Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-15, 05:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/145/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default Palm Breeze?

I heard that the new canned adult beverage Palm Breeze mandarin pineapple is 0 carbs. Can this be true? There is no nutritional info on any of the packaging, but it does say gluten free. I want to enjoy some fresh summer drinks on my least week of summer break, but I am not taking a sip til I know for sure!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 05:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortboxer
I heard that the new canned adult beverage Palm Breeze mandarin pineapple is 0 carbs. Can this be true? There is no nutritional info on any of the packaging, but it does say gluten free. I want to enjoy some fresh summer drinks on my least week of summer break, but I am not taking a sip til I know for sure!

Palm Breeze "flavored malt beverage" has roughly 222 calories and 34g carbs (sugar) per can. There is a submission at MFP where the person who made the entry put only the calories and left everything else "0". Of course, that's the one Gooogle has featured on its search results page .

There is nothing on the product website nor any other promotional page making a "gluten free" claim. It's described as a malt beverage or "flavored beer", suggesting it's made from grains and therefore NOT gluten free.

If you're concerned about carb/sugar intake, then this is definitely one to AVOID
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 06:25

BF:
Progress:

Doreen- appreciate your response. Thanks. I am steering clear, sounds too good to be true anyway. The can does say gluten free...but that doesn't always imply carb free does it? Plus, I thought food & drink were required to have a nutritional label...whats up with that?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 07:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortboxer
The can does say gluten free...but that doesn't always imply carb free does it?
Gluten is a type of protein (not a carb) found in certain grains .. wheat, rye, triticale, spelt, kamut and barley. Pure sugar, sweet fruits and juices, rice and potatoes are naturally gluten free, but they're definitely high in carbs!

Quote:
Plus, I thought food & drink were required to have a nutritional label...whats up with that?
In the US, alcoholic beverages aren't subject to FDA labeling regulations. Instead, they're covered by the "Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau" (TTB). At the present time, it's completely voluntary for manufacturers to provide ingredient lists and/or nutrient facts on the labels of alcoholic beverages .. http://www.ttb.gov/rulings/2013-2.pdf.

Here's their proposed paper regarding the use of "gluten free' on alcoholic beverages .. http://www.ttb.gov/announcements/gl...nnouncement.pdf
Quote:
Consistent with the new FDA regulations, TTB will continue to consider “gluten-free” label claims for alcohol beverages that are made from gluten-containing grains to be misleading to consumers who are seeking to avoid the consumption of gluten for health reasons. However, products made from gluten-containing grains may be labeled with a statement that the product was “Processed,” “Treated,” or “Crafted” to remove gluten, if that claim is made together with a qualifying statement that warns the consumer that the gluten content of the product cannot be determined and that the product may contain gluten.

Caveat emptor, and all that
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 10:43

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for schooling me...appreciate you taking the time! Guess I'm stuck with my homemade sugar free spritzers!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 11:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I find it easiest and cheapest to just mix myself, too, although here in Canada, there are many lower-cal/low-sugar drinks with the nutrition facts on the label. I'm actually disappointed in almost all of them. Smirnoff Ice Light, for example, just tastes like vodka and 7-up and not like the original version. I think they know that if they're going to market to nutrition-conscious people, they'd lose too many people like me (us) without including the numbers on the label.