Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-16, 09:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Too little potassium?

Started 7/29/2016

I am researching potassium.

I DO NOT have heart or kidney problems and if you do, you MUST talk to your doctor or preferred medical person.

I have leg cramps and other things happening that I think are caused by low potassium. We lose electrolytes with low carb eating, and those who cycle low to high and back again are losing more.

I eat dairy and a few nuts, but not a lot of veggies so I am not getting enough through my diet. I have been supplimenting but the Western med and pharm are worried about overdosing so the feds only allow 90 to 99mg per tablet. I took one in the am and one at night. That is only 198mg a day plus what I was eating.

I decided to supliment with lite salt in the AM. This morning I took about 1/4 tsp. mixed with my 1/2 tsp of salt in a liter of water. I will add 1/4 tsp to my magnesium water mix tonight as well.

I have not tracked my food for a while, but I tracked for a few days to see how I was doing, and if we are supposed to have 4700mgs of potassium a day, I am sorely lacking. So I will continue tracking for a while and if needed increase my lite salt, to see if it makes a difference. My lite salt (the original NoSalt) says it has 640mg per 1/4 tsp) so I am getting 1280 mg from it. I may increase it if I need to.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
http://www.healthcommunities.com/ele...um_jhmwp.shtml

How Much Potassium Do You Need?

In general, adults should get at least 4,700 mg of potassium daily, while limiting themselves to 1,500 mg of sodium. But most Americans are not meeting either goal. In the study described above, even the group with the healthiest sodium-potassium balance wasn't stellar: They typically got about 2,700 mg of sodium and 2,900 mg of potassium each day. The group with the least healthy sodium-potassium balance consumed close to 3,800 mg of sodium and about 2,700 mg of potassium.

Hypokalemia

Too little potassium. Some people clear too much potassium from their bodies. In fact, this can often happen to those on diuretics for high blood pressure—though dangerously low levels are relatively uncommon. Low potassium is known as hypokalemia. Just like its "hyper" counterpart, mild hypokalemia usually causes no clear symptoms, but more severe cases may cause muscle weakness, fatigue and potentially dangerous heart arrhythmias.
Making adjustments If you have kidney disease, heart failure or diabetes, or if you are taking any of the medications mentioned earlier, your doctor may have already talked to you about potassium. If not, you can ask him or her whether you should be striving to get more potassium into your diet—or if you should be limiting your intake instead.
If you are on a diuretic and blood work shows you have low potassium, your doctor might switch you to a potassium-sparing diuretic or recommend a potassium supplement. If your doctor does recommend reducing your potassium intake, accomplishing that can be challenging.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do I need extra potassium on a low-carb diet?

https://www.verywell.com/do-i-need-e...b-diet-2241960
Photo © JupiterimagesBy Laura Dolson
Updated April 14, 2016

Question: Do I need extra potassium on a low-carb diet?
Answer: Although a healthy low-carb diet followed generally supplies ample amounts of potassium, the first week or so can cause potassium stores be lower. This is because glycogen (which is how the body stores carbohydrate), is depleted at first. Since glycogen is bound with potassium, there can be rapid loss of potassium in the body during the first week or two.

Additionally, going on and off of a low-carb way of eating can be a problem, as this can repeatedly deplete and replenish glycogen, possibly causing even more diminishing of potassium. Mostly likely, people who have been eating a potassium-rich diet won't be bothered by this, but there are exceptions.

The scientists at the National Academy of Sciences have increased their potassium recommendation from 3500 to 4700 mg per day. This is because getting more potassium seems to help some people with high blood pressure and possibly insulin resistance. Many people do not get this much potassium in their regular diets, mainly because they eat a lot of processed foods. A low-carb diet should not be low in potassium since fresh whole foods, which are the mainstay of our diets, supply the most potassium. Good sources are meats, vegetables, some fruits, and dairy products.

Symptoms of Low Potassium (with links to causes and treatment) from eMedicine Health.

Quick Potassium Quiz: Which of the following foods is highest in potassium?

a) 1 cup yogurt
b) ˝ cup cooked spinach
c) 1 medium banana
d) ˝ avocado
e) 1 cup cooked chopped broccoli
f) 1 4 oz pork chop (boneless)

Find the Answer Here https://www.verywell.com/quick-quiz...tassium-2242225
How Much Do You Know About Potassium in Foods?

Which of the following foods do you think is highest in potassium?

a) 1 cup yogurt
b) 1/2 cup cooked spinach
c) 1 medium banana
d) 1/2 avocado
e) 1 cup cooked chopped broccoli
f) 1 (4-ounce) pork chop (boneless)

Answer: The yogurt.
Here are the foods in order of potassium content. As you can see, they are all fairly high in potassium. The daily recommended intake for potassium is 4700 mg daily.

1 cup yogurt -- 573 mg potassium (Info on yogurt in low carb diets)
1 (4-ounce) pork chop (boneless) -- 514 mg
1 cup cooked chopped broccoli -- 458 mg
1/2 avocado -- 436 mg
1 medium banana -- 422 mg
1/2 cup cooked spinach -- 420 mg (other greens such as chard are similar)

Other high potassium low-carb foods include:

3 ounces canned clams -- 534 mg

4 ounces beef (sirloin) -- 495 mg
4 ounces grilled salmon -- 480 mg
1 cup raw mushrooms -- 390 mg
1 cup whole milk -- 369 mg
1 cup chopped chicken breast meat -- 358 mg
2 tablespoons tomato paste -- 342 mg
1 3x3-inch Miracle Brownie -- 333 mg (chocolate is high in potassium)

1 cup raw cauliflower -- 303 mg
2 tablespoons peanut butter -- 240 mg
6 asparagus spears -- 194 mg
1 cup black tea -- 88 mg

Other high potassium (but high-carb) foods: potatoes and oranges.

(THIS SITE GOES ON WITH LOW CARB HIGH POTASSIUM RECIPES)

+++++++++++++

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/low_...ium_symptomsLow Potassium
(Hypokalemia)

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) Overview
Low Potassium Causes
Low Potassium Symptoms
When to Seek Medical Care
Low Potassium Diagnosis
Low Potassium Self-Care at Home
Low Potassium Medical Treatment
Low Potassium Follow-up
Low Potassium Prevention
Low Potassium Prognosis

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) Overview

Potassium is a mineral (electrolyte) in the body. Almost 98% of potassium is found inside the cells. Small changes in the level of potassium that is present outside the cells can have severe effects on the heart, nerves, and muscles.
Potassium is important to maintain several bodily functions:

Muscles need potassium to contract.
The heart muscle needs potassium to beat properly and regulate blood pressure.

The kidney is the main organ that controls the balance of potassium by removing excess potassium into the urine.
When potassium levels are low (hypokalemia), you can become weak as cellular processes are impaired.

The normal potassium level is 3.5-5.0 mEq/L (mEq/L stand for milliequivalents per liter of blood and this is a measure used to evaluate the level). Low potassium is defined as a potassium level below 3.5 mEq/L.
Almost one out of five people hospitalized in the United States has a low potassium level.
People with eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia, patients with AIDS, alcoholics, and those who have had bariatric surgery have a higher incidence of hypokalemia than others.

Low Potassium Causes

Low potassium can occur for many reasons. Use of water pills (diuretics), diarrhea, and chronic laxative abuse are the most common causes of low potassium levels.
Illness and other medications may also lower potassium levels. Woman and African-Americans are at higher risk of developing hypokalemia.
Other causes of hypokalemia include:
Kidney losses

Certain kidney disorders such as renal tubular acidosis (for example, chronic kidney failure and acute kidney failure)
Magnesium deficiency
Leukemia
Cushing's disease (and other adrenal disorders)

Loss of potassium through stomach and intestines

Vomiting
Enemas or excessive laxative use
Diarrhea
After ileostomy operation

Effect of medicines

Water pills (diuretics)
Medicines used for asthma or emphysema (beta-adrenergic agonist drugs such as bronchodilators, steroids, or theophylline)
Aminoglycosides (a type of antibiotic)

Shifting of potassium into and out of cells can lower the concentration of potassium measured in the blood.

Use of insulin
Certain metabolic states (such as alkalosis)

Decreased food intake or malnutrition

Anorexia
Bulimia
Bariatric surgery
Alcoholism

Low Potassium Symptoms

Usually symptoms of low potassium are mild. At times the effects of low potassium can be vague. There may be more than one symptom involving the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, kidneys, muscles, heart, and nerves.

Weakness, tiredness, or cramping in arm or leg muscles, sometimes severe enough to cause inability to move arms or legs due to weakness (much like a paralysis)
Tingling or numbness
Nausea or vomiting
Abdominal cramping, bloating
Constipation
Palpitations (feeling your heart beat irregularly)
Passing large amounts of urine or feeling thirsty most of the time
Fainting due to low blood pressure
Abnormal psychological behavior: depression, psychosis, delirium, confusion, or hallucinations.

When to Seek Medical Care

If you are having symptoms of low potassium, call your doctor. If you have muscle cramps, weakness, palpitations, or feel faint and you are taking a diuretic (water pill), contact your healthcare professional or go to an urgent care facility or hospital emergency department immediately.
Without symptoms, you will not know you have low potassium levels until you have a routine blood test or an electrocardiogram (ECG, EKG).
Low Potassium Diagnosis

Sometimes the cause of low potassium is not clear. Your doctor may perform certain tests to rule out other conditions such as renal tubular acidosis, Cushing syndrome, and hypocalcemia.

If an electrolyte imbalance is suspected, blood tests will be ordered check potassium levels, kidney function (BUN and creatinine), glucose, magnesium, calcium, and phosphorous if an electrolyte imbalance is suspected.
Because low potassium is known to affect heart rhythms (arrhythmias), a doctor may order a digoxin (Lanoxin) level if the patient is taking a digitalis preparation.
ECG or a heart tracing is done to detect electrical changes in the heart and certain types of irregular heart rhythms that may be caused by low potassium.

Low Potassium Self-Care at Home

If you are monitoring low potassium levels, avoid long, strenuous physical activities because loss of potassium occurs with sweating.
If dietary supplements, herbal supplements, diuretics (water pills), or laxatives are causing the low potassium symptoms, avoid taking these products and consult a doctor. Never stop taking a prescribed medication without first consulting your doctor.
Low Potassium Medical Treatment

Potassium replacement therapy will be directed by the type and severity of the patient's symptoms. Treatment begins after lab tests confirm the diagnosis.
People suspected of having severely low potassium need to be placed on a cardiac monitor and have an IV started.
Usually, those with mild or moderately low potassium levels (2.5-3.5 mEq/L), who have no symptoms, or who have only minor complaints only need to be treated with potassium given in pill or liquid form. This is preferred because it is easy to administer, safe, inexpensive, and readily absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Some preparations, or too high of a dose, may irritate the stomach and cause vomiting.
If cardiac arrhythmias or significant symptoms are present or if the potassium level is less than 2.5 mEq/L, IV potassium should be given. In this situation, admission or observation in the emergency department is indicated. Replacing potassium takes several hours as it must be administered very slowly intravenously to avoid serious heart problems.
For those with severely low potassium and symptoms, both IV potassium and oral medication are necessary.
Precautions:

When potassium is used with medications such as ACE inhibitors, there is a risk of developing a high level of potassium.
Potassium-sparing diuretics and potassium-containing salt substitutes can also result in high potassium levels.

Low Potassium Follow-up

Usually doctors recommend a certain dosage of potassium supplementation and arrange to have a repeat blood level taken 2-3 days later.
The doctor may consider switching to potassium-sparing diuretics (water pills) if the patient needs to continue taking diuretics for another condition.
Low Potassium Prevention

A change in diet may be recommended if the patient is likely to develop low potassium levels. Examples of foods high in potassium include:

Bananas
Tomatoes
Oranges
Cantaloupes
Peaches

Do not overuse diuretics (water pills), and never use someone else's medicines.
If the person is taking medication, ask the doctor how often electrolyte levels need to be checked.
Low Potassium Prognosis

The condition of low potassium is treatable. The reason for the low potassium must be sought out, or it will most likely reoccur. With the right therapy, there usually are no further problems.
REFERENCE: Medscape. Hypokalemia.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 2/19/2015

© 2016 WebMD, LLC.
All rights reserved.
eMedicineHealth does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See Additional Information.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
How Much Potassium Is in Light Salt?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...in-light-salt/

Last Updated: Jul 22, 2011 | By Lexa W. LeeLite Salt is a trademarked salt alternative that has a lighter or smaller sodium content than regular salt. It contains a blend of regular salt and potassium chloride, according to Morton Salt. Lite Salt may be suitable for you if you have blood pressure conditions associated with a number of chronic health problems, according to the University of Wisconsin.
Sodium

A reduced sodium product like Lite Salt may be useful because sodium is known to exacerbate elevated blood pressure that is associated with heart disease, kidney disease, liver failure, a history of long term steroid use, Eating over 2,400 milligrams a day may cause your blood pressure to rise. This figure includes the sodium content of your food as well as sodium-containing seasonings you may add. Excess sodium may cause you to retain more water and interfere with your medications.
Potassium Content

A quarter teaspoon of Morton's Lite Salt contains 360 milligrams of potassium and 300 milligrams of sodium, compared to no potassium and 575 mg of sodium in regular table salt. Both potassium and sodium are important electrolytes in your body. Their concentrations are closely regulated inside and outside of your cells because they enable electricity to flow across cell membranes, making possible heart, nerve and muscle activity, according to the Linus Pauling Institute.
Hyperkalemia

Lite Salt may not be suitable for you if you are suffering from problems that prevent your body from eliminating excess potassium in your urine. These problems include acute or chronic kidney failure, tissue damage from serious burns and trauma, rupture of red blood cells, and the use of drugs like potassium-conserving diuretics, anticoagulants, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents. You should also avoid Lite Salt if you have excessively high blood levels of aldosterone, an adrenal hormone that decreases the urinary excretion of potassium.
Side Effects

Healthy individuals are able to safely eliminate excess potassium. Side effects associated with potassium supplements, such as abdominal discomfort, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, are are mostly associated with potassium chloride tablets. If you are using Lite Salt because of blood pressure problems, you should also check food labels for sodium content. Processed foods often contain added sodium. and consult your doctor if you have questions concerning the use of salt substitutes.
Sponsored Links