Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 22:54

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%
Default Looking for LC'ers in Santa Fe, New Mexico

Moving to Santa Fe soon and would love to know if there are any low carb/paleo groups.

Or should we start one?

Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-11, 15:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/235/232 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Hey katmeyster (hope I got that right!)

I am in Santa Fe and have been attempting low carb for several years... but am getting serious about it and excercise this year.

Would love to get together and share stories, issues, successes, etc.

I joined this forum because I saw your post last night so I am new ... I assume we can send PMs?

Looking forward to talking...

Carol
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-11, 15:13

BF:

I should also add that I read tons of stuff about low carb living... especially Jimmy Moore's blog and all of his podcasts and try to keep up on the latest science re low carb, ketosis, benefits, Gary Taubes latest book etc.

tx... Carol
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 19:43

Hi Carol,

Just saw your message tonight. We're leaving right now to go and find something relatively low carb to eat.

I'll right more later if you're still around and still interested in lc'ing in Santa Fe.

Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-14-11, 06:11

BF:

Hey kat... Good to hear from you!

Yes... Would love to talk about lcing... Gave you moved yet?

Thx... Carol
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-15-11, 11:00

Carol,

We've been very busy getting settled in here, getting the house in shape, and then taking off on weekends to go hiking in the mountains or touring by car -- its just so beautiful everywhere. We came from Las Cruces and it would take two hours just to get to the mountains.

Even though I still have a lot of weight to lose, low carb has given me the energy to go hiking and enjoy the activities I wouldn't normally be able to do. I still hate exercise for exercise sake, but love to do activities that just happen to be a work out: hiking, walking, dancing, gardening, photography, etc.

Last night some friends wanted to go to Annapurna for dinner, but we said it wouldn't have enough protein for us (or the ability to work around the menu).

We ended up at Jambo Cafe and I had the jerk chicken that normally comes with basmati rice and plantains. They were able to substitute the rice and plaintains with spinach for no extra charge.

The only carbs on the plate were red beans so I had a few of those since I occasionally eat a few beans.

I didn't suffer any ill effects so I think the meal was reasonably low-to-moderate carbs. (My body usually lets me know when I've gotten out of hand).

How about you -- where do you eat out?

Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-22-11, 18:30

BF:

Hi Kathy... for some reason I don't think I got an email notifying me of your reply... so I saw it just now... sorry!

I have been low-carbing for a long time... but have also frequently succumbed to "carb creep" periodically. And for a year or two I got sidetracked with South Beach low-fat BS which didn't work for me at all... I'm in the 230s now... and going downward... firmly in ketosis at this point.

I exercise by walking primarily right now... I injured the meniscus in my right knee a couple of years back... may need to have orthroscopic surgery... but hiking, much as I love it (I am a geologist and used to hike everywhere) is a little too up and down right now!

Re restaurants... the last time I ate at Jambo, I ordered curried chicken in a sauce (tamarind I think) that I didn't realize would be so sweet... so that was a bummer.

These days I pretty much go to Trader Joe's and stock up on various types of meat and some veggies and have them throughout the week... It's so much easier to eat the way I want to that way.

I used to eat out a lot... and last week I did go to Santa Fe Bar & Grill... one of my favorite places... and ordered enchiladas but had them hold the tortillas... worked pretty well ... I had a few black beans, but the cole slaw is sweetened... which I forgot, so didn't eat much of that.

I also like the Flying Star in the railyard, more for ambiance than anything else... they have a good cobb salad, and some other things that I leave off the carb component... like burgers, etc. They have a fish dish where you can request no orzo, just spinach... and that's really good... altho sometimes the meat is overseasoned.

Bumble Bee's off of Guadalupe is a great sort of Mexican style restaurant and you can ask for anything "naked" there and get it sans tortillas... they have a taco salad in a cheese basket, instead of tortilla... Love that place... the fish tacos are awesome, as is their broasted chicken... albeit they do soak it in brine first, so it's a bit too salty if you eat a lot of it. I kind of avoid it now actually...

Hidden Chicken on St Michael's has a menu that can be customized to low carb... they have great broasted chicken too... I ran into Shirley Maclaine there one time!

I'll see if I can think of some more options...

Glad you guys are getting settled in... let's meet for lunch/dinner sometime if you feel like it!

Talk soon... Carol
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-11, 20:13

BF:

Hey Kathy... just dropping by to say hi... how are you getting settled in?

Wanted to add that Bumble Bee's has a great Rancheros salad that you can top with steak,chicken, shrimp or mahi mahi... had it last week it is so good!

Hope you are well.... Carol