Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 23:18

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 199.6/184/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default What kind of milk do you give your kids (if any)?

Just curious what kind of milk your kids are drinking?

I am relatively new to all this, but last week I switched my 4-year-old daughter from organic cow milk to almond milk after reading the labels and realizing that they had the same calcium but that the cow milk had 12 grams of carbs (11 sugar, I think) and the almond milk had 1 gram. We also bought some coconut milk to try today. Luckily, my daughter LOVES the almond milk, so we even got a doctor's note so that I can supply it for her at her preschool.

Please tell me what you do and why! I'm so interested to learn more because I want to do the very best for my daughter. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 08:29

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

hi! Good for you for challenging against the milk board propaganda

we don't rely on dairy for calcium at all~my son can't tolerate it and besides that, dairy is high in phosphorus which blocks calcium absporption.

When my son drinks milk it's almond milk. He eats lots of green leafie veg, eats salmon bones, and takes calcium supplements. Also cofactors like vite d, magnesium, heavy weight bearing exercise...

lowcarbpaleopregnancy.blogspot.com/2011/09/ive-been-off-of-dairy-for-long-time-for.html?m=1
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 08:58
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

We don't drink milk here either. They get their calcium from other sources such as almonds, fish, dark green leafy vegetables.

Were not always successful at getting them to eat those as foods themselves, but when you add them to other foods (stirfry, smoothies etc) then it gets in there.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 11:23

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163/121/135 Female 5ft. 7 inches
BF:Just perfect:)
Progress: 150%

Goat Milk only in our household........
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 11:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/195/175 Female 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

My kids all drank raw milk when they were growing up. We have a dairy (Jersey cows) so it was easy to get fresh raw milk. As they got older they drank less milk but I still cook with raw cream and butter. We recently switched our cows to all grass fed which I have been reading is better than grain fed.

I think your almond milk sounds really good though and I would like it because of less sugar!

I think the only milk I would warn against is soy.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-11, 17:03
Registered Member

Plan: high fat
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I give my 2 1/2 yr old son whole cow's milk, either organic or at least labelled rbgh free. I am not worried about the carbs for him, and I prefer to give him the saturated fat from the milk. I think grass fed and/or raw would be ideal, but it's not in the cards for us right now. Ever since my son turned one, my pediatrician mentions that we can switch him to lowfat milk, but to me, that would take away the most important benefits the milk offers.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 19:04

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

my kids drink either raw milk from a friends cow, or organic whole milk if i cant get it for some reason. i only use cream myself for the odd cup of tea or coffee and i often use coconut milk.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-12, 14:59

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

My kid(s) will drink organic whole milk. I don't want them to become lactose intolerant, which I understand can happen if one stops drinking milk since milk is not naturally consumed by adults.