clear it yet, last night I was in a head fog, just almost totally out of it but I just keep taking drugs and hoping I clear, lol

Lori, oh cool, just a close trip to your sisters. I really hope weather doesn't hinder you at all cause those storms are all just around and being a pain now. At least you guys can just play it by ear and do what ya want when you want.

seems like this is gonna be a tough winter all around for everyone

I just got back from grocery. NO JOKE I AM SO OVER SHOPPING that I almost can't do it anymore. I just hate it now. I am not going to the grocery store for 3 weeks point blank. Refuse. Will go just before Feb and refill, other than that everyone is eating what is in the house! No exceptions. I am in a weird zone with shopping, it just annoys the heck out of me now LOL omg I am getting old and grouchy HA
  #868   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 14:24

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Welcome back Trig!!! We're all back, holidays and vacays are over, LCOW is at full strength!

Quick check in for me right now, as I need to blow out some feelings. I am super blue today, and by that I don't mean Blue who is super, I mean Blue who has the SADZ.

Oh man gals, leaving my son yesterday was so hard. Kind of took me by surprise, as we've been saying good bye to him for 3 years now. But I think it was a combo of things. Him hosting us, staying w/him as opposed to in a hotel---we spent so much cozy time together---and knowing our little threesome are all off to face challenges, and wishing we were geographically much closer to share it.

Thankfully after crying my mascara off, son dropped us off to meet two of my BFF's for lunch before going to the airport. Been hanging with these gals since 7th grade. Both live in Bay Area now. We were supposed to spend New Year's Day together, but both were recovering from the crud epidemic that's all over. (Honestly, everywhere we went in SF people were coughing their heads off!)
Anywho, that was a great distraction from the good bye to son for a bit.

But today I'm just staring out my window, trying to cope w/being back to all our realities. Missing son and our morning coffee chats overlooking that gorgeous city. Have a few projects I should be working on. Just can't get started.

So what to do? Go find my pals of course. So here I am. On plan---but kind of in that way someone's on the horse even if they're hanging from the stirrup, LOL. "What the heck" is trying to shoot out of my head like two red horns.

Good news is just being here and writing this is helping because I know I'm here because I want to re-commit, and hoist myself fully into the saddle in LC and all ways. Funny how one thing leads to the other and circles back to the other. Yep, that's why I'm here. Thank God for here and all you darlins.

Wanted to shoot all that smelly post vacay exhaust out and get it over with. I'll be back this evening with personals, and hopefully, a more positive outlook. Re-entry is a b*tch.
  #869   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 18:29

BF:

Hugs to you, Dear Blue. I know that you know, even in your sadness, that to have had such a wonderful time that you don't want to say goodbye is such a great gift. So glad that you had that time with your boy.

Back in the saddle again, sweetie pie. You've got some motivated chicks you are returning to!

Trig- Don't you just HATE those folks out there making you have to plan so stinking far ahead? It made me SO MAD when planning for our big summer trip, that everything was booked so far in advance. I hope you can find something that you like but dang it is crazy that you are talking about December 2019!!

Lori- Perseverance is a great word! And you do indeed persevere!

My chicken and veggie soup is really tasty. I am pleased with it! I also made a very very good pulled pork in the IP tonight. Lots of good eats in the house now, at least for me!

Thinking there might be a possibility of a two hour delay tomorrow, depending on what happens weather wise. We'll see!
  #870   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 18:32

BF:
Progress:

Water Hounds

Monday: Jaz _/5, KMom 5/5
Tuesday: Jaz _/5, KMom 4/5

Jaz, if you remember your water intake for Monday and Tuesday, let me know. If not, just start now.

Blue, start when you are ready.
Closed Thread