Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-11, 20:45

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default CD57 low

Anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-11, 07:40

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Some call that a Lyme disease 'test'. It's quite..um..how to say..unpredictable.

A low CD-57 can be related to all Tick Borne Diseases, Lyme, co-infections and possibly even viral co-infections

I have several autoimmune diseases and mine comes back at a 34...and I don't have any tick borne disease. Just to give you an example.

It's also called the 'Stricker panel' and can react if you have ANY infection AT ALL in the body. For THAT reason (and the HUGE discrepancy in lab range!) it's not a 'definitive' test for Lyme and other tick borne diseases.

Here, this might help you:

The range of normal on this test is 60-360. Testing low on this test or below 60 indicates very likely active Lyme Disease. As a Lyme patient we "shoot" for 200 before stopping antibiotics (and of course remission of all symptoms for 4 full months) meaning our subset of natural killer cells (part of our immune system related to Lyme) are strong and healthy and fighting.

A CD57 can be used as a screening test, but only "works" only if it is low. If a CD57 comes back within normal range, it does no rule out Lyme Disease and co-infections. If symptomatic it is always wise to follow up this test with Igenex testing and then still base treatment on symptoms since no test is 100% reliable.

For an excellent explanation of the CD-57 read page 8 of the August 2006 issue of Public Health Alert for "All you wanted to know about the CD-57" : http://www.publichealthalert.org/2nd%20 ... pdf#page=8

Also see Dr. Burrascano's CD57 table on page 6: http://www.betterhealthguy.com/images/s ... me2007.pdf

AND..I just kind of feel that 'there is no one definitive test' for certain things. Just like the 'TSH test' doesn't show if you REALLY are hypothyroid or hyperthyroid, and just like the 'FSH test' doesn't really tell you if you are menopausal (TSH doesn't show your hormone LEVELS, and FSH doesn't show your hormone LEVELS), this test doesn't 'prove or disprove' um...anything...OH< WAIT..except that you had enough money to pay for the test.

Sorry that's not more 'helpful'.