Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-09, 09:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/160/160 Male 73in
BF:
Progress:
Default Candida? Need help.

Over the last 4 years, I had symptoms of chest tightness, shortness of breath and lightheadedness that would randomly come and stay for 30mins to an hour and dissapear. i didn't really see any triggers for it. Sometimes it would come after eating high carb foods though. During that time, I also developed high blod pressure for no appearent reason. Doctors couln't find anything. A few month ago my symptoms got a lot worse and left me bed bound for a couple of month. Problems with increased heart rate severe lightheadedness, fatigue, white covered tounge ontop of my other symptoms. I was always pretty active and worked out. So after complete cardio work up and several er visits, nobody could tell me whats wrong. I found out about candida a few months ago and started on the diet and my symptoms have kinda improved. Enough to get to work. I am able to do things myself again and not be dependent on others. But my symptoms havent really gone away yet. Looking back, it seems that my symptoms always got worse about 3 month after I had dental work done. Any suggestions would be great.

Mike
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-09, 13:19

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

What kind of dental work? There's a big overlap between candida symptoms and symptoms of heavy metal toxicity. Oh, and fluoride too. Did you get amalgam fillings or fluoride treatments?

At this point, I've pretty much given up on treating candida per se. There are other conditions such as SIBO, H. Pylori infection and fructose malabsorption that are pretty much identical to candida overgrowth in their symptoms. I've been low-carbing for about 4 years, on a very strict diet for food intolerances, and I've still got some stomach gas and burping (though fine-tuning my fat intake has finally made me regular).

Personally I think it's more likely that I have H. Pylori and low stomach acid, which do go together. I've heard recommendations for more iodine/fewer goitrogens, and for taking HCl supplements. I don't like taking supplements, so I'm using a slower method of trying to maintain sufficient salt intake and always eat something acidic with every meal (lemon juice and sauerkraut mostly).
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 15:26

Plan: Generally Atkins
Stats: 180/180/154 Female 5ft 7 ins
BF:
Progress:

I had exactly the same symptoms a few years ago, and it turned out to be Candida.

It was cured easily, but I don't think anyone here is going to like the method. I used the potent thrush killer tablets... Great results, and I'd do it again, but can't see anyone here appreciating that solution...

I'll get back under the lurkers rock...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-09, 16:10

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid UK
I had exactly the same symptoms a few years ago, and it turned out to be Candida.

It was cured easily, but I don't think anyone here is going to like the method. I used the potent thrush killer tablets... Great results, and I'd do it again, but can't see anyone here appreciating that solution...

I'll get back under the lurkers rock...

I think anyone here is willing to listen to ANYTHING that has worked (also any contraindictions!)--lol! What are potent thrush killer tablets? Something that you can get only in the UK? What are the ingredients?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-09, 14:10

Plan: candida control
Stats: 168/165/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Do you have, and are you still getting silver mercury fillings? If so, this could be the reason for the escalation of symptoms after the dental visits. Mercury kills your good bacteria and leaves room for the bad to overgrow. I had this problem over 20 years ago, and had to go have all of the amalgam removed and replaced with composite. It took me about a year to get back to some kinda "normal." Then almost three years ago, stress caused the candida overgrowth again, and that is what I'm battling now. I do pretty well most of the time, but I hate the die-off symptoms when I cheat. I rotate antifungals such as caprilyc acid, CandiClear5, garlic, oil of oregano, etc., to keep the candida fooled, and in doing so, each 5 days that I change, if I'm not on a strict diet, I experience dieoff with pounding heart, frequent urination, dizziness, and a very shaky feeling in my stomach. Usually lasts about 3 - 8 hours, though. One thing that seems to help a little bit is Pepto Bismol with the symptoms. Or an aspirin. Don't take an anti-fungal OR a probiotic when you're having symptoms, because for me, they intensify them.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-09, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/160/160 Male 73in
BF:
Progress:

I recently got my amalgams (3) replaced with composites. The dentist used proper procedures. about 2 days after that my liver was aching and has since. Some of the symptoms improved after amalgam removal. Right now it seems that my body is trying to get rid of the mercury and the liver is overworked. I tried milk thistle but didn't help.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-09, 13:24

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Maybe Vitamin D/K2 would help?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-09, 15:47

Plan: my own
Stats: 151.5/142.0/125 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:?
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla
I think anyone here is willing to listen to ANYTHING that has worked (also any contraindictions!)--lol! What are potent thrush killer tablets? Something that you can get only in the UK? What are the ingredients?

Itraconazole
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-09, 19:24

Plan: No caffeine, no alcohol
Stats: 175/154/150 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 84%

You know, you may not have a systemic candida infection or problems related to candida overgrowth.
Best to see a naturopathic doctor or other doctor and make sure of what's going on versus self diagnosis.

That said, one book you may want to check out is "Feast without yeast".

"Oil of oregano" is the best of the herbal antifungals by far imo. It is the real deal. It kills pretty much everything pathogenic including candida, rapidly. A little goes a long way.

One of the biggest factors in disease according to many is excessive "stress", which interferes with the bodys natural ability to take out pathogenic bacteria, fungus and virus. So, don't obsess, stress and freak yourself out with this candida stuff. Everyone has some candida.

Good luck!

Last edited by tomsey : Fri, Oct-16-09 at 23:02.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-24-09, 16:17

Plan: none specific
Stats: 152/148/125 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

I'm just starting the McCombs Plan to address the candida after limited success on my own. I lost 4 lbs the first week and have more energy, but its too early to tell about the rest yet. Will keep you posted.