Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-14, 16:01

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%
Default Where is the best online place to order whole foods?

Where is the best online place to order things like flax, chia, nuts and other whole foods. Our local HFS is becoming just to expensive!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-14, 16:12

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I buy mine at amazon, from their mechants..... but sometimes it means paying S&H on each item, unless I can get everyone from one merchant. Just takes a lot of time and patience to hunt down the best deal, but I love the thrill of the hunt....

I'd love to know a cheap place online too where I could get everything I wanted.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-14, 16:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Check Netrition and Vitamin Shoppe for prices. They are more expensive than buying at Trader Joe's or Kroger, but don't know how they compare to other on-line pricing.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-14, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Check Netrition and Vitamin Shoppe for prices. They are more expensive than buying at Trader Joe's or Kroger, but don't know how they compare to other on-line pricing.
I will be in Prescott early next week and they have a TJ. Maybe I should wait till I go up?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-14, 17:22

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

Definitely wait until you get to Trader Joes! Then add to your online list Vitacost.com.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-14, 17:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Netrition is my fave, but it might be different depending on where you live. Large selection and free shipping with a minimum order.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-14, 19:06
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 200/152/160 Male 68
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Check Netrition and Vitamin Shoppe

These were always good options for me, I've also used Bob's Red Mill in the past(2004-2005 ish) and I liked what I ordered from them, I'm not sure how much they have changed in recent years. I seem to recall them being under investigation for something, though I'm not sure about that and don't want to throw out allegations I haven't looked into. When I used them, I liked Bob's Red Mill.

But you were talking about "Whole Foods" I assume you mean real food. The best place to get these is grow them yourself, and either raise chickens/cattle/sheep/pigs/fish, or make friends with people that do and buy from them.
This is not possible for many people, you might be able to grow a few veggies, but raising your own live stock/poultry is out of the question if you live in an apartment or condo. I'd say your best bet is reaching out, network the same way you would if you were searching for a job. Find out who offers what, and for what price in your area.

I know that's not much help, but I really don't know of a cheaper way to do what you are asking.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-14, 20:19

Thanks for the suggestions. I will wait for TJ's and compare Vitacost and Vitamin Shoppe for prices. I do occasionally shop Netrition but I can usually do better locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD
But you were talking about "Whole Foods" I assume you mean real food. The best place to get these is grow them yourself, and either raise chickens/cattle/sheep/pigs/fish, or make friends with people that do and buy from them.
I only have an acre--not enough room to grow the flax and chia. Actually I do have a garden and chickens. Also the farmers' market will be open Saturday.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-14, 03:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Wait for TJs. They carry Bob's Red Mill flaxseed meal, their own brand chia, coconut oil, coconut cream, almond flour and nuts (best prices anywhere) and just added coconut flour (still on new product shelf). There are some TJ threads on this board with low carb shopping lists. Stock up!

Edit:found it. The latest TJ thread, and within it a link to a previous TJ thread, and within that, my shopping list .doc
TJ's has been adding many new Paleo/gluten-free offerings. Beside the coconut flour, another one is raw, fermented sauerkraut with Persian cucumber found in the fridge case. (Bring coolers, people come from the beach 2 hours away to our store, looks like they are packing for an Amazon expedition ) Have fun!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=452984

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jun-21-14 at 06:38.