Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 06:21
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Question Figuring High/Low Glycemic Formula

Hi,

I just took the Monticnac book from the library yesterday. Admittedly I have not thoroughly read it so I might have missed something. I can't seem to figure the formula for figuring out how much eating a low gy index food with a high index food, reduces the count of the high index.

Hope I dont sound to confusing, but what I mean is when he says that you can reduce the effect of eating something high like corn if you eat a low index food like green lentils, but I can't seem to find a formula to figure out how much the counts would be reduced and how much of the low foods to eat to achieve this.

Or is this worth bothering about, does it just sort of even itself out. I think this sounds like a workable plan, I enjoy eating whole grain products and legumes and because of IBS really need to (I know some people find relief on low carb diets but for me if I work slowly up to high fibre I manage my IBS)

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:18

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

Unfortunately, its not a precise science!

The GI measurement all depends on body type / precise food type etc etc.

Phase 1 of the montignac you should not be eating any High GI foods at all. This is the weight loss stage.

Phase 2 is where you can counterbalance a little high GI food with a lot of low GI food.

I'd thoroughly recommend the book i mentioned on my other post in reply, I can give you more details about it if you like.

It describes a lot more about high / low GI and goes into more detail about the more important Glycemic LOAD of foods, that Montiganc books only seem to touch on.

I'd also recommend giving the book a thorough read - there are a lot of subtle nuances that you may miss (trust me... i did!)

Hope this helps!

Spang
btw - re your post into orange lentils - give me a little while, and i'll look into it, ok?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:37
Stepford Malfunction

Thax a lot Spang;

I'll dig into the Montignac book some more and check out the other one you mentioned as soon as I can. Thanks about the lentils too. For some reason I have always used the orange ones maybe because those are what my Mother used, we are Scottish even though I live in Canada now.

off to read some more.....
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 04:35
Stepford Malfunction

Thumbs up The New Glucose Revolution

Hi Spang

Amazingly enough I got it, went through 2 used book stores and finally in Coles Books, just as I was about to give up (was actually turning to go to cookbook section) out of the corner of my eye I spied it and scooped up the last copy in the store

I did not buy the Montignac Method as it's 18.00 Can. and I have till Mar 19 on the one I borrowed so by then I should have it down pretty pat and if not hopefully I can renew from lib. As it is I came home with 13 diet related books yesterday. The pickins at the used stores were just too good. I was a bit exhausted by the time I was done yestererday - what with all the book buying - and then all the label reading and grocery shopping - by the time I got done putting everything away and cooking 1 dinner for son and his friend and one for me and DH and considering I got up at like 11:00 pm the night before, well I just crashed and woke up surrounded by a pile of books, looked at them in a daze and thought -this must be what someone who awakes from a big drunk feels like - I had this sort of myGod what I have I done kind of feeling- like I had totally forgotton buying all those books!!!!

My husband also picked up for me a little mini-magazine type thing. preventions -weight loss its a monthly publication I believe and this month is all hyped up about glycemic indexes and lo-carbing this way. So maybe this forum will be seeing more action soon, its possible that the new trend in dieting will be to swing away from Atkins to more of Montignac Method.

Jee I do ramble

Last edited by KoKo : Sat, Mar-01-03 at 04:37.