Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 16:16

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 160/151/123 Female 62 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 24%
Exclamation Need Help!

I don't have time to fix breadfast in the mornings. I need something that I can throw in the microwave or toaster while I pull up my hair. Any ideas?
Also I have a problem cheating becase I really like sweet stuff. I tried a somersizing recipe for muffins, but it was really gross! I need some ideas for sweet pro/fat snacks.
Thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 16:38
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%
Default I can help!

Hi Heebeejo!

I normally cook big breakfasts on the weekends only. I don't have any time either...These are what I have to eat during the work week either before leaving for work or after I get to work.

Fruit wait 20 mins., Bran Flakes w/ FF Milk

Fruit smoothie wait 20 mins., toasted whole wheat english muffin with fat free cottage cheese sprinkled with somersweet and cinnamon!

Big fruit salad

Whole wheat toast with a tomato slice and s&p

There is a cake mix that you can buy and have it for breakfast! I will get the website. They talk about it at the OS (offical site-SuzanneSomers.com)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 16:59

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Lightbulb How about hot cereal?

1/2 cup Grape nuts with some skim milk and a packet of Splenda nuked for 30 seconds is DELICIOUS!

Another one I love is to take a whole grain flake kind of cereal, add skim milk and then sprinkle it with cinnamon/Splenda (or your choice of sweetener) and heat it for 30 seconds in the microwave.

If you have Suzanne's Fast and Easy book, make her cream cheese pancakes on the weekend or at night (they have cinnamon and sweetener in them) and then refrigerate them. They can be reheated in nothing flat or eaten cold as a snack anytime and are SUPER yummy! You can get creative with those in terms of flavors too, or you can make them savory by leaving out the sweetener and adding in chopped onions, bacon or crumbled sausage plus seaonings of your choice. They might even freeze, though I've never tried!

In that same book she has a recipe for orange cream cheese frosting. Use FF cream cheese (as in the book) to frost bread or tortillas and full fat Cream cheese for the pro/fats pancakes above. You could make any flavor frosting, it doesn't just have to be orange.

Buy yourself some legal bread, like Ezekiel, toast it and smear some fat free cream cheese on instead of butter. Smuckers makes four flavors of SF jams that can go on carbs. Suzanne has said berries are so low in sugar that they are almost a "free food" so the SF berry jams should be legal carbs.

Sprinkle cinnamon/splenda on a moistened whole grain tortilla, roll it up and toast it (if you have a toaster oven) or nuke it for a quick cinnamon roll. Or spread sweet, flavored FF cream cheese on it for a sweet snack.

Mix FF cream cheese with diced veggies, bacon and seasonings and roll it up in pieces of lunchmeat. You can then eat these hot or cold for a quick meal or snack anytime.

Get plain yogurt and add a sugar substitute to it, or get the SF syrups (DiVinci or Torani's) to flavor it. If berries are nearly a free food you could stir some in and still be level one, or almost level one. Make a big batch and then just scoop some into a little container for breakfast or a sweet snack.

Somewhere over in the kitchen section of this site is at least one recipe for making sweetened cinnamon pork rinds. I know, this sounds ikky, but people swear it's great and you can carry a baggy with you just like chips or popcorn. (Good thing to take to the theater, actually)

For chocolate snacks go to WalMart and find Russell Stover sugar free candies. Or go to the Russell Stover site and order them. They make absolutely OUTSTANDING peppermint patties, caramel pecan clusters, truffles, PB cups and they also have three flavors of chocolate creams that are tiny and individually wrapped. (Mint, Raspberry and Orange) Hershey makes SF light and dark chocolate tiny candies and they also make a SF Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in the tiny size. I saw Nestle is now offering SF turtles too. Oh, and the SF Almond Roca is EXCELLENT! All of these are pretty cheap compared to the candy bars you can get.

I think Pure DeLite makes the best candy bars, but there are a jillion of them out there, Atkin's Indulge, CarbSense and many more. You can break them up and eat 1/4 bars for snacks.

For non-chocolate candy treats Life Savers has several flavors of SF candies and the Creme Savers are awesome!

Careful, almost all the prepackaged treats are sweetened with sugar alcohols: Maltitol, Sorbitol, Lacticol etc. These can give you gas and/or diarrhea if you eat too many.

Another sweet snack option, which is much better for you, is to have a fresh fruit snack or a glass of fruit juice.

Hope there are at least one or two things in that list that might work fo you!

Looks like Natasha has some good ideas too. I have heard that the baking mixes she's talking about for no carb cakes and cookies are absolutely excellent! I'm going to try some when I get a chance. If we are on the same wavelength than this is the site: http://www.wandajeans.com/order.htm

Cheerio!

Last edited by Mamabeek : Thu, Jun-05-03 at 17:14.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 13:12
Registered Member

Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

For my weekday breakfast, I usually toast 2 slices of whole wheat bread and spread fat-free cream cheese or salsa over top. You could make instant oatmeal (the Quaker's regular, non-flavoured is legal level 1) with decaf flavoured tea (peach, raspberry, vanilla nut, creme caramel ...) and sweeten with a little Splenda. If you have Wondercocoa (decaffeinated cocoa powder), you could make chocolate oatmeal with that.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 13:19
Registered Member

Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

Another idea: you could hard cook a bunch of eggs on the weekend and leave them in the fridge for a quick breakfast.

I like to make what I call "pudding" for a sweet pro/fat snack. This is my variation on a recipe I found on the SS boards:

1½ cup whipping cream
small block (or half the large block) cream cheese, softened
approx 1/3 cup Splenda (try ½ cup for sweeter, ¼ for less sweet)
1 tsp vanilla

Beat whipping cream in small mixing bowl until soft peaks form. In medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, Splenda and vanilla together until smooth and creamy. Add whipped cream and blend. Really nice with berries!