Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 19:37
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Lightbulb Apitherapy -- let a bee sting you to relieve pain!

Apitherapy -- let a bee sting you!

It was really warm today, all kinds of insects including bees (honeybees) buzzing round. So I took
the opportunity of applying 8 bees today, 20 min or more apart.
Two to my lower back, the rest just below the belly button on my gut.
It gave me a good feeling!
Most of the stings just felt like a Tennessee "sweat bee" but two of them were quite memorable LOL!! YMMV

It's too soon to tell, but my badly bruised and swollen right foot from a recent heifer calf stomp is not bothering me at all right now.

The 1st sting I got on my upper arm by accident, about a fortnight ago, honeybee was attracted to my deodorant? Next day was a bit miserable with a red and swollen upper bicep that itched, but then I noticed all my age related aches 'n pains plus chronic tinnitus (that annoying ear ringing plus hearing loss) had vanished! Thats when I Googled it -- LOL

Anyone else had an experience like this? I heard "Bee Sting Therapy" can even cure RA, type II diabetes, and Parkinson's.

FYI: the pain from a honeybee is much less than a "yellow jacket" and way way less than a scorpion's 2nd strength sting

In most cases I wasn't entirely sure she had stung me at all -- until I saw the barb and venom sack in my skin. The barb can be removed with tweezers or just carefully scraped off. It comes out much easier than a cactus spine does.

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, Dec-22-15 at 19:59. Reason: formatting
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-15, 08:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

It makes sense. Sort of similar to other things that can reduce pain, like cold or heat, whether actual or chemical. I used to use toothpaste or hot sauce as cheap alternatives to over the counter balms, when my shoulder was really bad. I got a lot of relief from full flush niacin as well. Giving the body something else to feel can really help.

I also wonder if distracting the immune system sort of helps with something like this. Maybe the macrophages etc. involved in inflammation are sort of a limited resource? High volume workouts seem to help with the shoulder thing as well.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-15, 08:33

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

About a decade ago a swarm of bees came to rest in one of our palm trees. Instead of calling an exterminator I called a bee keeper to remove them. This young man was uber enthusiastic about bees. He told me bee keepers rarely get arthritis. Beekeepers often get stung and there is something in the venom that offers protection against arthritis. Maybe some anti-inflammatory factor? I didn't know whether to believe him, but you seem to have gotten relief. The beekeeper said there are many benefits to honey, bee pollen, royal jelly and stings. Nature is pretty amazing!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-15, 09:53
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

My family always kept bees, and my paternal grandfather put bees to his knees regularly for their sting. I'm guessing it helped with pain. This is anecdotal only, as I have no idea of the medical efficacy.