Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 19:20
Pending Member

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 152/150/130
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default What can I drink?

I am drinking sooooo much water. Is there anything else I can drink? I have a diet soda every so often as a treat, which I know is not good for me, but I need something sweet and that seems to be the only solution.

Is there a protein drink (commercial or homemade) that I can drink on the anti-candida diet?

I have seen some with whey powder, which I do not know if I can have.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 21:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/260/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I don't know but I drink my Atkins Shake in the morning, and I add whole cream to it and artificial flavoring sugar free (more strawberry). I drink on occasion, diet rite or diet hansens soda made with splenda vs aspartame (bad aspartame) and I drink coffee with cream.
Also I do know that Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Lite is made with splenda, thus no sugar, but still carbs from cranberries/raspberries, but it is also very good.

You probably can make your own sodas using flavorings (sugar free) and club soda water... I do that, and I make cool aide using splenda or sugar twin. (buying hansens or diet rite is cheaper where I live)

But... water is bestest!

Laurie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 21:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile whey protein shakes

A good quality isolated, ultra-filtered whey protein shake powder should be ok to consume with your candida ... because the casein protein has been removed in the micro-filtration process. Casein is the protein in cow's milk that's most likely to trigger allergic symptoms. The whey protein is quickly absorbed in the small bowel, and so there's nothing to feed the yeasty beasties in the colon. Adding cream will of course add casein, which will delay absorption and potentially feed the yeast. Isolated soy protein would be acceptable too ... except it tastes like gaaccckkk! and often has added fructose and other sugars added to kill the taste., .. Read the labels carefully. Make sure there are no hidden sugars or glycerine. Most of the better lowcarb whey shake mixes are sweetened with sucralose (Splenda) or acesulfame potassium, which is not absorbed, and will not feed the yeast. Especially look for the term micro or ultra filtered ... or the term HBVP, which means Highest Biological Value Protein. These will have all traces of casein contaminant removed.

As for what else to drink ..... Dr. Crook says artificial sweeteners are ok in moderation. I'd be less worried about feeding the yeast than with consuming too much aspartame for other health reasons. As well, diet sodas contain citrate, and sometimes phosphoric acid. These can trigger allergy symptoms.

There are sugar-free syrups, zero carbs .. sweetened with splenda. Da Vinci, and I do believe Atkins makes these as well. You can choose a fruit-flavoured syrup to add to club soda or mineral water.

I've found lately that Perrier or sodium-free club soda, with a wedge of lemon or lime is more thirst quenching than sweet pop.

Oh, if aspartame doesn't bother you, then a very occasional serving of diet jello might be ok ... it's zero carbs, no sugar for the yeast ... it's just all the artificial colours and flavours added ..

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 13:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/260/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 8%

The Strawberry Atkins has Protein Blend (calcium caseinate, milk protien concentrate, egg albumin, whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein, glutamine peptide)...

These first two ingredients don't sound safe if I'm having a problem with candida???

The Keto Shake, has (whey protein concentrate, milk protein isolate, egg white powder, hydrolyzed whey protein, crossflow microfilteration whey protein isolate)
Is this any better?

So, it looks like the Keto Shake might be better than the Atkins one. What is the difference between Atkins, milk protein concentrate and Keto, milk protein isolate?

That's interesting because I've choosen the Atkins over the Keto, because the Keto shakes tend to leave me itching and burning in unmentionable places and the Atkins does not. hmmmm.....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 21:19
Forum Founder

BF:

Laurie, it's a YMMV thing.

For ellbeegee, her candida is severe, and potential allergic triggers might warrant being avoided. For you, if you are consuming the Atkins shakes without symptoms, then by all means, continue to do so.

.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-01, 13:28
Pending Member

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 152/150/130
BF:
Progress: 9%
Talking

Delayed thanks Doreen. You ARE the candida guru.

LBG
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-01, 10:18

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default I'm a bit lost

I'm a bit lost. Where can I find information on the basics of an anti-Candida diet, and how do I know if I have this problem?

Thanks for any help,
Missydog
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-01, 10:34
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile hi missydog

Please check the very first message thread in this forum, "Resources for Candida-related illness, IBS and IBD". I searched the web, and catalogued what I felt were the best lowcarb and non-lowcarb resources for Candida and related health issues, irritable bowel, etc. Read through ... many of the sites include questionnaires and other tools to help determine if Candida MIGHT be a concern for you. You can't self-diagnose ... you need a doctor or board-certified naturopath and specific lab tests to be done. However, you may choose to follow an anti-
candida diet ... and if you feel better, great. It may well be that you have a sensitivity to yeasts.

Hope the info is helpful..

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-11, 14:15

Plan: My own
Stats: 215/188/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default What can I drink

I found that drinking warm (not hot hot) Chicken, Beef, or Vegatable Stock is a good replacement for coffee. I became so sick for a while that anything with any kind of acid made me very ill. I can only tolerate so much water, so in my miserable state I found a brand of soup stock that didn't have any yeast, msg, gluten and is not autolyzed or hydrolyzed. It tastes great. I add just a little bit of poultry seasoning for my own particular taste, but you do as you wish. Good health to you!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-11, 14:20
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydog
I'm a bit lost. Where can I find information on the basics of an anti-Candida diet, and how do I know if I have this problem?

Thanks for any help,
Missydog

Although this seems to be an old thread . . . since it was recently revived, I'll add my two cents.

I'm also a big fan of Dr Rona's book "The Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook" by Jeannette Martin and Dr Z Rona. 2nd edition.

It tells you how you can tell if you have Candida, what to eat, a guideline diet and recipes.