Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 10:15
Carpe Diem

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/260/185 Male 70
BF:42/33.7/25
Progress: 40%
Default Duke's Mayo in Midwest

I had been looking for Duke's Mayo in SE Wisconsin and had trouble finding it in a nearby store, so I ordered 2 quarts from Amazon for $16.00. I know I paid too much for it, but I need a sugar free product for dressings. I don't use that much mayo overtime so $16.00 is a bit much. I did find Duke's online at Walmart for $11.93, but that is still almost $6.00 a quart. I was wondering what the going rate for Duke's is on the store shelf and if anybody has found it in a store in SE WI that sells it. I don't care to drive a long ways to a store as that would probably cost as much as getting it on-line.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 13:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Joe,

Duke's store finder: http://dukesmayo.com/stores.asp
Appears you can cross a state line to bootleg it

A quart is about $4.50 in a store in NC.

That said, I haven't bought mayo in years because I avoid all soybean products and all processed seed oils. Mayo is very easy to make and tastes so much better!
Forgot how mayo fits in with Dr. Bernstein's diet, but Dr. Westman's version of Atkins limits mayo to 2 Tablespoons a day... so two quarts would last you a very, very long time The New Atkins book doesn't have a specific amount on a list for fats, but does have an insert box titled "Savor, Don't Smother" giving reasonable guidelines for fat intake.

This post might get more views in the LC products section.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Oct-11-15 at 13:24.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 13:37

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yeah, in my unenlightened days I used to buy a GIANT bottle of Duke's mayo when I visited my sister in NC, just because it was sugar-free. I mean the amount of sugar in something like Hellman's mayo is so minimal that really it's not worth worrying about, but it was the principle of the thing.

Now I live in a place where Duke's is on the shelf in every grocert and I won't touch it with a ten foot pole! No sotbean oil for me! Too bad as I love Duke's ~ much better than my homemade mayo, but at least the homemade stuff has better ingredients.

Last edited by Merpig : Sun, Oct-11-15 at 13:44.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 15:17

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

What do you guys use to make your own? We use sunflower oil but it's still PUFFAs.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 15:59
Carpe Diem

Serious buyers remorse setting in. I know that the un-opened one will eventually end up in a food drive barrel. At least it won't go to waste.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 20:17

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I have a serious question for you guys. What is the problem with soybean oil?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 03:38

The avoidance of industrial seed oils is a Paleo rule rather than a LC one. Dr Westman recommends Duke's mayo, but I have avoided all soybean products since having breast cancer four years before going low carb. Duke's is very popular with our LC support group..more my own personal and paleo twist to the plan. Keep it, mayo definitely helps meat and cheese roll-ups and canned fish taste

And try Lynne's Pimento Cheese...recipe uses a whole cup of mayo in one go!
http://www.lowcarbconversations.com...y-lisa-osowski/
good for holiday parties.

Here's a very good summary of the foods considered "toxins" by Chris Kresser
http://chriskresser.com/beyond-paleo-2/
... Listing what are usually considered the four most important "non-human" foods to eliminate on paleo; grains, sugar, industrial seed oils and soy.

The industrial seed oils are avoided because of their high Omega 6 content, and soy for 8 other reasons. Most conventional oncologists also suggest avoiding it because:
1 " Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women." And
2. "Soy can stimulate the growth of estrogen-dependent tumors and cause thyroid problems, especially in women."

Mayo: I use Bertolli Extra Light Olive Oil and this recipe: http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/h...ake-mayonnaise/

Extra light olive oil is refined but Bertolli claims it is still 100% olive oil. Who knows? ... but it is in Walmart and many other grocery stores.
The little bit of Dijon gives it a kick, to me it doesn't taste overly "olivey"

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Oct-12-15 at 06:26.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 07:54

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Thanks, Janet. I'm so sorry about the cancer--several members of my family, including my sister, have had it.

Soy is actually recommended by Dr Cristiane Northrup for breast cancer survivors, though. It fills the estrogen receptors and prevents cancer cells from doing so.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 10:55

The research on soy is still mixed for breast cancer..should certainly not use any concentrated forms like protein powders, and I also avoid the processed forms like soy milk and oil. Supposedly natural, fermented products are OK, but it's not like I crave natto instead of a steak.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 21:13

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Wait, this post floors me! I though Duke's was a quintessential Southern product, so how can it have no sugar ?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 03:44

Hard to believe, and they claim it is the only one. But when you add a cup of mayonnaise to cake batter to keep the cake moist, that fixes the missing sugar problem.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-13-15 at 03:51.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 16:13
Carpe Diem

Janet, thank you for the mayo recipe. I prefer olive oil anyway over most oils. Now I have to go out and buy an immersion blender. I probably could have bought one for what I spent on the Duke's mayo. Oh well, if I don't use the Dukes mayo I know of many food pantries, so it won't go to waste.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 02:27

I bought the immersion blender after seeing raves for it for making mayo on this forum. A food processor works just as well if you have one of those but does require cleaning all its clunky parts. With an immersion blender, You can make the mayo right in any straight sided jar with lid and pop it in the fridge. Only clean-up is the blade section of blender. Blenders are also good for making creamy soups, vegetable purées, and if you get into it..."bulletproof" type fatty coffees in the morning.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 06:27

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I also use Bertolli extra light olive oil, a stick blender, and make the mayo right in the jar I store it in. Easy peasy. I use a basic mayo recipe from Nourishing Traditions, and try to avoid all high-PUFA oils though not always possible if you are out. At Publix the other day I found a bottle of clear liquid coconut oil. I'm curious how they do that. Ingredient list just says "coconut oil" and nothing else. I might try it for mayo. However I need to try it first to see if it affects me like MCT oil, which has always made me feel as if someone is slashing knives through my gut.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-17-15, 18:54

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Wait, this post floors me! I though Duke's was a quintessential Southern product, so how can it have no sugar ?

I saw the Duke's title in this thread and had to see what was going on...
this makes me laugh - I spent 5 months in Atlanta earlier this year, learning about the South (yes, can we say Sugah???) - and Dukes mayo was touted as the best, so I got some and had to agree, it was really good. I can't get it here, but I do have to agree that making your own mayo is so good. I used to try different recipes for it.
Thanks, Janet for posting the Paleo info - I didn't know that either about soy.
Kat