Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 00:56
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 150/145/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation How much Cytomel is safe?

Just curious about how much Cytomel I should add to my Synthyroid medication. I take .175 of synthyroid. My doctor doesn't know much about Cytomel and HE asked ME how much I should be taking. I said 10mg because I had read this somewhere but I'm not sure. I figured I could write you guys and ask you. I can't get 5mg tablets here (tried MANY pharmacies) so they gave me 25 mg tablets that I have to break up. <sigh> The pharmacy called my doctor who then said it was okay for me to take half of this tablet each day. That's more that 10mg of Cytomel. Will I be okay?

Just so I know what to look out for...

1) How do I know if I am taking to much Cytomel? What side effects/symptoms will I notice?

2) How long does it take to get into your system? (I am talking it to help with weight loss and other thyroid related problems and want to know when I can expect some relief.)

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 04:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/179/142 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress:

While I don't know the answer to your question, Summergal, I sure hope someone sends you a post because my story is the same as your and I go to the doctor on Thursday morning.
I still am not sure whether to ask just to add the Cytomel or beg to be changed to Thyrolar. Do you know how expensive the Cytomel is? Course, if you have to break the Cytomel in pieces, a little will go a long way. Keep me posted about how the Cytomel works. The best to you and I hope you feel better AND get the bonus weight loss that some achieve by switching medicines...Connie in NC
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 20:13
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hey Connie,

So far no one has replied but I am hoping someone knows. If I knew what to look out for it I am taking TOO much Cytomel then it would help me know when I should call my doctor and go back to his office.

I haven't had my period since January and three days after starting Cytomel it started. While I never enjoy this time of the month I am hoping that it is a good sign that my system is trying to get back on track. I wish I knew how long it takes before you notice weigiht loss because at some point if nothing happens I will have to go back to my doctor and ask to be switched to another medication. For now I am thinking of holding off on this low carb way of eating. Our family eats very healthy anyway and lowcarbing hasn't made a noticable difference for me in the two months I have been doing it. It just makes my grocery bill larger!

Cytomel is really really cheap Connie. No worries in that department. I think I only had to pay a few dollars for a two months supply. Let me know how your trip to the doctor goes and don't forget to report back on your experience with Cytomel!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 22:15
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Summer I take 4 5 mcg a day , two in the am and two in the afternoon. Your Doctor should know how much you should take . Is he/she an Endo?
Here's what to look for and I got info off www.cytomel.com
Possible side effects are: heart palpitation, trembling, irregular heartbeat, heart oppression, agita-tion, shortness of breath, excretion of sugar through the urine, excessive perspiration, diarrhea, weight loss, psychic disorders, etc., as well as symptoms of hypersensitivity." Our experience is that most symptoms consist of trembling of hands, nausea, headaches, high perspiration, and increased heartbeat. These negative side effects can often be eliminated by temporarily reducing the daily dosage. Hope this helps. Cytomel here is 80 dollars for 30 day supply for me. I copay 40 ouch!

Last edited by surfer376 : Tue, Mar-16-04 at 22:21.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 22:33
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

You can order 5 mcg cytomel from here...it's a Canadian site
click here
and another one
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 22:45
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Here's another link that may answer your questions.
click here
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 13:46
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much surfer! Can I ask how long you were on Cytomel for before you noticed a decrease in your weight?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 20:10
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Summer I have been on it about 5 months now but along with that I changed my diet and started working out with weights and cardio about two months ago...so it's hard to say if it was the cytomel or the other things. Also I was on Armour before that and it has T4 and T3 in it. I have lost 40 pounds since I found out I had a thyroid problem and 24 of that since this past Christmas.
Give it a try what do you have to lose...except the weight..lol. Let me know how it goes...have a great day!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 13:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/132/110 Female 5'5
BF:37%
Progress: 45%
Question Perscription...

I live in Canada...do you need a perscription for Cytomel or can you just buy it on line? I'm taking Synthroid 112 mcg. right now but would like to add Cytomel in....
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 13:40
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

I live in the states and I need a script...I don't know about Canada..maybe you could go to the websites above to find out.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 13:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/132/110 Female 5'5
BF:37%
Progress: 45%
Talking

Thanks I will be sure to check it out. I want to see an Endo. but my doctor is being a jerk...saying my levels are fine and that I don't need to see one. I need a referral to see an Endo I believe?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 14:28
Registered Member

Stats: 192/179/142 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress:

Hello all!

My doctor changed (at my begging) my medication from 100 mg Synthroid to Cytomel, I asked if if should be taking both and he thought just one of them. I have mail order medicine (to get a 90 day supply) so it will take about 2 weeks to get it.
I am supposed to take 50mg a day. I will let you know how I feel after I start taking it.
How are you feeling on it, Summergal?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 16:08
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

So far I haven't noticed any real changes. I guess it must need time to enter my system.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 11:16

Stats: 228/228/150 Female 60
BF:
Progress:

I have been on Cytomel for a month now. As for how much is too much I take four 25mcg a day along with one .1 mg levothyroxine. I go to the doctor in aweek and he will probably increase my cytomel. It has been the only thing that has gotten my meomry back. I have hashimoto disease I was at stroke level before I was sent to endo.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-11, 03:34

Plan: grain free and raw
Stats: 264/253/40 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:
Default Cytomel User and Dr. Says

Cytomel is the best synthetic thyroid med. Armour is best natural.
I have been on 100mcg of Cytomel for 5 years now and I will increase to 125 tomorrow. When I was on synthroid I was on 200mg and it did nothing but keep me barely above comatose.
If you are combining the 2 you are going to have to know how you feel. If you start out feeling better and then get major symptoms of hyperthyroidism than you may need to reduce or better yet use cytomel only.
I have not found a single patient that doesnt do best on armour or cytomel.