Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 22:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Hi and welcome, TrainerDan
Those sound like some awesome races - you'll definitely have to keep us updated on your training progress and how the races go. Good luck with the 30 foot wall!

TaraTea, thanks for the exercise recommendations! Will definitely start incorporating those into my routine.

The knee pain was (is) pretty bad - I was having a hard time just walking around. The doc checked it out and said I did something to a ligament. He thinks I can do the half marathon, but I'm a little worried. Like maybe it's the old joke, "Hey, will I be able to play the violin after surgery?" "Of course." "Great, because I couldn't before!"
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-12, 11:56

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Did a 6 mile run on Sunday ... was supposed to be 7, but my Achilles tendon on my right foot started to bother me a little around mile 3, so I cut it short.

Took yesterday off and rested it, feels OK now. Will be doing some extra foam rolling/lacrosse ball rolling on my lower legs every day now. Plan on extra extra warm up time for the ankle now too ... Doing some treadmill hill work tonight after upper body training.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-12, 15:04

Plan: Lowcarb
Stats: 164/143/130 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hi everyone, so excited to find this thread...no exactly a runner yet, but hoping to eventually.
I just started this week doing 8 week running plan, so walking and jogging. I've been out twice and am totally loving it...I'm 47 and never thought I could run! I have always pushed too hard and when I was bent over almost dying, I figured I just wasn't cut out to run...but now, I'm so pyched to do maybe a 5k someday!!

anyway, love reading about everyone's races and tips...I also have a "bad" knee where I pulled ligaments 30 years ago..it's been great so far, cause I only go jogging every other day, which gives it a rest...never knew that either, but am looking to do some exercises to strengthen those muscles so I won't injure myself when I do start running . I do pilates on my off days, but think I need to do some specific exercises for my knee.

Any advice is welcome.
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-12, 19:31

BF:

Dear Everyone,
Help! I'm supposed to be able to resume running around Wednesday, and I'm raring to go! I'm also a little worried about making things worse. For anyone who has come back from an injury, how did you know when to push through the pain and when to back off?

Hi, Gaspesiene! Welcome! I'm looking forward to hearing all about your journey to a 5K. I've also heard that it's a good idea to keep your running to every other day. Maybe we can encourage each other in the knee strengthening department.

Trainerdan- How's the achilles?

Taratea- Have you run any of your after dark races yet? I'm looking forward to hearing about them. Do you do deadlifts with the big weights (I don't know what they are actually called) or with dumbbells?

Hope y'all have a great week!
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 09:36

BF:

Hi Ferrygirl,

yes, I am running every other day, and I think this is making a big difference (so far no pain).

Started w2d1 today, however, I forgot to check the schedule before heading out this morning and it was only when I was nearing the end of my first 60 second run that I realized this, so I ran for 90 seconds and walked for 90 seconds. Wasn't till later when I checked and saw I was supposed to walk for 2 minutes...ah well, I'll get it right on Wednesday, lol. I thought it was funny.

I also haven't been stretching much before and after, so today I printed out the stretching exercises from the c25k website...need all the help I can get to remain injury free.

have a great day.
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-12, 20:11

BF:

LOL! I found Week 2 kind of confusing, too. Is your running still going well?

Last night, I did my first road run since my knee injury (5K). I could feel my knee talking to me and complaining a bit, but it seems to be doing OK. If I can get up early enough tomorrow morning, I might try for a slightly longer run.

Hope everyone is enjoying end-of-summer running!
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-12, 08:16

BF:

hi Ferrygirl,

the running is going very well.. I started w3d1 today, ran the full 3 minutes without stopping, twice .
I have never run 3 minutes non-stop in my life...so awesome!
dropped another pound, finally getting myself back in shape and healthy.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-12, 07:42

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Trainerdan- How's the achilles?

Still sore. :-( I have slowed down my pace during longer runs ... and have been using a heating pad on it for 30 minutes before runs, and again 30 minutes before bedtime. I also ice it after runs. It's tolerable, but I think I will be taping it during my race next weekend.

As if that weren't enough, my left knee is a little sore now too. Felt it during my 8 mile run last Saturday. It was really sore the following day, but feels OK now. Haven't run on it since ... have also been using a heating pad on it every night before bed.

I'm going to try a light run tomorrow morning to see how everything is doing. Will be using heating pads on both kness and ankles prior to warming up ... and will be doing an extended, full warm up before heading out to run.
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-12, 15:46

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%

i ran two 5ks on two different weekends last month. i did the glow run and neon nights and both were a blast. i'm getting closer to a sub 30 minute race time which is one of my goals. i ran the last race in 32 minutes.

ferrygirl- i like to use kettle bells for my dead lifts and squats. i use dumbbells for my lunges though. i go as heavy as i can for 8-10 reps and do 3 sets.

i haven't been online as much lately, but i'm getting ready for vacation. of course, i'm taking my running shoes. i can't wait to go for a run in Portland.
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-12, 19:17

BF:

Gaspesiene- Congrats on the three minutes! I think that is the best part of C25K - each week, you hit a new milestone. Such a good feeling!

Trainerdan- I hope your knee and achilles are ok! How did the race go? Or is it next weekend? Did the taping help?

Taratea- Congrats on completing your 2 5Ks! You are getting really close to a sub-30 5K! Do you have any races coming up this fall?

I had a local 5K this weekend. It was a little crazy, because there were only a handful of adult runners, and hundreds of students! It was like an obstacle course. It was great to see so many students out there (I think some of them were not there of their own volition), but I definitely had to stay on my toes to avoid collisions. In my division, I came in 3rd (out of 7 or 8), but I was still excited. I got a bronze medal! My first medal!

This week, I've got to get back into training for distance.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-12, 14:45

BF:

started week 5 today and did 3 - 5 minute runs...felt so good! I was doubtful, but it really was easy. Friday is 20 minutes non stop no walking...hard to believe I'll be able to run it..we'll see!
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-12, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrygirl

Taratea- Congrats on completing your 2 5Ks! You are getting really close to a sub-30 5K! Do you have any races coming up this fall?

i'm back from vacation, so it's back to training. i have an obstacle course 5k coming up on october 20th. i managed to lose 3 lbs while i was gone, so i'm excited about that.

congrats on your medal!
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-12, 09:28

BF:

congratulation TaraTea on losing while on vacation, good focus.

finished W5D3 today..ran for 20 minutes in total...actually did 22 minutes and could have went further...who would have thunk???

2 days off and back at it on Monday.

have a great weekend all.
M-A
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-12, 03:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspesiene
finished W5D3 today..ran for 20 minutes in total...actually did 22 minutes and could have went further...who would have thunk???
Woohoo!!! Congrats! Isn't that the best feeling?

TaraTea- wow, 3lbs down on vacation? That's pretty awesome. Did you get to run in Portland, and did you enjoy it?

I just finished my last long run before my half marathon on the 30th. Definitely feeling more confident about the race (as long as I didn't injure anything on the long run...we'll see what happens when the endorphins wear off).

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-12, 02:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspesiene

congrats, Gaspesiene! doesn't it feel great?! will you be considering your first 5k soon?

ferrygirl - i went for 6 mile hike up a small mountain for the best view of Mt Hood. i also went for a three mile run in portland. that place is amazing for people who are into fitness.