Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 11:29

Plan: ---
Stats: 165/165/165 Male 185cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Garlic - Candida die-off?

Hello,

I am not diagnosed with candida but recently I decided to start eating 1-3 garlic cloves daily. At the beginning (1 clove daily) I didn't have any significant problems, maybe some gas. Then I started with 2-3 cloves daily and about 8 hours after the garlic intake I developed moderate to heavy stomach cramps. Could this be related to candida? If I had a garlic allergy or intolerance the symptoms would show up immediately and not 8 hours later, wouldn't they?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 14:32

Plan: n/a
Stats: 120/120/110 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default New to this

Hi All,

This information is very new to me. I have been batteling what I think is IBS... no way to really know since there is not an actual test that I know of and have found throughout the years I NEED to take a probiotic to help with some issues.. never put two and two together that my IBS can be caused by candida. I am hope I am understanding this right. I am someone who can not imagine living without my sweets or carbs (potatoes and french fries) but I also cant imagine always feeling bloated, always feeling constipated etc... I have a few questions.. is there an at home test I can do to see if my IBS is caused by candida? Also, if I do this diet to rid myself of candida do I have to stay on it forever? Once I get rid of candida will it be gone forever? please please please help. I also live in Florida if anyone knows of any doctors here that can help I would be so appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
Nikki
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 18:10
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I can eat cooked or baked garlic, but the raw stuff does just as you describe.
Quote:
Raw garlic is very powerful and can affect the digestive tract. Sometimes, after a good dose, I can literally feel the garlic side effect of my stomach being ‘on fire’ for a while. Garlic juice can ‘burn’ your stomach and digestive tract, too, so do be careful.
http://www.all4naturalhealth.com/ga...de-effects.html

Also you may not have IBS but SIBO -- mine has cleared up for now after a ten day course of antibiotics.

http://www.endfatigue.com/health_ar...stic_colon.html

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Jul-24-10 at 18:21.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-10, 14:15

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

~cfs

if you really would like to do an experiment, try what my friend did a few years ago. She ate one and a half entire garlic flowers and had severe gastro-intestinal distress for days. Also her entire body itched. I laughed when I found out about it, because a couple years earlier I had done the same thing with half a garlic. It made me itch something fierce for about half an hour.

So there is a lesson here I think, and that is to go easy on the garlic.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 13:25
Registered Member

Plan: McCombs Plan
Stats: 150/135/150 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki28
Hi All,

This information is very new to me. I have been batteling what I think is IBS... no way to really know since there is not an actual test that I know of and have found throughout the years I NEED to take a probiotic to help with some issues.. never put two and two together that my IBS can be caused by candida. I am hope I am understanding this right. I am someone who can not imagine living without my sweets or carbs (potatoes and french fries) but I also cant imagine always feeling bloated, always feeling constipated etc... I have a few questions.. is there an at home test I can do to see if my IBS is caused by candida? Also, if I do this diet to rid myself of candida do I have to stay on it forever? Once I get rid of candida will it be gone forever? please please please help. I also live in Florida if anyone knows of any doctors here that can help I would be so appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
Nikki

Chances are very strong that if you do have IBS, it is a sign that your body has too much candida. To answer your questions, no the diet does not need to be permanent. Once you have eliminated the candida and replenished your gut flora (probiotics), you should be able to once again enjoy the foods that now cause you problems. It is strongly recommended that you enjoy them in moderation however. The key to keeping candida at bay is maintaining good digestive health. Sugar is taxing on the digestive system and feeds candida. Having a strong baseline defense of healthy gut flora goes a long way though in keeping candida in check so that you can handle sugars in your diet. Again, I stress the moderation though.

I would recommend you do an internet search of homeopathic doctors in your area, especially ones that specialize in digestive health. They are usually licensed and listed as chiropractors. Try to read some reviews before hand too because like regular doctors, there are good ones and bad ones. People are people no matter what they do for a living. Anyway, my IBS symptoms have all but vanished since I started my anti-candida plan.

If you are looking for a recommended plan, I'd suggest www.mccombsplan.com as a good resource and plan. I've had nothing but positive results with it. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 06:13

Plan: Gluten Free low carb
Stats: 158.2/133.5/120 Female 63 inches
BF:28.03/21.17/21.26
Progress: 65%

I agree wholeheartedly with the poster above. Garlic is not only an antifungal but an anti-parasitic as well - and is excellent for sorting out a problem gut. I have candida and have been treating it for 10 months so far. It is a long term thing. Rotation of anti-fungals, raw or nearly raw garlic, olive leaf extract, oregano oil and coconut oil are all really good for them. Low Carb diet is also excellent though Dairy is a no-no. Probiotics are also excellent at crowding the candida/parasites etc out. You have to take these a few hours apart from anti-fungals and keep taking them for weeks after the anti-fungals are stopped. By all accounts you should treat yourself with diet for as long as you have been feeling IBS for and then a bit longer. Apparently a month healing equates to a year with Candida. Many more places on the internet have superb information but be careful - read carefully and pick and use your anti-fungals carefully as you may have reactions such as this with Garlic. Make sure you supplement... use fitday or similar to find out where your vit/mineral gaps are. Hope this helps!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 08:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Food intolerances are not immediate. Allergies are immediate. The food actually has to make contact with some part of the intestines, usually, before symptoms appear. That can take many hours.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 09:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Yes, food intolerances and sensitivities are different from allergies in that they involve different levels of immune response. They are all born however from a confused immune system, usually resulting from a digestive health problem. There are methods that homeopathic doctors use to desensitize our bodies to allergens and irritants that are truly not harmful to you. I'm undergoing one of those treatments now for my gluten sensitivity. It follows the principle that like cures like. Its similar to how vaccinations work where you give your body small doses of a bacteria or virus to allow your body to learn how to deal with it. They gave me a small bottle of a grain based liquid and I just take a few drops under my tongue on an empty stomach twice a day. Over time, my body will learn that these grains are not a threat and it will no longer react to them by unleashing antibodies every time I eat gluten. Its cool stuff.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 11:32

Plan: n/a
Stats: 120/120/110 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default Thank You!!!

Hi everyone.. thank you so much for the wealth of information!! I am so happy that I wrote on here. I just bought a good probiotic and am now in the process of looking for recipes. I am def. going to go to the site your rec. me to Sean. Also, I might look for a good homeopathic dr. if this doesn't work out for me Sean, do you have celiac or just an intolerance.. how awesome for your treatments.. I hope it really works out for you
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 12:05
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Nikki. To answer your question I just have food intolerances thanks to leaky gut. Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to ask any questions you may have. If there is one thing I have learned about candida and leaky gut, its that the mainstream conventional medical community pretty much ignores them. This makes it difficult to find good information. Sites like this are valuable because it allows us to pool our knowledge and learn from each others experiences. Best of luck.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 18:04
Registered Member

Plan: I eat complex carbs
Stats: 125/102/110 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 153%

I can not do garlic. I get so sick to my stomach that I almost throw up.
To heal my candida, I did a lot of different antifungals on a rotation basis.

You can check my blog... My Journey With Candida and it has the antifungals I used.